Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 05:11 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
How to lower Long Island's property taxes:

6) Seriously explore the possibility of Long Island statehood. Yes, it would hurt those who commute into the city but it's high time that Long Island stop being used as a cash cow to subsidize the rest of the state. LONG ISLAND FOR LONG ISLANDERS!
One question, what industry will this new state have to support itself and it's obligations to the remaining residents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 06:33 PM

622 posts, read 852,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Sorta ironic considering the burden on property taxes of paying pensions and healthcare for retirees.

Local government should not be involved in that in any way (and in most countries in the world it isn't - that's why local taxes go so much further in, say, Europe - have you seen how good the roads and sidewalks are there! Electricity underground so no outages when it gets windy! Whizz-bang up-to-date sewage plants, great libraries) - that aspect should entirely be = (federal plus personal). Local government should provide local services (education, sewers, police etc.) and that's it, period. Retirement should be through IRAs, social security and savings in our fine state.

You can't welsh on the deal already made to current and former employees, but every new employee going forward has to have a 401K and SS like everyone else in America. That'll get tax burdens under control again.
Forcing the unions away from legally guaranteed pensions and health benefits for life to 401k's, SS and medicare will never happen. It especially won't happen here in NY. You can welsh on promises made, Illinois and Michigan are doing just that. But Illinois and Michigan are not NY, with some of the most powerful unions hard-wired into the local and state political systems.

The end-game here is probably going to be pretty ugly. While I have been complaining to the s.o. for years, we really need to get our sh*$ together and get out. Over the last three years, we paid just under $52k in property taxes. Once taxes have risen to where mine are, I see so many falling into dire circumstances. No matter how well you think you have it on LI, you are being soaked from every direction. And there's not a politician in sight who is doing or even saying the right things. Bellone approves everything the unions want, same with DeBlasio and Cuomo (although Cuomo will put on a big show and tell the media how he is all for the little guy). If you want to work until your buried, which probably will come sooner than later with this lifestyle, you're in the right place.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:34 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
One question, what industry will this new state have to support itself and it's obligations to the remaining residents?
We can lower our taxes to attract industry since we won't have to subsidize the entire state of New York anymore.

Did you know that Long Island only gets back 15 cents of every dollar we send to Albany? If we were a separate state of the Union we could keep every Long Island tax dollar on Long Island and our local taxes would thus be much cheaper. It's not fair being raped by both Albany and Washington ...

Long Island is tired of being Albany's colonial cash cow.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:28 PM

25 posts, read 20,121 times
Default Solutions

The problem we really face is stagnation, we have seen technology improve so many sectors of our society. For example we could have for certain age children some learning from home via webcam and computer, with hundreds of students watching pre recorded lesson plans or streaming of some of the best teachers in the country for the subject they are learning, and of course you could have teachers answering questions or assistants of those professors, via text message, email, twitter, etc. Instead of time wasting to transport to school, moving from class to class, gym, lunch, study breaks, you could enrich so many more minds via computer, also if they child doesn't learn that way we would be able to provide 1 to 1 teaching to elaborate with a lot less teachers that we currently have. Of course children can still go to school, but not as much maybe 1-2 days a week to take exams, social events, sports, etc. You could consolidate so much school districts that way and give children a better education. Another example technology could be used, is allow personal cars to capture footage to be turned in to police so you could submit reckless drivers to receive fines/penalties instead of hiring so many police officers to do this function. Of course there should be a leniency system in the beginning, and I would like to see fines/training involved in penalties to correct bad behavior. Every hospital should have a webcam ER with a Physician, Physician assistant, or nurse to talk to about medical conditions, instead of sometimes going to the ER unnecessarily for a 2,000+ bill, that we the taxpayers eventually pay some how. Hopefully in about 20 years, automated technology will be good enough to have automated garbage trucks/plows/bus/trains. We should be forcing towns/municipalities to allow us to streamline renewable energy(such as solar). Also force pre-funding of employee pensions at least 5% before any employee is hired, so this problem doesn't happen again in the future, where the youth is paying for the mistakes of the prior generations. Also hire more flexible part time employees to cut excessive overtime. Of course there is much more that could be done just my 2 cents.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,554,464 times
Quote:
How to lower Long Island's property taxes:

1) Dissolve the county government with the exception of the Sheriff. Town governments strike the perfect balance of consolidation while still allowing for a degree of local control. This would enable us to do away with the county executive, the county legislature and of course the much hated Suffolk County Police Department and their exorbitant salaries and benefits. We could then make the former SCPD officers into deputy sheriff's on 1/2-2/3 of their former salary and save trillions in payroll costs. All county civil service employees would have the option of transferring to one of the town governments who for the most part have the same agencies and job titles.

2) Create town school districts, ie: one school district for the entire Town of Islip, the entire Town of Babylon, etc. Students would still attend schools in their individual communities in most cases (perhaps for instance the East End districts might only have a single high school due to the smaller student population) and the consolidations would largely only affect the administrative and back office staff. The sole exception is that Shelter Island students would attend Southold Town schools.

3) Mandate that no public employee can make more than the Governor of New York ($179,000/year).

4) Stop electing Democrats and members of the neo-Marxist Working Families Party.

5) Get rid of the MTA payroll tax.

6) Seriously explore the possibility of Long Island statehood. Yes, it would hurt those who commute into the city but it's high time that Long Island stop being used as a cash cow to subsidize the rest of the state. LONG ISLAND FOR LONG ISLANDERS!

I've always assumed that name is ironic. The literal "welfare-claiming individuals party" doesn't sound as good for marketing so they decided not to go with it.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:32 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I've always assumed that name is ironic. The literal "welfare-claiming individuals party" doesn't sound as good for marketing so they decided not to go with it.

The far left always looks for clever ways to disguise their true intentions. Today the Marxists call themselves "progressives" since they know if they call themselves by what they really are they would never get elected.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:03 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
We can lower our taxes to attract industry since we won't have to subsidize the entire state of New York anymore.

Did you know that Long Island only gets back 15 cents of every dollar we send to Albany? If we were a separate state of the Union we could keep every Long Island tax dollar on Long Island and our local taxes would thus be much cheaper. It's not fair being raped by both Albany and Washington ...

Long Island is tired of being Albany's colonial cash cow.
Keep dreaming, your theory would only work if COL and Labor Coasts were cut to a third of the current average. I don't think any one here would be willing to take those kinds of cuts...

Old 05-09-2014, 10:12 AM

400 posts, read 761,096 times
What we actually need is to organize. We need to lobby. We need to hire someone who represents a UNION of taxpayers. Now I know, Union members are tax payers too.... But I am not going to let them into my Union. We need a block, so we can bribe and manipulate the system just like everyone else.

1. Set up a goal. What we want to achieve.
2. Whoever agrees to the goal signs on, pays a small fee and agrees to vote with the group. The fee is for sincerity.
3. Hire a lobbyist to throw our weight around.

We can control elections too if we get organized.

Oh, please do not tell me that is what we have elected officials for.....

Old 05-09-2014, 10:49 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
What we actually need is to organize. We need to lobby. We need to hire someone who represents a UNION of taxpayers. Now I know, Union members are tax payers too.... But I am not going to let them into my Union. We need a block, so we can bribe and manipulate the system just like everyone else.

2. Whoever agrees to the goal signs on, pays a small fee and agrees to vote with the group. The fee is for sincerity.

How true! Excellent post!

Old 05-09-2014, 11:49 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Im on board and Im sure there will be another 2 millions to follow.

I vote you to get it up and running!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island