Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2014, 10:14 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

I think I am getting a ticket for passing a red light because I saw the strobe light flash when the yellow light turned fast into red as I entered the intersection. I went back and parked and watched the light change. I timed the yellow on my stopwatch and it lasted only 3.8 seconds. The speed limit is 40 on this road. Is it reasonable to expect cars to go from 40 to zero in 3.8 seconds in normal driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 02:19 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I had that happen to me and didn't get a ticket. They do review the tapes.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:41 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,961,031 times
4 seconds is plenty of time to come to a stop from 40mph without even hard braking.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:27 PM

516 posts, read 1,075,204 times
I would not worry about it till the ticket comes. In Suffolk county the dam strobes flash almost every car that enters the intersection on Yellow or rolls up to a red in the turning lane expecting them to make a right without stoping first.

The Strobes are very distracting, I know it I stood at an intersection flashing a Strobe at cars for no reason I would be arrested, how is the countys Strobe permited to flash for no reason??

As for the Yellow timing, it's faster in the Camera intersections for sure.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
If you are across the white line and the light is yellow then you are safe. If its red when you cross then you get a ticket.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:10 AM

61 posts, read 104,526 times
As long as you were already in the intersection past the white line on the road at the first light when it turned red you're fine. The lights just go off any time anything remains in the intersection, i.e. if someone is waiting to make a left turn in the middle and the light turns red.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:00 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
As long as you were already in the intersection past the white line on the road at the first light when it turned red you're fine. The lights just go off any time anything remains in the intersection, i.e. if someone is waiting to make a left turn in the middle and the light turns red.
A small caveat... make sure thats the rear of your car and not the front.
I can prove it

Old 05-05-2014, 09:52 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viventi View Post
I got the ticket and the picture appears to show my front tires ON the stop line, not before the line. The picture is not entirely clear but that's what it looks like and that's what I remember, I saw the red just as I was going under the light. I know I didn't blow past a light that had been red a second or more. Does the whole car have to be past the red light?

Old 05-05-2014, 11:15 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
I got the ticket and the picture appears to show my front tires ON the stop line, not before the line. The picture is not entirely clear but that's what it looks like and that's what I remember, I saw the red just as I was going under the light. I know I didn't blow past a light that had been red a second or more. Does the whole car have to be past the red light?
There should be a line that designates the start of the intersection. The actual red light may be right above it (relatively uncommon) or in the middle of the intersection.
Regardless of the position of the light.... when the light turns red, your "entire" vehicle should have cleared the line that puts you inside the intersection.
If I understand it properly from your description, your front tires were on that line I was talking about, which means you are caught "red lighted" !! Sorry !!

Old 05-06-2014, 07:11 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Just received a ticket in my PO Box on a company vehicle. I went to the web site and reviewed the video which states that the timing was 3.8 seconds for the yellow light. What I saw in the video was two of my company vehicles approach the intersection, one vehicle entered the intersection after the light turned yellow and was through before it turned red. The 2nd vehicle was not very far behind, but the light turned red as #2 was about 8' from the stop line. The $80 ticket is for vehicle #2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island