Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 01:14 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times

Advertisements

For anyone in Nassau County who had a Sandy Damaged house who applied for the SuperStorm Sandy Property Tax relief has anyone heard back or got a tax cut.

The deadline to apply was almost three months ago. Assessor told me some folks already got the property tax breaks but my form is not yet processed.

Have anyone on this board got the tax break or heard news when we will get it?

Nassau County, Long Island New York
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
For anyone in Nassau County who had a Sandy Damaged house who applied for the SuperStorm Sandy Property Tax relief has anyone heard back or got a tax cut.

The deadline to apply was almost three months ago. Assessor told me some folks already got the property tax breaks but my form is not yet processed.

Have anyone on this board got the tax break or heard news when we will get it?

Nassau County, Long Island New York

Anyone get the notice of the refund yet. A few of my neighbors did and so did I, it was a pretty good discount

Old 11-12-2014, 05:44 AM

556 posts, read 622,764 times
Has anyone heard when the payout will be made? In the summer I called and was told it would be in
late summer/ early fall. In October I was told late fall/early winter. Does anyone else want their refund?

Old 11-12-2014, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Has anyone heard when the payout will be made? In the summer I called and was told it would be in
late summer/ early fall. In October I was told late fall/early winter. Does anyone else want their refund?
Supposedly by Year End. In the world of Govt, December 2014 is timely payment.

BTW what worries me is the SuperStormSandy Assessment Relief act letter on line at Nassau County assessor site says a refund or credit. I wonder if it will actually be a check. Legally homes in pre-foreclosure where owner is no longer paying mortgage the bank continues to pay property tax not the owner. So are we cutting checks for property tax refunds to folks who never paid their mortgage?

Also tons of older folks sadly have passed away since Sandy or folks just sold their house and moved on. Remember, If you filed the Property Damage Review Form (PDRF) shortly after Sandy you did not have to fill out the new form due Jan/2014. Some folks applied back in December 2012 for this break. Think how many homes have been sold or owners died just that you personally know in last three years. Every day that goes by this gets harder to sort out.

Superstorm Sandy Assessment ReliefAct,” will grant Nassau County the legal authority to adjust,retroactively, any property tax assessment to account for losses in value dueto Superstorm Sandy. Once the County Legislature passes an “opt-in” local law,qualifying property owners will have until January 21, 2014 (90 days from theOctober 22, 2013 signing) to make a formal written request to the assessor to ensure that they can be issuedany approved property tax refund orcredit.

Old 11-12-2014, 01:09 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I am sorry but I personally wish there were no property tax relief for you. I am sorry that your homes were destroyed, and I know they were having served on an emergency evaluation team. What happened to you was awful and I would not wish it upon anyone but ................

You chose your home and you knew (or should have done your homework) that you were near the water and close enough that the possibility of such an incident, no matter how remote it might be, always existed. Despite this, you chose to live near the water. So now because you chose that option you expect a reduction when you home is not habitable.

We love the beach, our new home is 2 miles inland from the water and while we would love to be closer, we were not willing to take that chance. In the event of a storm there may be an evacuation that we will have to leave for, because there is only one road in and out of this area. Would I love to be within walking distance of the beach, you betcha, but I am not a big risk taker. I am well aware that the money came form a Community Development grant and not out of the tax payers pockets, or so they said. I am attaching the link to the description of the grant. https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenc...dbg/index.html

So if I still lived on LI, I would not pay to offset your tax reduction with my property taxes being increased. BUT, the money this cost in grant dollars are in fact, dollars that will now not go to their originally stated purpose.

So it is more of the same, total lack of personal responsibility and pass it on. Ah yes the entitlement mentality.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I am sorry but I personally wish there were no property tax relief for you. I am sorry that your homes were destroyed, and I know they were having served on an emergency evaluation team. What happened to you was awful and I would not wish it upon anyone but ................

You chose your home and you knew (or should have done your homework) that you were near the water and close enough that the possibility of such an incident, no matter how remote it might be, always existed. Despite this, you chose to live near the water. So now because you chose that option you expect a reduction when you home is not habitable.

We love the beach, our new home is 2 miles inland from the water and while we would love to be closer, we were not willing to take that chance. In the event of a storm there may be an evacuation that we will have to leave for, because there is only one road in and out of this area. Would I love to be within walking distance of the beach, you betcha, but I am not a big risk taker. I am well aware that the money came form a Community Development grant and not out of the tax payers pockets, or so they said. I am attaching the link to the description of the grant. https://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenc...dbg/index.html

So if I still lived on LI, I would not pay to offset your tax reduction with my property taxes being increased. BUT, the money this cost in grant dollars are in fact, dollars that will now not go to their originally stated purpose.

So it is more of the same, total lack of personal responsibility and pass it on. Ah yes the entitlement mentality.

I live almost three miles from the Beach. I did not buy in a flood zone, nor did I buy a house that ever flooded. It was 50 years old when I bought it and not one drop of water.

Actually, I am not scared of ever getting flooded again. Sandy was a fluke thing two storms pasing at same exact time over my house during a full moon and high tide. I read it was a once in 712 year event.

The Sandy tax cut is based on decline in market value due to home damage. Same as if a fire, tornado did 200K damage to your 400K house you can grieve your taxes and get them cut in half till you fully repair house. However, in this case it is Federal Funds paying. So I am thankful you are chipping in.

Nobody evacuated me. Wish they did as I lost three cars and I would have taken two cars with me.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:01 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post

don't worry, you already paid for the billions in flood insurance and FEMA aid that's already been distributed or will be. Not to mention the federal money for Build it Back and NY Rising.

Fact is, all of us are subsidizing plenty of "stuff" we have no connection to, whether it be pig farmers or the LIRR. It's the American way.

In a world without consequences, it might make sense to abandon all of these flood prone areas. However the economic hit to region in terms of lost tax revenue would be even more catastrophic than the storm itself. And that's not even getting into the havoc that would ensue if large portions of lower Manhattan met a similar fate.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 AM

My property tax relief is based on the value of my property. For years I have been paying more because of the location of my property. Now that the value of my property has declined I am entitled to a rebate on my taxes. That's all this is!
Maybe you will pay your fair share of taxes now.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:06 AM

If you read the recently published FEMA/NFIP letter about the planned flood policy increases starting April 2015 it is quite apparant homes in flood zones will fall once again in value as new rates phase in. Flood insurance is mandatory as part of mortgage and unless home price falls the mortgage becomes unaffordable.

For years Waterfront homes or beach front homes that were often small paid large taxes because they were on water even though they house was not impressive and it cost the town no more than non water front homes.

The non-waterfront and non-beach houses subsidized the landlocked houses. Well the tide has changed. This is only retroactive to the day of Sandy.

My house is all fixed. But the day of Sandy I went from a house that never flooded where flood insurance was optional to a house that flooded with Mandatory flood insurance and in a time period where flood rates are rising significantly over next four years. Since Mandatory the new owner even if a cash buyer is require to have it hence house is worth less permantly in my opinion.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:42 AM

After my flood insurance claim my flood insurance company asked me to get an Elevation Certificate.
The result of the finding was that my first floor ( I have a crawl space) was above the 100 year flood plain.
I now pay almost $500 a year less for my flood insurance. For more than 20 years I've been paying too much!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island