Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2014, 11:17 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But I thought people spending was actually helping the economy. If everybody save every dime and only spend on the bare necessities then wouldn't the economy take a hit somewhere along the way. I'm sure all the millions of smart phone users translate into jobs for many people.
Good point, but it won't fly in the Vortex. Omniscient Vortex has an answer for everything ...

Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
In the vortex saving money at a 1% interest rate is good for economy. Spending it is not. Outside the Vortex the opposite is true.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
If you want to be nuanced about it (gasp! not nuance!), spending beyond what you can afford to pay (i.e. racking up credit card bills that you can't repay and then defaulting/declaring bankruptcy/etc.) is pretty bad for the economy in the longer term, because you're basically getting stuff for free or near free, and then defaulting on your repayment obligation.

In contrast, spending money that you actually have is good for the economy, because increased demand for goods/services = increased need for people to make/provide those goods/services = more jobs, and also increased sales tax revenue.

Or is nuance not permitted in the vortex?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:08 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I am starting a new business selling t-shirts on the front it will say "I survived the Vortex" and on the back "Who the Hell Cares"

Any one care to order in advance?

Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM

791 posts, read 1,622,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am starting a new business selling t-shirts on the front it will say "I survived the Vortex" and on the back "Who the Hell Cares"

Any one care to order in advance?
I'd never waste money on such a thing. Why spend money on a t-shirt when I could use that money to support my family values?

Besides, I work in NYC, everyone knows they don't let uggos wearing t-shirts into Manhattan.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,047,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
$60 bucks less a month, big deal. We have $, we arent struggling. I am sure my lack of $60 is not the reason the economy is a mess.
But you could take a job on Long Island and have more free time, and save money by not having a smart phone.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
You don't get to throw your mantra about family in on every answer, you asked " what did you cut out of your life to save money in order to afford the extra cost?" and that's what I answered! It's not my fault that I have disposable income to apply to whatever I choose...
What I mean is, by relocating, you chose to give up proximity to your family in order to have more money, some of which you choose to spend on a smart phone. I was saying that I consider proximity to family far more important than a smart phone. So I would never relocate in order to afford a smart phone.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Well, the only thing that this thread is proving is that the lines of demarcation for the categories of "necessity", "convenience", "fun/gadget" and "waste of money" are different for everybody. :-)

Would I have a smartphone if money wasn't any sort of problem? Possibly, although I'd be aware that for me it would fall into the category of "fun/gadget"... because there's nothing in my lifestyle that would justify it as any of the 'higher' categories. But given my financial situation it is classified as "waste of money".

Assuming that the average cost of a data plan is around $350/yr, depending on the carrier etc, I took a look at my budget to see what $350 represents. It would be any one of these:

about 20 gas tank fill-ups
50% of a heating oil tank fill-up at this winter's prices
7 weeks worth of groceries
almost an entire year's premium for flood insurance
1 year's worth of water bills
2/3 of a yearly premium for my car insurance
the entire cost of the annual termite contract
10 weeks worth of lawn cutting (because I'm no longer able to do it myself and $35/week is the cheapest I can get it done for), i.e. half the season

It's all about priorities, it doesn't mean that anyone is Right or Wrong or Stupid if theirs are different. Just MHO.
Exactly!! That is the point that I am trying to make!!! I consider proximity to extended family, and the ability to have dinner with my immediate family almost every night to be very high priorities, which I would not give up unless I have absolutely no other choice. Having a smart phone is not a priority. It is something I choose to give up in order to afford to live on Long Island (to have proximity to extended family) and to work on Long Island (so I can have dinner with my wife and future children every night). Again, it is because, to me personally, it is very hard to go without things that I've always had (proximity to extended family, dinner with immediate family every night), but very easy to go without things I've never had (a smart phone). I don't understand why others here don't understand that.

Old 04-19-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Regardless of what the item, there are always people that will not want, need, desire, etc. it. It is not a question of right or wrong just about preferences or priorities. Years ago many folks could not justify a color tv. Now it is commonplace. My DH is addicted to TV. He "sees" HD. Me......not so much, but I will turn the tv on for news and maybe 2 shows. Put a gun to my head, and I could skip TV entirely, but don't take my computer away from me. DH is just the opposite.

Can I afford a smart phone? Yes. Do I see it as a need? No, not yet. But, I do see myself getting one within the year as more and more I can see it will make my life easier and as I see it, that is the most important aspect to ME. But that too is subjective.
Thank you! I'm glad that somebody understands where I am coming from! I choose to prioritize proximity to extended family, and free time / dinner with immediate family as being more important than a smart phone. If somebody has different priorities, that is fine. But why do so many people on this board not understand that not everybody has the same priorities in life?

Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
But I thought people spending was actually helping the economy. If everybody save every dime and only spend on the bare necessities then wouldn't the economy take a hit somewhere along the way. I'm sure all the millions of smart phone users translate into jobs for many people.
Spending money that you do have is good. Spending money that you don't have is bad. If you don't save enough money, you'll be in trouble when a misfortune happens, such as losing your job, a serious medical problem, damage to your house, plumbing problems, etc. So, if you don't save money, you end up in the category of people who are spending money that they don't have. And, if you don't save for retirement, you're screwed when you are too old to be employable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island