Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2014, 05:54 PM

429 posts, read 853,692 times

Advertisements

We have a 10x10 ft fish pond that's about 5 ft deep in our backyard. It had a wall of stacked rocks surrounding it, which we didnt have a place to store. After draining the pond and giving away the fish, there were already a lot of the stacked rocks at the bottom which had fallen in over the years. I decided to throw the rest in to help fill the hole and it filled up about half the depth. I'll fill the rest with fill dirt and then top soil for the last 6 inches or so.

Is there any reason I should worry about the buried rocks? Am I breaking any rules by doing this? The only thing I can think of is it might be a huge PITA if we (or a future owner) ever wanted to dig there to expand or build a pool or something, but it's toward the back of the yard, so I can't see that happening and we have no plans to have a pool. Anything else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2014, 08:19 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Your house you can do as you please. You should have seen the stuff I uncovered when we had a foundation dug for an addition.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:31 AM

19,221 posts, read 17,105,490 times
There is something seriously wrong when a person has concern about burying some rocks in a pit on their property. These are rocks not glacial boulders from the last ice age! Who care what a future owner might say if they are installing a pool and if the town has an ordinance on this they need help also...

Old 04-09-2014, 09:02 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,891,671 times
Imagine digging and finding rocks in the dirt? Oh yea, that's normal.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:24 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
We have a 10x10 ft fish pond that's about 5 ft deep in our backyard. It had a wall of stacked rocks surrounding it, which we didnt have a place to store. After draining the pond and giving away the fish, there were already a lot of the stacked rocks at the bottom which had fallen in over the years. I decided to throw the rest in to help fill the hole and it filled up about half the depth. I'll fill the rest with fill dirt and then top soil for the last 6 inches or so.

Is there any reason I should worry about the buried rocks? Am I breaking any rules by doing this? The only thing I can think of is it might be a huge PITA if we (or a future owner) ever wanted to dig there to expand or build a pool or something, but it's toward the back of the yard, so I can't see that happening and we have no plans to have a pool. Anything else?
I'm not following you. First you said it might be a PITA if you ever wanted to dig there to expand or build a pool but then you said you have no plans to have a pool. Who cares about the next owner? Those rocks could have been there when you bought the house. I don't see any reason for you having to disclose buried rocks to a possible future owner.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:33 AM

429 posts, read 853,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm not following you. First you said it might be a PITA if you ever wanted to dig there to expand or build a pool but then you said you have no plans to have a pool. Who cares about the next owner? Those rocks could have been there when you bought the house. I don't see any reason for you having to disclose buried rocks to a possible future owner.
I was just curious if there would be a problem with it, that's all. Before moving here, I didn't know you'd need a permit to build a shed, so I wasn't sure what other rules there might be. I was also curious if someone who is smarter than me might think of a reason why using the rocks as filler might not be a good idea, but it sounds like it's fine.

Thanks.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:40 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,242,257 times
Quote:
I was just curious if there would be a problem with it, that's all. Before moving here, I didn't know you'd need a permit to build a shed, so I wasn't sure what other rules there might be. I was also curious if someone who is smarter than me might think of a reason why using the rocks as filler might not be a good idea, but it sounds like it's fine.

Thanks.
For all anyone knows, those rocks could have always been there

Old 04-09-2014, 12:01 PM

413 posts, read 599,299 times
Quote:

Thanks.

You'll most likely have to have a permit signed off by a licensed geologist stating that the rocks are in fact earthly and not from a meteor or from another town. Also, the rocks cannot be buried directly under the earth's sun or you will need a variance. You'll have to send certified letters to all the worms and gophers in a predetermined area so they can have a chance to object at a hearing. If all goes well, you will only have to pay a few hundred bucks and wait by the mailbox for your CO including buried pond rocks. Frankly you should just take the rocks and dump them on the steps of town hall.

Old 04-09-2014, 01:45 PM

573 posts, read 1,243,368 times
Quote:

Thanks.
You made the mistake of actually showing some concern over how something you do could affect another, unknown person (will the buried rocks be a pain for the next owner?). Such thoughts are not welcome here on Long Island.

You are forgiven, but for your penance go cut off five cars on the parkway, drive 5 miles below the speed limit in the left lane of a parkway, and go to a crowded shopping center and park so your car takes up 2 spots while you shop.

In all seriousness, if/when the dirt settles after some rains, you may just need to apply some more over the top.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island