Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 10:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcasty View Post
Entirely for free! Crazy right? It's the only way Ivies and other higher ed institutions sitting on billions of endowment cash can justify their tax exempt status (current IRS rules qualify them as charitable organizations). Harvard alone reports $30 billion of endowment assets.

Just want to add....we should all be celebrating that our Island is in the spotlight for a GOOD reason. Bunch of sourpusses we are lol, can't just be happy.
Yeah right! God forbid, something remarkably GOOD happens and we be happy about it and congratulate the person who worked so hard for it! Someone mentioned this story on the "Why so many condos for 55 and over ..." thread and here's an idiotic response someone wrote, putting the accomplishment down:

Quote:
Graduating from an Ivy League school doesn't make you more successful or earn more money. Ivy League schools don't care about academics. They mostly accept students who either devoted the first 18 years of their life to a particular non-academic talent, or who have a sob story, such as someone from William Floyd. Employers know that neither having a sob story nor spending 18 years of your life doing nothing but figure skating or playing the violin does not make you a desirable employee, so they make it very clear that they don't care where your degree is from. If anything, they prefer employees who struggled through mediocre schools.
Just jealous morons ... from "How you gonna pay for that, boy, when you came from a poor town?" to "An Ivy League education don't mean that much anyway!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,030,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Grants from the schools themselves, which are flush with endowments and are dedicated to helping students who do not come from money be able to attend also. Do some research before you come here and shout and scream (?!?!?!) assumptions about things you obviously have neither experience nor any knowledge about.
lol - shout and scream... I was honestly curious - nothing more. I appreciated the replies and links. So go easy - I'm just a dopey product of a LI public school and the SUNY system (when it was actually reasonably priced). I have Elementary aged kids now. Although I'm putting money away for them it's a long way off for me to worry about in depth research - although the university system in NC is one of the bigger reasons I moved here and probably don't have to worry about endowments to Ivy league for the poor at my salary. So in the end, I will accept being scolded by you because you have delicate ears (?!?!?!? = surprise, not screaming) for something that has nothing to do with my personal future.

... and try not to be so uptight all the time. You'll be happier at the end of the day.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM

8,695 posts, read 11,084,011 times
NY post said his essay was the key reason for his acceptance. Good essay

[scribd]215907419[/scribd]

Old 04-02-2014, 01:11 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What were you expecting? An ebonics-filled grammatically incorrect rant complete with "shout-outs" to his buds and his hands flashing gang signs? Really now!
No, but just the quality of how he speaks places him well above the average graduate. Too often you see scholarship recipients on TV talking like they just got out of the third grade.

Old 04-04-2014, 01:58 PM

111 posts, read 223,216 times
Just to throw my two cents in about what it means to overcome a bad school district or poor parenting...

I'm a children's librarian. I've researched early literacy and been trained in helping to develop it. I've conducted storytimes for both children in the affluent community where I work, as well as a nearby Head Start group. The anecdotal difference between the two groups is staggering, in terms of the knowledge they already have, their word recognition, their behavior. The first group is entirely white; the second has one white kid out of about 35 kids in total.

Here are some selected stats (sourced from here, which contains citations), the latter of which made my jaw hit the floor when I first heard it in grad school:
  • In virtually every state, minority and low-income children are less likely to be read to every day than their non-minority and higher income peers.
  • As a result of this and other factors, many children from low-income families enter kindergarten with a listening vocabulary of 3,000 words, while children of middle/upper-income families enter school with a listening vocabulary of 20,000 words.
That is a TREMENDOUS disadvantage that a lot of low-income kids enter kindergarten with, and many of them never close the ensuing gap. Other factors working against these children are listed on the site I linked.

Please bear things like this in mind when claiming that everyone is on an equal footing. They aren't. They just aren't.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
^ yes there was an article about the difference in vocabulary: Language gap between rich and poor kids begins in infancy, Stanford study find

Old 04-04-2014, 02:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No, but just the quality of how he speaks places him well above the average graduate. Too often you see scholarship recipients on TV talking like they just got out of the third grade.
Oh, okay, I never saw one who sounded like that. Really the bottom line is people should stop worrying about whether this was "affirmative action run amok." Does anyone on this thread really think whatever school this kid ends up choosing he will flunk out in the first year and waste the seat in the class that "could have" gone to a white or Asian kid? I don't. I am sure he will be fine and go on to a great career. Kudos to him. He did a lot of hard work to get where he is at and I don't see him slacking off now or being "too dopey" to make it in one of these schools compared to the other kids who were accepted. I got annoyed at this thread because we all know if this was a white or Asian kid who graduated from one of the premier public schools on LI nobody would doubt him or bat an eye over it.

Old 04-04-2014, 03:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracer88 View Post
Since you put it that way, then yes I am. the "race" question should be removed from all applications. Lets make this really fair.
The race and ethnicity question needs to be removed from ACT and SAT forms as well.

My son was receiving letters from Harvard on a regular basis. His grades were good (solid A) his ACTs were great his SATs were good. He's Hispanic.

Hispanic Male. That's why Harvard wanted him. His grades weren't as stellar as Kwasi Enin's, nor did he even apply to Harvard. The only way Harvard got wind of him was via ACT or SAT.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:26 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
So you're saying you don't believe his accomplishment is the result of his own efforts, but is instead the result of "affirmative action." That's devaluing his achievement on the basis of his race. You can try to polish it however you want, but that's the true meaning of what you're saying here.

Edited to Add: This is why URMs can never "win" - when members of URMs don't achieve, they're written off as "just another ::insert URM status here::," and when they do achieve, no one ever believes they "deserve" it, because any achievement, no matter how remarkable, is automatically written off/knocked down/devalued as "affirmative action."
This guy won. At the end of the day he was accepted into 8 Ivy Leagues, and his critics on this forum weren't. All they can do is hate and be better while he moves on with his life.

So let them knock it down. It's like the President. People can ***** about Obama, but he is still a two term President. And really that's the same for any President. No intelligent person with the potential to be successful would let lame people get in their way or knock them down.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:28 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Are you stuck in the 80s?

It's right there in your face....Affirmative action. AA (positive discrimination), in and of itself, is racism. This does go on at the college admissions level. Perhaps it was needed 40 or 50 years ago. Now it's modern day racism. Deny it all you want. You seem to be the racist for supporting that.
Proof that it's occurring, please? I think you want there to be no non whites in colleges. In other words, you want things to be there as they were in the 1950s. You're the one that's stuck out of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island