Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Persian Jews are a big pain in the butt, they caused property taxes to shoot up. They took a lot of commerical properties off tax rolls over the years to build temples.
I think the Persian Jews are actually keeping Great Neck North more affordable. The houses in Great Neck South cost more per square foot, because all the Chinese are driving up the price down there since they all want their kids to go to Great Neck South. Meanwhile no one wants to live with the Persian Jews up north so houses (non-Kings Point) are acutally more affordable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 03:36 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n90hurricane View Post
So after driving around the area, I have gained better knowledge of the Great Neck area.

-- Middle Neck Road is a bit lacking in shops. There are the occasional family run businesses I see, but no big names. Restaurants seem very diverse, I hear Gino's is a popular place to eat

-- Surprisingly, the section of Great Neck called Kensington has some big houses too. There are a couple on Nassau Dr, but none of them are on sale.

-- The North schools look very nice. They aren't connected like the South ones are, but driving around they also have very good sports fields.

-- Kings Point Park is huge - what is there to do around the area?

-- Most of the houses are zoned for JFK elementary school. I hear that is one of the town's worst. Any comments on that?

Doing some more research not only around this forum, but other sites, people say that even the North side is being invaded by Chinese/asia people even though they should all be flocking to South. Is that true? And is it so severe that I should stop looking in the Great Neck area?
I think you should let your husband pick where you live.

Old 04-22-2014, 09:52 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,446,637 times
If I was a Jewish Chinese Family from Persia who was rude and annoying I think I would fit in perfectly in Great Neck

Old 04-22-2014, 11:07 AM

22 posts, read 31,499 times
please, I could never make a decision without my husband. He has what I want the most after all

GN South recently finished in #21 in the country's High School rankings, while GN North did not meet the requirements for a placing (possibly because of the SAT crimes?).

Old 04-22-2014, 11:42 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,073,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I think the Persian Jews are actually keeping Great Neck North more affordable. The houses in Great Neck South cost more per square foot, because all the Chinese are driving up the price down there since they all want their kids to go to Great Neck South. Meanwhile no one wants to live with the Persian Jews up north so houses (non-Kings Point) are acutally more affordable
this is somewhat true imo... GN south is closer to highways & 25a....and closer to LIRR. Driving up middle neck road to the north is seemingly feels like a long drive.

Kings point & even parts of non kings point area have popular to knocking down the ranch style houses to make room for the gold gaudy mansion type houses....some with giant gates. Some are an eyesore with the prices to match them

Old 04-25-2014, 05:42 PM

22 posts, read 31,499 times
To test the LIRR commute I took the trains a few time to Great Neck. From my experiences, the trains who stop first at Great Neck are not that crowded. But when it came from Penn Station to Great Neck. Holy hell. I think I might be driving. Crowded as **** on there, lots of douchebag types there too. Goddamn. Plus they do ticket checks too. Is there any other commute option

Old 04-25-2014, 08:20 PM

11 posts, read 64,539 times
Hire a driver/pilot, and buy a house with a helicopter landing pad to fly to 34th street. That will impress the kids and make the commute fun.

Have you considered westchester county?

Old 04-25-2014, 08:25 PM

483 posts, read 670,262 times
I, too, dislike hoi polloi in close proximity to myself. That is why Jeeves drives me. You should really look into a personal driver. Once you have one, you will never go back to rubbing elbows with the proletariat.

Old 04-26-2014, 06:23 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
To test the LIRR commute I took the trains a few time to Great Neck. From my experiences, the trains who stop first at Great Neck are not that crowded. But when it came from Penn Station to Great Neck. Holy hell. I think I might be driving. Crowded as **** on there, lots of douchebag types there too. Goddamn. Plus they do ticket checks too. Is there any other commute option
They checked your ticket?? OMG how awful

I don't think LI is the place for you. Try Beverly Hills.

Old 04-26-2014, 07:48 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,737 times
Quote:
Jesus Christ how stuck up can you really be? You choose to live in a wealthy area such as Great Neck and then complain when you're checked for the ticket on the railroad that you're obligated to have? What, are you too GOOD to have to show your ticket? If you merely forgot it, wouldn't having to pony up a few bucks not even affect you in any way since you're obviously well-to-do?

You suck at life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island