Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:19 AM

791 posts, read 1,618,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I used to have Virgin Mobile. That was only $35/month, unlimited everything. I started having problems with their signal so foolishly I went to Verizon. They are sooooo expensive and I don't even have unlimited data. I am thinking about switching to straight talk. It's only $45 for unlimited everything vs $100 dollars and I am only getting 2gb of data. I need a data phone so I can go online and make the time pass by at work. LOL. I only use it when I am at work. When I am at home, I use my desktop or nook.
I had Straight Talk for about a year, and the reception was fantastic - I had to switch because I added an elderly family member to the plan so she could have a cell phone, and she needed better customer service support than Straight Talk provides, but if I was still only dealing with my own phone, I'd be on Straight Talk for sure.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:11 AM

6,926 posts, read 7,009,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored chick View Post
I used to have Virgin Mobile. That was only $35/month, unlimited everything. I started having problems with their signal so foolishly I went to Verizon. They are sooooo expensive and I don't even have unlimited data. I am thinking about switching to straight talk. It's only $45 for unlimited everything vs $100 dollars and I am only getting 2gb of data. I need a data phone so I can go online and make the time pass by at work. LOL. I only use it when I am at work. When I am at home, I use my desktop or nook.
I thought StraightTalk only worked with their own special browser?

Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
I agree $30 for 2gb sounds ridiculous, but let me ask - what do you pay for entertainment at home today? Triple play, extra channels, netflix, amazon prime, hulu, console or pc games, etc.
I had Optimum Triple Play for 3 years before they wouldn't let me renew it. I now have to pay the full price for Optimum TV, internet, and phone. But no extra channels. I don't have Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu. I have a few games on the Nintendo Wii (which I received as a birthday present), but that has no monthly charge.

Quote:
What about extracurriculars like league sports? I pay about $30 for my hobby 1 night per week. That's already more than my data plan. If you're trying to save in every area, the conversation would end there.
Don't have any extracurriculars like league sports. And, my gym membership is paid 100% by my health insurance (as long as I go 50 times in 6 months). So I'm not even paying anything for the gym.

Basically, the only non-essentials I am paying for are Optimum TV (again, basic service, no extra channels), internet, and phone, and my cell phone plan for my basic phone (voice, text, and picture messages, no data plan). Except for the TV, those all border on being essential.

Quote:
I hardly use 4G (allotted data), but I see it as a convenience fee to have the smartphone (requires data plans of course). If you're like me, you can get in as low as $30/mo. and never need more than even 1GB. That's the reality. I think a lot of it for people is unwillingness to change. Principle or whatever else. Look at how many people didn't want to be "tied to a cellphone" back in the late 90s and early 00s compared to who has them today.
Again, even $30/month beyond what I am already paying is too much.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:21 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,321,586 times
Smartphones....
Expensive ? Yes.
Essential ? Yes.

My Note 3 has increased my productivity, but then life is very busy.
If I had a laid back existence, I can probably do without them.

And I do not waste my free time browsing on the phone !!
As far as replacing other things, I guess a watch, GPS, general purpose camera, most laptop functions, most of anything that involved writing on paper, and yeah quite a few brain cells too.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Smartphones....
Expensive ? Yes.
Essential ? Yes.

My Note 3 has increased my productivity, but then life is very busy.
If I had a laid back existence, I can probably do without them.

And I do not waste my free time browsing on the phone !!
As far as replacing other things, I guess a watch, GPS, general purpose camera, most laptop functions, most of anything that involved writing on paper, and yeah quite a few brain cells too.
Smart phones are not essential, given that I and several other posters are able to get by without them.

Old 04-17-2014, 10:58 AM

413 posts, read 597,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
Smart phones are not essential, given that I and several other posters are able to get by without them.

This is EXACTLY why people attack you. He answers very cogently explaining why FOR HIM it's essential and you come back to argue with him. It's another FALSE premise that it is essential or not. It is essential or necessary based on each person's needs, desires or circumstances. It just makes you feel better to have some other "opinions" to help you rationalize or justify your own "sacrifice." No one who has one and appreciates theirs cares what you think. Get one or don't. Maybe toilet paper is too much of a luxury for you. Post about it. I'm sure you'll get a few leaf wipers to sign off on your foolish premise. JDawg will probably say using toilet paper is why no one can afford a house. If they just used old newspaper they'd save enough to be able to afford Long Island. And on the vortex spins. Wheeeeeee.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
This is EXACTLY why people attack you. He answers very cogently explaining why FOR HIM it's essential and you come back to argue with him. It's another FALSE premise that it is essential or not. It is essential or necessary based on each person's needs, desires or circumstances. It just makes you feel better to have some other "opinions" to help you rationalize your own "sacrifice." No one who has one and appreciates theirs cares what you think. Get one or don't. Maybe toilet paper is too much of a luxury for you. Post about it. I'm sure you'll get a few leaf wipers to sign off on your foolish premise.
His post was implying that it's essential for everyone.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:02 AM

413 posts, read 597,401 times
Quote:
His post was implying that it's essential for everyone.
Your whole thread implies it ISN'T essential for anyone.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Your whole thread implies it ISN'T essential for anyone.
I guess we read it differently.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,942,558 times
Quote:
Depends...on business, lifestyle,etc.. here's a few things it helps me with on a given day!

1.) Phone numbers, addresses,meetings,appointments and everything else synced between everything.
2.) Camera,hd video, shoot in 4k with instant sharing.
3.) PDF and document reader.
4.) Full website viewer
5.) Maps,gps, real time traffic reports, with directions and satellite and street view, plus restaurants reviews, cheap gas,etc
6.) Fully functional calendar that syncs to all my accounts
7.) Notes that sync between phone and computer and web (Evernote)
8.) Entertainment for kids(movies,games,videos,Karaoke Party) 24/7 access
9.) Language learner (currently working spanish Duolingo)
10.) Remote control for iTunes when I'm at home so I don't have to go into the other room to change song or volume.
11.) My music, Bluetooth for car and wireless speakers
12.) Movie times and previews and purchase tickets( no lines)
13.) Song identification (Soundhound)
14.) File sharing between devices (Dropbox)
15.) Remote control for all my fios and T.V.'s and car!
16.) Banking,depositing checks,stocks,etc in real time from anywhere
17.) live real time video feeds of business and employees and real time cash flow.
18.) Real time video of my indoor and outdoor security system, control lights and doors
19.) Facetime,skype, go to meetings from anywhere
20.) Alarm clock
21.) Takes credit card payments
22.) scanner, fax
23.) live T.V. and sports!
24.) heart rate monitor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island