Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2014, 08:42 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,906,202 times

Advertisements

Real estate has always been a hobby of mine. Following the trends and sales, more specifically. I just about fell off my chair just now. The local community paper that I still subscribe to despite my relocation had an insert this week for Real Estate.

Inside was an ad for the Generals Row houses in Garden City, which I knew as military housing. After googling it I see the prices for these, all redone homes is approximately $700K. Ok fine, Garden City address etc, I get it, until I read the fine print. Uniondale school district. Really, you are going to pay that much and be in Uniondale school district. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2014, 04:45 PM

131 posts, read 330,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Real estate has always been a hobby of mine. Following the trends and sales, more specifically. I just about fell off my chair just now. The local community paper that I still subscribe to despite my relocation had an insert this week for Real Estate.

Inside was an ad for the Generals Row houses in Garden City, which I knew as military housing. After googling it I see the prices for these, all redone homes is approximately $700K. Ok fine, Garden City address etc, I get it, until I read the fine print. Uniondale school district. Really, you are going to pay that much and be in Uniondale school district. Please.

If they were in the Garden City School District they would sell for well over $1mm with $30K+ in property taxes. I am assuming the people buying those town homes will use private/parochial schools.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:27 PM

I know my Dh is from GC. My point was $700k is a lot of $$ to spend and be in Uniondale school district. These are not the townhomes either but center hall colonials. The military families used to live in them and even when they were rundown they were charming, as I was in them back then.

Old 03-30-2014, 06:52 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
They have been on the market for at least 2 years, maybe longer, Never gonna sell. Not at that price. That location isn't even that attractive.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
They have been on the market for at least 2 years, maybe longer, Never gonna sell. Not at that price. That location isn't even that attractive.
Wow, I knew the Avalon townhouses were up quite a while ago but I did not realize the colonials were renovated and on the market that long.

Old 03-30-2014, 09:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,931,456 times
They had been listed at $649K... and they upped the price.

I lived in #313 for two years.

IMHO... they ruined the house. There was a built in in the formal dining room... and a magnificient crystal and 14 kt gold plated chandelier.. in each one of these homes. Swinging door from the fdr to the kitchen. The original kitchen layout had many more cabinets... and much more counter space.

So much for these open floor plans.

They also took out the 6 over 6 windows.. and used cheap replacements. The sun room windows are wrong as well.

The single garage used to be under the house...in our house.. under the kitchen. All the garages are gone.. and the houses on the odd side.... lost 1/2 their backyards AND their back alley.

I loved our house. I hate what Avalon has done to it.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:00 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Wow, I knew the Avalon townhouses were up quite a while ago but I did not realize the colonials were renovated and on the market that long.

Yes, it's been quite a while. Longer than Avalon has been there. I've been gone almost 4 years and they went up for sale not much after I left. I used to follow the RE market much more closely and was checking pretty often when they went on the market. It's been awhile since I looked.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:36 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,722,766 times
Forget the Uniondale school district. These homes are in a really bad location.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:49 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,931,456 times
These houses would best suit people without children....who love to shop. Taxes are under $10k.

They have sold one that I know.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
They had been listed at $649K... and they upped the price.

I lived in #313 for two years.

IMHO... they ruined the house. There was a built in in the formal dining room... and a magnificient crystal and 14 kt gold plated chandelier.. in each one of these homes. Swinging door from the fdr to the kitchen. The original kitchen layout had many more cabinets... and much more counter space.

So much for these open floor plans.

They also took out the 6 over 6 windows.. and used cheap replacements. The sun room windows are wrong as well.

The single garage used to be under the house...in our house.. under the kitchen. All the garages are gone.. and the houses on the odd side.... lost 1/2 their backyards AND their back alley.

I loved our house. I hate what Avalon has done to it.

I obviously have not seen them recently but I share your opinion. They were stunning. I commented to DH that they looked "cold" from the pictures and how much I loved the "old" house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: