Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 8,590 times

Advertisements

I was wondering that since New York city public schools will have full-time Pre-Kindergarten from next year, will school districts in Long Island also follow suit? As I understand, the expansion of full-time Pre-K programs in public schools throughout NY state is inevitable over the next few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 08:34 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Nearly every single district in Long Island has had full time kindergarten for like 20 years.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:45 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Nearly every single district in Long Island has had full time kindergarten for like 20 years.
But they haven't had UPK FT.

School districts which do apply for funds for UPK offer PT IIRC.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:47 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
We don't have full day kindergarten, nor do I want it.

And I especially don't want full time pre-k! I'm annoyed at the fact that my current nursery school is requiring that my children attend 4-5 days a week for their 4s program as opposed to 3 days in the past. Needless to say, I'm looking elsewhere (for other reasons in addition to the increase in mandatory days.)

Old 04-07-2014, 09:55 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
We don't have full day kindergarten, nor do I want it.

And I especially don't want full time pre-k! I'm annoyed at the fact that my current nursery school is requiring that my children attend 4-5 days a week for their 4s program as opposed to 3 days in the past. Needless to say, I'm looking elsewhere (for other reasons in addition to the increase in mandatory days.)
Pre-K I can understand having the choice but why wouldn't you want full day K? It doesn't mean they're hitting the books hard for all 6 hours. My kids love school especially lunch, rec, and snack time with their friends. Gym is another favorite.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:58 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
Quote:
My district doesn't offer full day K. There are many districts in my area that do not. I don't really want full day pre-K but I don't think you it's fair to bring in the new CC curriculum and save money by offering half day K.

My kids are fine but my daughter has 25 kids in her first grade class. She does not get much attention at all. Maybe it's because she is a good student but I cannot see the teacher having much time to spend with the individual students. If my children struggled academically, I don't think they could catch up in 1st.

Honestly, how can I be asked to pay for full day pre-K for other kids while my own children have half day K? I would rather see full day K or class sizes come down in my own district.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:10 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Pre-K I can understand having the choice but why wouldn't you want full day K? It doesn't mean they're hitting the books hard for all 6 hours. My kids love school especially lunch, rec, and snack time with their friends. Gym is another favorite.
Agreed- wasn't full-time K standard on LI until pretty recently because of budget cuts? Half day K is a real problem IMO- and it only widens the socioeconomic gap since everyone who can afford Kindergarten enrichment does it (so those who can't afford it end up even further behind). Not to mention that the kids who can afford enrichment have to go to two different schools. Just not an ideal situation for anyone involved.

My big concern with public pre-k would be that they would make it inappropriatly academic. Pre-k now is what K used to be- it would be a shame if they made pre-k academic, which is what my gut tells me will happen down the road.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Garden City only went to full day kindy....maybe 8 years ago? Not every district has it.

Garden City still calls theirs "extended day" - it's about 40 minutes shorter than the first graders go.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:35 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Garden City only went to full day kindy....maybe 8 years ago? Not every district has it.

Garden City still calls theirs "extended day" - it's about 40 minutes shorter than the first graders go.
Where I grew up half day K was standard. But it seems like many districts on LI with half day K are doing it because budget doesn't allow for full day K, not because of an educational philosophy. The tricky part is that unless half day K has always been the norm for a district, you have the parents who can afford it sending their kids to enrichment so you have a much wider socioeconomic gap by the time the kids get to first grade. I have many friends whose kids had half day K as a result of budget cuts and most see it as a real problem. Those in Huntington schools are very excited to finally be getting full day K back.

Edited to add that my own personal philosophy is that half day K is more age-appropriate-- but it's just not realistic anymore with what's expected of first graders these days. And regardless of half day vs full day K, it should be consistent and mandated across NY state.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post

Edited to add that my own personal philosophy is that half day K is more age-appropriate-- but it's just not realistic anymore with what's expected of first graders these days. And regardless of half day vs full day K, it should be consistent and mandated across NY state.
I totally agree. I work as a TA in a kindy class. They are doing ridiculous things in kindy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island