Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:38 PM

4 posts, read 3,356 times

Advertisements

So, getting back to the original topic, has anyone received their rebate check yet?

I received several e-mails from NY Sandy relief..

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 08:56 AM, NC Sandy Relief wrote:

Dear Mr. ,

You will receive a refund in the form of a check. As the process goes, the Department of Assessment has completed its calculations and the review process. All files have now been turned over to the Assessment Review Commission who will now wait and hear cases of appeals filed by property owners who believe these calculations were arrived at in error. After that process is complete, the entire 8,700 parcels will go to the N.C. Legislature for passage to pay the refunds. When that is finished, it will go to the Treasurer’s Office for payment. I believe that checks will go out by late summer, early fall the latest. If you do not agree with the determination then you will need to file the yellow complaint form by or on May 12TH.

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 07:58 AM, NC Sandy Relief wrote:

It will be sometime in Autumn we expect the refunds to be distributed, but I stress that there is no clear cut answer due to the fact that we have never dealt with anything like this before. This Sandy Relief program is additional processing aside from the usual workload of the all departments involved. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:52 AM, NC Sandy Relief wrote:

> The distribution of the checks has not yet begun. The refund information is presently with the County Comptroller who is conducting an audit. When that is complete they will go to the Treasurer for distribution. We have not been given any specific dates for this process. We are hopeful they will begin distribution before the end of this month.

They went from telling me "late summer, early fall the latest", to "sometime in Autumn", to hopefully before the end of November. When is this check ever going to be sent out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 05:35 AM

556 posts, read 622,587 times
I called and talked to someone in the Assessment Department yesterday December 3rd. I was told that the checks were cut and were being audited by the controller. How long do you think that will take?
My opinion is that they will give us our money for Christmas (like a Christmas Bonus).
After all everything is politically motivated.

Old 12-04-2014, 06:23 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
Nassau County still claims by year end, then again the keep moving dates. I heard some towns in parts of Suffolk straight up told folks 2015.

Also if you live in an Incorporated village like Long Beach who opted into program they also should be sending a check separate from the Nassau ARC check. Long Beach is even more inept than Nassau so that check who knows when it will come.

Interesting part is the check amount is taxable income. Remember you deducted already on your income tax the 2012/2013 Property tax, when you get refunded you have to put it back on return. Some folks will have to decide based on income should you cash check in 2014 or 2015.

Old 12-04-2014, 09:57 PM

4 posts, read 3,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Interesting part is the check amount is taxable income. Remember you deducted already on your income tax the 2012/2013 Property tax, when you get refunded you have to put it back on return. Some folks will have to decide based on income should you cash check in 2014 or 2015.
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll definitely be checking with my accountant! My situation may be complicated by the fact that at the time the property tax was paid, the house may still have been in the name of a deceased parent, and the house now is in the name of two people, only one of whom declared the property tax as a deduction.

Old 12-07-2014, 05:46 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
I called and talked to someone in the Assessment Department yesterday December 3rd. I was told that the checks were cut and were being audited by the controller. How long do you think that will take?
My opinion is that they will give us our money for Christmas (like a Christmas Bonus).
After all everything is politically motivated.

The end is in sight. If they were approved they have to be cut and mailed prior to the close of the calendar year. I used to be a poll worker. The primary checks always took months & months to process and the election day checks always were there before the year end. I asked why for one and not the others and that was the answer.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonepole View Post
Thanks for pointing that out, I'll definitely be checking with my accountant! My situation may be complicated by the fact that at the time the property tax was paid, the house may still have been in the name of a deceased parent, and the house now is in the name of two people, only one of whom declared the property tax as a deduction.
Some folks that applied have since sold house, gone to foreclosure, owners died, couples divorced etc. taking such a long time between application and cutting checks will lead to weird unexpected issues.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:05 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The end is in sight. If they were approved they have to be cut and mailed prior to the close of the calendar year. I used to be a poll worker. The primary checks always took months & months to process and the election day checks always were there before the year end. I asked why for one and not the others and that was the answer.

They've gotten a little better. Was working the polls this year and the primary check arrived five weeks later--election day check took four weeks

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,102,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
THey've aideD gotten a little better. Was working the poll sais this year and the primary c,heck arrived fsive weeks later--election day check took four weeks
Who said Nassau County was hopeless?

Old 12-25-2014, 08:38 PM

Checks are being Mailed!!!!! Check your mail box next few days. Merry Xmas.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:39 PM

Sandy victims receiving tax refund checks - News 12 Long Island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island