Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:56 AM

3,432 posts, read 5,648,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Why should OP's neighbor have to sacrifice home security because of a whiny, overly-sensitive neighbor?
At a light pointed at 2nd floor window???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 11:31 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Actually, you're being ridiculous for not considering the fact that whoever installed this 1) did so in the light of day; 2) did not check the angle of the bulb; 3) really couldn't give a rat's patootie as long as he was paid.

parshield.com: using par bulbs wisely

The whole army isn't out of step.

Common sense is being a good neighbor and having consideration for one's actions. I believe that the 'light lady' doesn't mean to flood her neighbor's window with light pollution, but feel that she isn't accepting responsibility for the issue she has caused.
Not really. You've been around here long enough to know that people will whine and complain about ANYTHING. Is it really that unrealistic to think that the OP is exaggerating and is simply upset by the ambient light? I drew you a picture. I'm very talented in MS Paint.

What OP is claiming:

What is likely occurring:

Old 04-23-2014, 11:56 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,575,645 times
^
Again, you're assuming the house upon which the light is mounted is 1 level. You're also assuming that the light is under the soffit. It is very possible that the light could be on a gable end (higher than the soffit) or under the soffit on a second floor. Instead of scribbling an unrealistic picture and ignoring that one very real manufacturer has indicated that lights shouldn't be aimed outward, here's another take on this light issue:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/56hyc-...ward-home.html

Quote:
My neighbor has a floodlight pointed directly toward my home
Resolved Question:
My neighbor has a floodlight pointed directly toward my home and property which is kept on all night, every night. It illuminates my property from the rear including my screened-in back porch, my garage, my back and side yards and most of the rear of my house including shining into two bedrooms and one bathroom. I spoke with the local police chief, who then asked my neighbor to correct the situation. My neighbor told the police that he has already pointed the light down and that he will make no more effort to see that the light does not shine onto my property. Turning the light down did absolutely nothing to change the situation because due to the nature of floodlights, the only thing that they don't shine on is what is behind them. The police chief told me that there is nothing he can do about it because the neighbor is breaking no laws. Must I sue my neighbor for "invasion of privacy" or something similar in order attempt to protect my privacy?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Legal
Expert: XXXXX replied
Dear XXXXXXXX- You can file a suit for nuisance and claim the loss of the "quiet enjoyment of your property". Many times, once a suit is filed the person will make the necessary changes rather than go to court. You can sue for a large amount of money, like the value of your property, and in the alternative for a restraining order to order him to stop shining the light onto your property, but don't expect to actually collect the cash.
What you need to do is get your neighbor to take down the light and sometimes that requires a action like a lawsuit. The police will do nothing since this is not a crime but, rather, a civil act of nuisance.
You will need to file your action in the common pleas court in your county since that is the only court that has jurisdiction over injunctive relief.
XXXXXXX, Lawyer (JD)
Category: Legal
Satisfied Customers: 27686
Experience: 25 years experience in general law, including real estate, criminal, traffic, and domestic relations

Expert: XXXXXX
I would simply tell him that you want to get an injunction to order the neighbor to take down or alter the direction of the light away from your property. That is the result you want. Suing for money damages is simply another tactic to cause the defendant to act so your attorney may want to add that claim as well. You are wise to have an attorney for this type of action since it can become a bit more complicated than just going to small claims court. The attorney may be able to simply write a letter threatening legal action which may solve the problem.

Old 04-23-2014, 11:58 AM

1,481 posts, read 2,212,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
^
Again, you're assuming the house upon which the light is mounted is 1 level. You're also assuming that the light is under the soffit. It is very possible that the light could be on a gable end (higher than the soffit) or under the soffit on a second floor. Instead of scribbling an unrealistic picture and ignoring that one very real manufacturer has indicated that lights shouldn't be aimed outward, here's another take on this light issue:

http://www.justanswer.com/law/56hyc-...ward-home.html
OK, you're right, I'm wrong, you win.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:11 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,659,677 times
Quote:
Not really. You've been around here long enough to know that people will whine and complain about ANYTHING. Is it really that unrealistic to think that the OP is exaggerating and is simply upset by the ambient light? I drew you a picture. I'm very talented in MS Paint.

What OP is claiming:

Lol, I can't say I agree with you, but this MS Paint pictorial have me a great laugh. Thank you.

Old 04-23-2014, 03:33 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,801,358 times
- if this were really a safety issue, why would the neighbor turn off their light at 1am???

- OP mentions backyard light so I can only assume this is a backyard neighbor, which I also assume to have a fence in between.

- a 2nd floor flood light is less likely. A 1st floor flood's ambient light reaching across the way to the 2nd floor through traditional curtains is a pretty ridiculous feat (unless actually pointed upward).

Now apply the scope of your flood light in the drawing based on those 2 factors.

OP should just snap a pic from his bedroom window to put this to rest.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-23-2014 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,193,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
- if this were really a safety issue, why would the neighbor turn off their light at 1am???

- OP mentions backyard light so I can only assume this is a backyard neighbor, which I also assume to have a fence in between.

- a 2nd floor flood light is less likely. A 1st floor flood's ambient light reaching across the way to the 2nd floor through traditional curtains is a pretty ridiculous feat (unless actually pointed upward).

Now apply the scope of your flood light in the drawing based on those 2 factors.

OP should just snap a pic from his bedroom window to put this to rest.
Yes, now everyone's curious ... OP can you take a pic showing the offending light?

Old 04-23-2014, 04:08 PM

20,838 posts, read 28,164,890 times
Quote:

What OP is claiming:

I love your drawings, made my day thank you!

Old 04-24-2014, 08:30 AM

686 posts, read 576,233 times
I will take a picture and post. My bedroom is on first floor and their floodlight is mounted to the top of their garage, it is a side neighbor - the back of their property runs along the side of mine.

On a positive note - my neighbor kindly shut the light OFF this weekend, I thanked her the following day with a bottle of wine and homemade struffoli. If and when the time comes that something we do is causing an issue for her, I will be as gracious as she was and make the effort to appease her. It's about respect for one another, not about being whiny or complaining over nonsense.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:37 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,801,358 times
^ Seeing that your bedroom is also on the 1st floor, separated by maybe 10ft, it's a tough situation. I think even with it aimed downward more you'll still see a lot of light. But it's the neighborly thing to do to put a motion sensor (as low as $13) on it instead of leaving it on (and only till 1am at that). Would serve her purpose better anyway and save her money in the long run.

Along the same lines, I don't know why some people only have their porch light on until they go to bed. That kind of defeats the purpose and signals the bad guys doesn't it?
http://www.lowes.com/pd_50221-337-PF...ght&facetInfo= - low wattage and you never have to flip it on or off.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-24-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island