Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 09:34 AM

111 posts, read 223,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delnagg View Post
I currently live in Chicago, IL, and I just got a job in Oceanside, NY. I'm in my late 20s, and I'm looking for a place to live with easy access to gyms, yoga studios, coffee shops, and the city. Any suggestions on where to live?
Agree with the others recommending RVC. Downtown has at least 2 yoga studios, 3 gyms, plenty of coffee shops, and very easy access to Penn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 11:43 AM

4 posts, read 6,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I feel like I hear this a lot on this board.

Exactly what jobs are people moving here for? Cop or teacher I could understand as they make ridiculous $$ but most other jobs on LI are not that great. The better $$ for more other jobs is in the city.

I just graduated from medical school, and I'll be moving here for my training, which is 3 years. I'll definitely be getting paid less than minimum wage when you consider the 90 hours I'll be working a week and time spent studying. Should've been a cop, I guess.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 AM

4 posts, read 6,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
If it's in your budget, I agree with Brooklyn (however, keep in mind that, even though your job will be on Long Island, if you're living in Brooklyn you'll pay city income tax, so that'll add to the cost of Brooklyn). Otherwise, definitely Long Beach or Rockville Centre - personally, for late-20s, I think Long Beach is probably a better fit, but you should check out both areas and see which one feels like a better fit.
Thank you so much for the feedback! I have been looking at places closer to the city such as Forest Hills Gardens, which is off the LIRR. Is that a good in-between place? Long Island City has also been suggested. It seems like I'll need to bring my car out to NY if I live in Long Island City.

Is it possible for me to have a car at all?

I'll definitely look into Fort Greene in Brooklyn, Long Beach, and Rockville. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

Old 04-01-2014, 12:08 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,058 times
Quote:
Thank you so much for the feedback! I have been looking at places closer to the city such as Forest Hills Gardens, which is off the LIRR. Is that a good in-between place? Long Island City has also been suggested. It seems like I'll need to bring my car out to NY if I live in Long Island City.

Is it possible for me to have a car at all?

I'll definitely look into Fort Greene in Brooklyn, Long Beach, and Rockville. Thank you so much for the suggestions!
Unless your job in Oceanside happens to be walking distance to the LIRR station, you're going to need a car to get back & forth to work no matter where you live, so you should be planning on bringing your car no matter where you end up. (Once you get off the LIRR in Oceanside, there's no public transportation, so unless you have a really kind co-worker who's willing to pick you up and drop you off from the train every day or a salary that permits daily cabs to/from your employer, it's not going to make much sense to take public transportation to work.)

Long Island City is fun, and not as expensive as Brooklyn - Forest Hills/Forest Hills Gardens is a nice area as well for convenience (and is probably cheaper than LIC), but doesn't seem to have quite as much nightlife. (I know FH has the bars/restaurants on/around Austin, but the scene in LIC is livelier/trendier/etc. overall, I think.)

Old 04-01-2014, 06:36 PM

61 posts, read 153,086 times
Check out Astoria. It's above Long Island City and some people consider it a part of Astoria but you should look into it. Tons of restaurants, bars, coffee houses, yoga, etc.

Old 04-01-2014, 07:24 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
I just graduated from medical school, and I'll be moving here for my training, which is 3 years. I'll definitely be getting paid less than minimum wage when you consider the 90 hours I'll be working a week and time spent studying. Should've been a cop, I guess.
Suffolk County cops are some of the highest paid cops in the nation - if not THE highest.

Good luck with the training!

Old 04-01-2014, 09:49 PM

11,629 posts, read 12,688,546 times
If you are going to do your residency at South Nassau or Mercy, you will need a car. The railroad stations are not within walking distance of these hospitals and while the bus stops right in front, they are slow.

Considering that you will be working 90 hours a week, including nights and weekends, I would advise living closer to the hospital. Rockville Centre would be closer. While Long Beach might be more fun, it is rather isolated, and the roads sometimes get flooded during bad weather during different parts of the year. As a hospital worker, you won't have the luxury to work from home or easily take time off if you get stranded on the road at 3 AM in a snowstorm. It would be a fast and easy drive for you to go to Long Beach when you have time for fun and you could always visit the city for fun during your time off. As a first year resident, as you know, you'll be working all kinds of crazy hours, be on call, and won't be partying every night. As someone who has to use the hospital from time to time, I prefer the residents to be well-rested and have their wits about them.

Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,058 times
With the added information that you'll be working 90 hours a week, I'd say go with Rockville Centre, or even Oceanside itself - Oceanside doesn't really have a "main street" of its own to speak of, but it's a safe, middle-class area and it's about a 7 minute drive from the main street area in RVC, and around 15-20 minutes to Long Beach. (There are also lots of businesses in Oceanside, so you won't be lacking for supermarkets/shopping/etc., although you'll probably have to go to RVC or Long Beach for yoga.)

Old 04-02-2014, 08:22 AM

260 posts, read 450,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
With the added information that you'll be working 90 hours a week, I'd say go with Rockville Centre, or even Oceanside itself - Oceanside doesn't really have a "main street" of its own to speak of, but it's a safe, middle-class area and it's about a 7 minute drive from the main street area in RVC, and around 15-20 minutes to Long Beach. (There are also lots of businesses in Oceanside, so you won't be lacking for supermarkets/shopping/etc., although you'll probably have to go to RVC or Long Beach for yoga.)
Totally agree with this. Given your work requirements, I would live in Oceanside and bring my car. You would be close enough to to Long Beack and RVC to drive to yoga/beach when you have the time.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:28 PM

11,629 posts, read 12,688,546 times
There's a bunch of older apartment buildings along Merrick Rd. on the Oceanside/Baldwin border close to South Nassau. You could check out other rentals on the Oceanside/Baldwin border which may be a bit cheaper than Rockville Centre. It's certainly within a short driving distance of the Rockville Centre stuff for things to do (movie theater, variety of shops, PC Richards, low end through moderate end restaurants, pizza, Starbucks, etc.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island