Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 PM

10 posts, read 16,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Can you explain why Roslyn is considered to be a better district? I'm not really familiar with the district, but I never heard it mentioned along with the likes of Jericho, Syosset or CSH.
Lists I've seen have Roslyn closer to the top, sometimes top 5. There's another list on here somewhere that is better (long time lurker researching where to move lol). Roslyn is a top top, in-demand district. Just look at the crazy house prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 10:07 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslanderNS View Post
Lists I've seen have Roslyn closer to the top, sometimes top 5. There's another list on here somewhere that is better (long time lurker researching where to move lol). Roslyn is a top top, in-demand district. Just look at the crazy house prices.
Crazy house prices? That's all of LI. As for Roslyn, I just figured people were willing to pay a premium to be that much closer to NYC, but I don't find Roslyn's prices to be too outrageous.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:17 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
If you look deeper into the list, you will see its rated dy college readiness (% of 12th graders who took and pased AP exams). That is how they came up with the list of those that were ranked.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Crazy house prices? That's all of LI. As for Roslyn, I just figured people were willing to pay a premium to be that much closer to NYC, but I don't find Roslyn's prices to be too outrageous.
Nah, Roslyn actually is a pretty long train ride. Haven't checked in a while but I think close to an hour with x-fer in Jamaica. Top schools drive prices up. Look on mls and see how little your $ gets you in Roslyn. Same for other top districts. Hey, maybe real estate prices would be the best way to rank school's reputations !!!! J/K

Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If you look deeper into the list, you will see its rated dy college readiness (% of 12th graders who took and pased AP exams). That is how they came up with the list of those that were ranked.
So college readiness=the % who took/passed APs? That's it?

Still not clear why some good schools have no rankings...

Old 04-23-2014, 10:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
So college readiness=the % who took/passed APs? That's it?

Still not clear why some good schools have no rankings...
Have you looked at GreatSchools or School Digger for your research/comparisons/test info as opposed to just rankings?

Old 04-24-2014, 04:38 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
No, a lot of the rankings seem off to me. Rockville Centre much higher than Syosset? Roslyn well below Harborfields? I dont think so. Some of the rankings are very very different than general perception.

Makes sense that maybe some schools didn't submit all data therefore no ranking...
This. If you are hung up only on stats, then have it. There's a lot more that goes into a school than just numbers. As someone noted it may simply be due to an unavailability of data. I think some schools are getting sick of these reports because if they are #10 one year and #15 the next OH MY GOD what happened?! It's got to be annoying.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
I always find it amazing that people obsess over these stupid US News rankings.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:07 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
I always find it amazing that people obsess over these stupid US News rankings.

High School rankings are ridiculous.

Honestly, I can understand ppl caring about College rankings since the level of prestige is directly related to gaining employment but high school rankings are pretty much completely irrelevant. Once you go to college and heck, even if you choose not to go to college then nobody cares about what HS you went to. HR people actually prefer that you leave it out of your resume once you complete your first level of higher-education or get a certain amount of yrs out of HS.

It's pretty much just penis-measuring for suburban soccer moms to try and justify the purchase of their overpriced home in 'XYZ unified union free school district'.

BTW: I'm NOT saying that it's not important to buy a home in a good school district. But highlighting the difference between #62 and #79 is ridiculous.

Old 04-24-2014, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Have you looked at GreatSchools or School Digger for your research/comparisons/test info as opposed to just rankings?
Of course! You have to look at everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island