Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 02:58 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,426,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Going out to dinner is more important to me than a smart phone and data plan. Whether I spend $60 on a data plan or $60 on a dinner out has the same impact on the economy. So I don't understand why you and other posters here have such a problem with my decisions.
Didn't you realize that on this forum you would get the responses you didn't want?? Happens in every thread, someone poses a question, gets answers he/she doesn't like and wants to know why.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:04 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't know what your income is. Have you ever posted it? I don't think we have EVER been able to get it out of you in the many discussions about "where you can afford a house on LI with a good school district" you have had on here.
I did post an approximate income in another thread a while ago.

Quote:
Your answer to the thread "Appropriate 401k balance" on the LI forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...k-balance.html

If someone considers themselves "low income for LI" that level of savings is indicative of being a miser.
I do not consider my conditions to be wretched, as you say. I have very little interest in material goods. I'm not sure why the people on this forum don't understand that. Even if you are the materialistic type, I don't understand why people don't understand that not everyone is the same.

Quote:
If someone wants to "live for retirement" and save everything for that time in their life, they shouldn't be complaining about what they don't have ("cannot afford") in the meantime. Just count the days until retirement and think about how you are going to live it up then!
Even if you are willing to work until you are dead, you likely won't have that opportunity, since either you'll have a medical problem that keeps you from working full time, or you'll be old and nobody will want to hire you. So you need to save for retirement.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:05 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,048,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Why worry, the family members you so often speak of will take care of you in your golden years..
They will be dead by then.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:23 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
I did post an approximate income in another thread a while ago.
I missed that.

Quote:
I do not consider my conditions to be wretched, as you say. I have very little interest in material goods. I'm not sure why the people on this forum don't understand that. Even if you are the materialistic type, I don't understand why people don't understand that not everyone is the same.
You are the one who constantly criticizes everyone else's choices and seeks to put your viewpoint as the only correct one. In starting this thread, for example and acting like data plans are some excessive, unnecessary expense that people should not want or need.

Quote:
Even if you are willing to work until you are dead, you likely won't have that opportunity, since either you'll have a medical problem that keeps you from working full time, or you'll be old and nobody will want to hire you. So you need to save for retirement.
Don't put a Vortex spin on it! I never said people don't need to save for retirement. But when someone saves excessively to the detriment of their CURRENT life, they should not complain if they don't have a "house in a decent school district that is an easy commute to NYC," etc., because it is not Long Island's "fault" they don't have that. It's because they choose to hoard money instead.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:43 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Default Watch the Vortex eat its tail!

Quote:
In another thread a while ago, someone claimed that a smart phone and data plan are a necessity. I do not agree that it is a necessity. I use a basic phone with no data plan (just voice, text, and picture messages). The monthly charges for the data plan are more than I am willing to spend. The carrier that I use has the best voice coverage in my area, and I don't want to give that up.

I realize that I am in the minority, but I consider it to be a luxury that I do not need. I do not consider it to be a necessity. I find it very easy to go without things that I have never had (such as a smart phone and data plan). But I find it very difficult to go without things that I have always had.
Answer the Vortex with a quote from the Vortex:

Quote:
I don't understand why people don't understand that not everyone is the same.
Then what was the point of starting this thread in the first place? If you want people to accept your "differences," then you should accept other people's differences as well and not start divisive threads criticizing other people's choices.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:51 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I missed that.
//www.city-data.com/forum/30828934-post172.html

OP makes about $90k/yr according to his past posts.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:22 PM

106,669 posts, read 108,833,673 times
we just cancelled our landline yesterday and found it much more sensible to get a smart phone instead.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
They will be dead by then.
Well if you have the kids you often speak of, which leads to the holy grail that you always speak of buying a house in the best school district, while keeping your job on LI, while your wife continues to look for employment, and you fore go such luxuries as a smart phone, all this while maintaining a shining example of family values for all to emulate.....

Those children will provide for you in your golden years! Or they will say the hell with what left of LI take their quality education and move where they can afford to live??? I guess no in-law suite for you, maybe you better save up...

Old 04-21-2014, 06:56 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
My point is that you could accept the pay cut and save money by getting rid of your smart phone / data plan. But you prefer not to do that. Which is fine, but you shouldn't try to force that lifestyle on me.

It might work for you, but it would be an unacceptable quality of life for me. But I don't care about a smart phone / data plan, so I work on LI and don't get a smart phone and data plan. What is so hard to understand about that?
I'm already underpaid. Taking a pay cut is stupid.

Again $60 isnt breaking my bank. We travel, buy homes, go out to dinner... I dont need to cut back on anything.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 PM

239 posts, read 413,839 times
But continue to remind us.

This is continually boring.

Logical and prudent is one thing, cheap is was it wreaks of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island