Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 07:50 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

I see them all the time. Didn't think it was a big deal.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,728,677 times
I've never seen black squirrels on LI but I have seen them all over the place in Stuyvesant Town in Manhattan. They were something else! They would come right up to you and beg for food. The tenants would buy peanuts for them.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:13 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
I have one near me for the past 2 years. Here's the deal with squirrels. The black squirrels are a subgroup of the eastern grey squirrel. They are also not local to LI. They started out in the north, Canada, midwest and have migrated down here. For a variety of reasons, the grey squirrels have been more successful than black ones and their populations are being diminished by the greys. The same thing happened in Ireland. Ireland only had red squirrels but through people transport, greys were brought over and they are wiping out the red squirrel population. Tree quirrels are very territorial. They tend to stay in the same small vicinity for most of their lives. The black squirrel is currently a subject in several studies. Actually, many varieties of both tree and ground squirrels are currently under study because they are providing clues to climate changes.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:15 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I've never seen black squirrels on LI but I have seen them all over the place in Stuyvesant Town in Manhattan. They were something else! They would come right up to you and beg for food. The tenants would buy peanuts for them.
And that particular colony is rather famous! They call them sqrats.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I have one near me for the past 2 years. Here's the deal with squirrels. The black squirrels are a subgroup of the eastern grey squirrel. They are also not local to LI. They started out in the north, Canada, midwest and have migrated down here. For a variety of reasons, the grey squirrels have been more successful than black ones and their populations are being diminished by the greys. The same thing happened in Ireland. Ireland only had red squirrels but through people transport, greys were brought over and they are wiping out the red squirrel population. Tree quirrels are very territorial. They tend to stay in the same small vicinity for most of their lives. The black squirrel is currently a subject in several studies. Actually, many varieties of both tree and ground squirrels are currently under study because they are providing clues to climate changes.
That's very interesting. My encounters with red squirrels have been limited to the little meanies screaming at me and tossing things.

at about 21 seconds the scream:
Red Squirrel's Rattlesnake Scream - YouTube

Old 04-21-2014, 07:36 AM

513 posts, read 837,597 times
The first ones I ever saw was about twenty five years ago on, I think, the Blue Course at Bethpage State Park. Could have been the Red Course, though. Saw them for a few years as I always looked for them, unless my tee shot was sliced Two years ago, I saw one in Lattingtown, just off Lattingtown Road. I always like seeing them.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:04 PM

884 posts, read 1,405,939 times
Black squirrels used to be very plentiful on Long Island. However the aggressiveness of the grey squirrel has driven their numbers down to almost non-existent.

Old 07-17-2014, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,235 times
Default Black squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
Years ago there was a colony in Center Moriches by the playground at the elementary school. Then they paved it over. I had a few in NEPA when I lived there but haven't seen any in Wading River, although there are a zillion grey ones! I also had the little red squirrels in Pa. They were cute!
We have a black squirrel where I live in Wading River. Seen him last year and he has been around more often this year. They have a beautiful shiny black coat.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:28 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,225,137 times
They originated in Canada and have been making their way down here.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:22 AM

216 posts, read 446,011 times
Default Just Saw One

I know this is an old post but I saw a beautiful black squirrel in my yard over weekend. We are in Lindenhurst. When I lived in Merrick Woods years ago there were many, love their beautiful shiny coats.

Does anyone have them in their neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island