Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 11:04 AM

884 posts, read 1,405,939 times

Advertisements

If you have a mirror, and their window faces you, use it to redirect the light back at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 11:21 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by useasdirected View Post
If you have a mirror, and their window faces you, use it to redirect the light back at them.
This is a good idea. Get a framed mirror, the largest you can get that fits in the window the light is coming into and at night stand it up in the window facing them.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:25 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
The neighbor also has a right to practice good security measure by illuminating his or her property.
Illuminating her property isn't the problem - its illuminating the OP's that is the problem.
Directing lights to shine in a particular patch is no problem at all - unless you're an ignoramus or an ahole. That's the main problem here, since the AOP has already alerted the neighbor to the problem she can't be ignorant about it any more. Leaves one conclusion.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:38 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,962,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Illuminating herLeaves one conclusion.
Yep, BB gun.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:27 AM

690 posts, read 584,982 times
Update - I asked her again last night to turn the light off, my second request in 5 months. She claims its not pointing directly at my bedroom. I said its pointing in the direction of the bedroom and it is a very bright light in the direct path of window. I explained to her that if my husband and I were doing something to disrupt her or her elderly husband and she asked me stop I would, no questions asked.

To me its about basic respect for other people. We live in LI not the Bronx, there is no need to have your backyard lit up all night. If you are that concerned then install a motion detector. She also suggested I install blackout shades. To the above posters point, that is like me having loud parties and asking her to put headphones in.

I did consult with the town and it is against code. They said they would gladly send someone out. I told neighbor this as well, and then followed it up with I am not trying to start a war, please just turn the light off. Allegedly her handyman is coming on Saturday and he will look into it. If it is not off by Saturday night BB gun it is.

To me, it boils down to a lack of respect for other people.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:29 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Why not suggest it be re directed not SHUT OFF. or perhaps a directional shade to block it from your window,

Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 AM

No other neighbor on the entire street feels the need to illuminate their backyard all night, she should be a CONSIDERATE neighbor and put a motion detector in, problem solved. I can see something so petty is probably going to turn into a war.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
No other neighbor on the entire street feels the need to illuminate their backyard all night, she should be a CONSIDERATE neighbor and put a motion detector in, problem solved. I can see something so petty is probably going to turn into a war.

You are seemingly unwilling to COMPROMISE so you want it your way and they want it their way. If you feel it so petty why are you continuing it? If she aims it away from the window or shades the part from your window line, you are not going to be happy. You have now determined that the solution that works for YOU is to have her install a motion detector. So you can dictate the way she lights her house. Put the shoe on the other foot, how would you feel if she was dictating to you, to install a motion detector.

Unless she is in violation of the codes, I suggest you learn compromise.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM

As I said above, if I was doing something that really bothered them that much I would stop. Its a matter of respect, not compromise. I will keep her actions in mind when she comes to me with something. I don't see lighting your yard all night long as a necessity, and its not lighting her house, its lighting others property and houses as well.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scampy25 View Post
As I said above, if I was doing something that really bothered them that much I would stop. Its a matter of respect, not compromise. I will keep her actions in mind when she comes to me with something. I don't see lighting your yard all night long as a necessity, and its not lighting her house, its lighting others property and houses as well.
You, my friend, have lots to learn about life. You get more with sugar than with salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island