Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 04:16 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
get a dog. problem solved.
Thats a great idea but, they don't want one unfortunately. Bottom line is fixing the cats is a very big job and still doesn't take care of the problem in the short term. What these people are doing is not illegal apparently. With that amount of cats and kittens running around and defecating everywhere, something drastic needs to be done. It turns out the house they bought was sold because of this cat problem and since they moved in they befriended their neighbor and they admitted to contemplating giving them a heads up when they were in contract. Long story short, what are some ideas I can give these poor people. Whats the deal with trapping them? Could you then drop them off somewhere one by one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 05:39 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
ASPCA
Board of Health

Old 04-15-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
ASPCA
Board of Health
They have tried. Raccoons, rats, squirrels ect. would be taken care of but cats dont apply. The only law is the food cant be left outdoors for other vermin to eat.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:31 AM

5,046 posts, read 3,951,250 times
My friend had the same issue. He trapped 30 of them one by one and each
morning took the captured cat somewhere. Not sure if he was dumping them in the woods or turning them in somewhere. Romor had it the trap sometimes was on the loony cat lover neighbor's property. The cat nuts were not pleased when they found out. One funny story was when he found an irate raccoon one morning in his trap!

Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 AM

145 posts, read 227,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Thats a great idea but, they don't want one unfortunately. Bottom line is fixing the cats is a very big job and still doesn't take care of the problem in the short term. What these people are doing is not illegal apparently. With that amount of cats and kittens running around and defecating everywhere, something drastic needs to be done. It turns out the house they bought was sold because of this cat problem and since they moved in they befriended their neighbor and they admitted to contemplating giving them a heads up when they were in contract. Long story short, what are some ideas I can give these poor people. Whats the deal with trapping them? Could you then drop them off somewhere one by one?

I know of a person who will trap them (humanely) and will take them to the town of hempstead shelter to be spayed/neutered, and returned if you want that. She charges, but I don't think it's very much. If you're interested, send me a PM.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:09 AM

45 posts, read 92,143 times
the thought of this is making me gag

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,986,772 times
Guardians of Rescue

They are in Smithtown

888-287-3864

If they can't help, they'll know who can.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:36 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
My friend had the same issue. He trapped 30 of them one by one and each
morning took the captured cat somewhere. Not sure if he was dumping them in the woods or turning them in somewhere. Romor had it the trap sometimes was on the loony cat lover neighbor's property. The cat nuts were not pleased when they found out. One funny story was when he found an irate raccoon one morning in his trap!
That is the way to go . Have your friend get a couple of traps and trap them one at a time and release them in the woods several miles away from their home. Screw what the neighbors think. There are too many wacky people living on LI and because of one obsessive cat hoarder the neighborhood does not need to suffer.

A friend of mine did the same thing. The woman was upset that the cats were not coming home and she started asking around. My friend laughed after she spoke to him.

But in all honesty, your friend did not notice the cat epidemic when they moved into the house? Usually the homes of cat hoarders are dumps. I know I would have noticed this.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:59 AM

I just spoke with the homeowner (victim) to discuss some of the suggestions from this thread. I overstated the amount of cats. There is approximately 8-10. Some are kittens. He doesn't want to be mean to a crazy old cat lady but, it has come time to do something. He has 3 kids and the youngest (15mnths) came up to his mom covered in feces this weekend. Its no longer about controlling the population but, eliminating them from his property.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
That is the way to go . Have your friend get a couple of traps and trap them one at a time and release them in the woods several miles away from their home. Screw what the neighbors think. There are too many wacky people living on LI and because of one obsessive cat hoarder the neighborhood does not need to suffer.

A friend of mine did the same thing. The woman was upset that the cats were not coming home and she started asking around. My friend laughed after she spoke to him.

But in all honesty, your friend did not notice the cat epidemic when they moved into the house? Usually the homes of cat hoarders are dumps. I know I would have noticed this.
The yard is covered in tall shrubs and the house is not in bad shape. I can't believe the neighbor had the nerve to tell them the problem was that bad for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: