Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 06:52 PM

480 posts, read 668,946 times

Advertisements

What are areas that are OK safety wise in Suffolk and Nassau that are in this budget? School ratings don't matter at this point as we are seven years from having a child. Not interested in Amityville, Freeport, Hempstead or Great Neck. Places I saw listed in price range is Oyster Bay, Yaphank, Holbrook, Hicksville.... Any others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2014, 07:07 PM

483 posts, read 670,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
What are areas that are OK safety wise in Suffolk and Nassau that are in this budget? School ratings don't matter at this point as we are seven years from having a child. Not interested in Amityville, Freeport, Hempstead or Great Neck. Places I saw listed in price range is Oyster Bay, Yaphank, Holbrook, Hicksville.... Any others?
HA! Funny.

Huntington Station East of 110 and south enough to be in district 13 had a few a couple years ago.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:39 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I thought you had your heart set on a specific condo that you wanted to buy in 2 years.

Old 04-10-2014, 08:15 PM

480 posts, read 668,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I thought you had your heart set on a specific condo that you wanted to buy in 2 years.
I'm open to homes now especially now with maintenance fees being so high.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:16 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
I'm open to homes now especially now with maintenance fees being so high.
There's still maintenance with a house, and property taxes are going to be much higher in a house.

Also, even though you're "seven" years out from having a child, school district does play a role in re-sale.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:12 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Where is Oyster Bay did u see that price range? That doesnt seem correct.

i think maybe North Bellmore, Hicksville & East Rockaway.

This increases if you're open to co-op or condo.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:30 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Where is Oyster Bay did u see that price range? That doesnt seem correct.

i think maybe North Bellmore, Hicksville & East Rockaway.

This increases if you're open to co-op or condo.

Couple of little shoebox colonial fixer-uppers in MLS for OB.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:48 AM

145 posts, read 227,050 times
Gonna be hard, but you're most likely going to have to buy a short sale with your budget. A lot of the short sale homes are dilapidated (my husband and I had a lower budget 5 years ago when we looked, and most were short sales), but some are pretty good condition. But be prepared for the process to take a long time since it's through the bank (at least a few months). Look into Levittown or Hicksville, but Levittown's taxes will be higher.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:12 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
Quote:
You need to just rent and then save. You're going to find nothing in a decent area in that range - and even if you do, you'll still be paying at least 7500 in taxes. The fact that you're saying schools don't matter show how unfamiliar you are about buying real estate on Long Island...regardless of you having children.

Rent.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:17 PM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
Don't bother with the short sales because most banks rather foreclose now. Just keep on checking the foreclosure listings directly from Fannie and Freddie. Simple search online, you do once a week until something shows up. House will need work, but if you stay persistent, you'll find something. The ones in decent neighborhoods that needs fixing up are gone in a week.

homepath.com (Fannie)
homesteps.com (Freddie)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island