Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 08:32 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times

Advertisements

I remember a bike trail in Woodbury back in the day. Is that no longer there?

As for Caumsett, we used to love biking there!! If you donate to Caumsett, you can get a "free" Empire State Pass. (If you donate 300+, you get two passes.) We plan on taking the kids there this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Caumsett was beautiful - it had a bit of everything, a nice long trail (mostly paved, lots of hills), and a lot of nature. Thanks for the reco. Since we had kids in tow we couldn't do the whole thing so there's more to explore for next time. And FYI they don't charge after 4:30p if you want to check it out.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:10 AM

88 posts, read 150,569 times
Great pics, thanks for sharing...looking forward to getting there sometime soon.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I don't ever recall paying any fee at Caumsett. Great place to bring the little guys with they two-wheelers and ride through out the beautiful countryside.

Truth be told, there are no serious bike trails left on LI. No riding that requires any skill or elicits adrenaline. I used to bike a couple of county parks in Eastern Suffolk (one was in Rocky Point, the other in Calverton) and while much nicer than the surrounding sprawl, it's just not enough. Between increasing development and heavy congestion, LI is just not bike friendly.

I know this is an old post but there is the glacier ridge trail behind brookhaven town hall. its kept up by a mountain biking club.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:42 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
I think there's a paved bike trail that goes from Woodbury to Massapequa. It's forested most of the way and is surprisingly nice for Nassau County. The portion from Bethpage State Park to Woodbury was done pretty recently. North of woodbury its more Mountain biking trails that are dirt and not paved. I think the path starts by the LIE and then south from there. It goes all the way to Merrick Road in Massapequa. Then there's the Jones Beach bike path that starts at Cedar Creek, and I think it is being extended to Tobay Beach.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:11 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I think there's a paved bike trail that goes from Woodbury to Massapequa. It's forested most of the way and is surprisingly nice for Nassau County. The portion from Bethpage State Park to Woodbury was done pretty recently. North of woodbury its more Mountain biking trails that are dirt and not paved. I think the path starts by the LIE and then south from there. It goes all the way to Merrick Road in Massapequa. Then there's the Jones Beach bike path that starts at Cedar Creek, and I think it is being extended to Tobay Beach.
the first trail you mentioned is great from Massapequa up to the Washington Ave crossing. once you cross Washington Ave you go under the LIE and take a separate path parallel to the westbound LIE service road. (don't anyone tell me LI is flat until you ride this) . Then follows Sunnyside Blvd west , where it just dies on woodbury rd. you can pick up a mtn bike trail just over the Northern parkway past the Holiday Inn on Sunnyside (it's pretty tough) ,or go out to Woodbury Rd and make a right, where the trail crosses about a mile down the road.
the area under the LIE is still kind of crappy, as is the path on Sunnyside Blvd near the end of the trail by Woodbury Road. Be careful crossing Old Country Rd and Old Bethpage Road . people speed. I always look twice.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:27 PM

194 posts, read 425,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I remember a bike trail in Woodbury back in the day. Is that no longer there?
That is Stillwell Woods Trail. It starts at the parking lot on the north side of Jericho Tpk just a few hundred yards west of Woodbury Road.

Be advised this is an advanced single track unpaved mountain biking trail for well conditioned riders.

As previously posted see the Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists website & forums for ANY and ALL information on non-road riding on ALL of Long Island.

This club & forum will be able to answer every MTB question from beginner to expert and parks & trails

http://www.climbonline.org/

Old 05-10-2014, 02:31 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianosaur View Post
That is Stillwell Woods Trail. It starts at the parking lot on the north side of Jericho Tpk just a few hundred yards west of Woodbury Road.

Be advised this is an advanced single track unpaved mountain biking trail for well conditioned riders.

As previously posted see the Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists website & forums for ANY and ALL information on non-road riding on ALL of Long Island.

This club & forum will be able to answer every MTB question from beginner to expert

CLIMB - Concerned Long Island Mountain Bicyclists
Stillwell also has a few four way crossings so be really careful there.
Bethpage State Park has trails for everyone (most originate at the Picnic Area parking lot past the Polo Grounds). The Brickyard trails will give you a good workout.
there is a seasonal charge to park at the Picnic Area - currently weekends only.

Old 05-11-2014, 10:39 AM

321 posts, read 595,872 times
If you want to ride the Bethpage State Park bike trails on the weekends and you don't want to pay for parking just park at Charles Campagne Elementary School.

The parking lot for the school is a block away from the west entrance to the bike trails. There is no fee for parking and the lot is deserted on the weekends. It is extremely convenient and easily accessible from the 135. I have been parking there since ~2001 to ride at least once a month and I've never had a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island