Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Have not heard the term "housing authorities" but thanks for clarifying it. And the residents right to refuse is fine, I would. Necromancing, good one I had to look that up... Because the example you gave is not a frequent occurrence I just did a search for this type of event in LI and that was one of the first returns. The point is idiots either KKK, or some other stupid group are in every state and not unique to here. Besides this will all fall by the wayside and everyone will argue why the student got into all 8 Ivy leagues and not one from their own district who you know was just as if not more qualified...
I guess I should have made that clear in the beginning that nobody has to let the inspector in, but if they don't it then goes through the court and more often than not the judge grants an inspection order that the homeowner cannot ignore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 02:06 PM

260 posts, read 450,810 times
But WHO will tend to the gardens?! The indignity of having to mow my own lawn is preposterous, I vehemently oppose.

Old 04-01-2014, 02:16 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,942 times
Your assumption that most illegal apartmeNT dwellers are mostly illegal aliens is preposterous. Heck 44% of LI homeowners can't even afford their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
LMAO! How naïve you are! Who is going
to pay the rent while they wait 8-10 years for a section 8 voucher on the waiting list? They are also only for people legally in this country. Same for the hotel/motel rent via welfare. Unless the day laborer is PRUCOL (and those are 99% women with one anchor baby or more), it is very hard to get services other than emergency care in a public hospital. Being guardian of an anchor baby is the key. Day laborers are usually men on their own who will NOT be getting social services freebies in their name except emergency medical care. Their only hope to grab taxpayer money is to hook up with a woman who has an anchor baby and leech off of her services.

Now after reading this, can't you see how wrong that is? To work and pay no taxes, but to live off OUR tax money? But, no, I guess you'd rather empty more and more of your pockets to hand out to unscrupulous foreigners who don't even belong here and do without yourself, right? You're like the frog being boiled VERY slowly ... paying more and more and more taxes to give them more and more and more freebies until one day you are living like the pauper and you go and apply for food stamps (SNAP as they snappily call it) and you will get the shock of your life that you make $2 too much to qualify for 1 food stamp and you go to work hungry!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
But WHO will tend to the gardens?! The indignity of having to mow my own lawn is preposterous, I vehemently oppose.
Make your kids do the lawns and gardens. Also, that is a stereotype that illegal aliens only do yardwork. Stop stereotyping!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Your assumption that most illegal apartmeNT dwellers are mostly illegal aliens is preposterous. Heck 44% of LI homeowners can't even afford their homes.
We are only talking about a certain area (New Cassel/Westbury), not all of Long Island! Read the title of the thread!

Old 04-01-2014, 02:46 PM

260 posts, read 450,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Make your kids do the lawns and gardens. Also, that is a stereotype that illegal aliens only do yardwork. Stop stereotyping!
I am a stereotyping racist....it's true. As for my kids doing the lawn....my snowflakes are much to precious, is this not Nassau county?

Old 04-01-2014, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
I am a stereotyping racist....it's true. As for my kids doing the lawn....my snowflakes are much to precious, is this not Nassau county?
I was a Nassau special snowflake myself. Your snowflakes will still grow up to be perfectly respectable victims of the IRS if they do the lawn, trust me, I know from personal experience! Gardening day was a hoot for me and my siblings! Dibs on the electric hedge clipper to make maniacal topiary animals! Run back and forth with the lawn mower like maniacs! Attack younger brother because I caught him letting his dog pee on the tomato seedlings in the vegetable garden in the backyard! Our industriousness was noticed by the next-door neighbors because before we knew it we were lent out to help with scraping and repainting of their house! Yet another hint: teach your kids how to paint and wallpaper to save money! Us and the neighbor kids became experts! This resulted in my brother making the infamous comment to my parents: "You just had kids to have slaves!" LOL!

Old 04-01-2014, 08:55 PM

321 posts, read 595,872 times
I would like to clarify this since it seems to be a point of confusion for many people. You are not obligated to let inspectors into your home.

No one can enter your home against your will without a court order.

If a home inspector comes to your house and you refuse to let them in, they will put a lein on your property with the town. This will only hurt you if you try to apply for a CO for the house. From that point forward, they will not grant any CO's on the property unless you allow a full inspection.

As I had mentioned earlier in the thread. I have heard of several instances where the towns have been responding to Craigslist ads. They will have a town inspector respond to an ad, posing as a prospective renter. The town employee will gain access to the house undercover and then sign an affidavit that they witnessed whatever violations are taking place. Then the following day another town official will return and issue the summonses.

Some of the summonses issued for illegal apartments and subdivisions are actually criminal complaints and can be directed to first district court.

I am very wary of the erosion of our constitutional rights. I would never condone forced searches of a person's home without a warrant. However, if you are bold enough to be publicly advertising illegal rental space and you are willing to let strangers into your house then I say you get whatever is coming to you.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:59 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post
The area of Westbury being targeted, primarily New Cassel, is a haven for illegal aliens. These families are not going to show up in homeless shelters. They are going to relocate to Hempstead, Huntington Station and Freeport.

The idea of declining enrollment in the Westbury SD is laughable.

But, if there were so many children in the Westbury SD being sent to school from illegal rentals that ENTIRE schools would be closed then I think it would be a perfect example of just how rampant and out-of-control the tax burden is for people that live in these communities legally.
New Cassel is not part of the Village of Westbury, so it's not being targeted. If anything, all the illegals in Westbury will move to New Cassel. The section of the village East of Post Ave & south of the Northern State has it the worst, as the illegal rentals have expanded west from New Cassel. This new policy will help keep them out, but like I said, New Cassel will just get more crowded. North Hempstead is reluctant to address the illegal housing in New Cassel (which is an unincorporated hamlet of N.Hempstead Town). We all know why N.Hempstead is reluctant, because those in power want the cheap labor for landscaping in the rich north shore areas they represent.
But I'm glad Westbury is cracking down, the people have spoken and were fed up with the flophouses with junky cars parked all lawns, trash everywhere, music blasting, and public intoxication. The Village has finally connected the dots, and realized the Post Ave revitalization & gentrification of Westbury cannot happen as long as there's an illegal housing problem.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:02 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Many of these illegal apartment dwellers are LI natives or have been in the area for a long time. No way they leave for trailer parks in other states. Are they only going to bust homes where hispanics live or everyones illegal basement or m/d cape apartment?
Pretty sure they're targeting homes where there's visible evidence of illegal housing, many cars parked in driveway/grass (esp w/out of state plates), garbage piled up, multiple satellite dishes, complaints about many ppl coming & going,etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island