U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:46 PM

10 posts, read 14,867 times

Advertisements

Usually HHH East & West are ranked almost identically- sometimes East is slightly better, sometimes West is slightly better. But this time, West is ranked #48 in the state while East is unranked. The actual numbers/scores are very similar so why was East unranked this year when last year both schools ranked almost identically?? Even more confusing is that there are schools that scored *lower* than HHH East but they still ranked (for example Locust Valley ranked 54th in the state, but most of the scores are lower than HHH East). So what's going on???

Search New York High Schools | US News
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:30 PM

2,608 posts, read 2,487,183 times
Without knowing all the details it may be that HHH E did not submit a portion of the data. There were other unranked districts. Rankings in general (minus the unranked districts) seem to reflect general perceptions.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Without knowing all the details it may be that HHH E did not submit a portion of the data. There were other unranked districts. Rankings in general (minus the unranked districts) seem to reflect general perceptions.
No, a lot of the rankings seem off to me. Rockville Centre much higher than Syosset? Roslyn well below Harborfields? I dont think so. Some of the rankings are very very different than general perception.

Makes sense that maybe some schools didn't submit all data therefore no ranking...

Old 04-23-2014, 08:07 PM

9,330 posts, read 13,655,544 times
Unless you're using these rankings for something official, does it matter considering you can see the scores are that similar?

On another note, someone should tally the schools on the top 500 / 1000 by region and see if LI really has one of the better school systems in the nation.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:10 PM

Lots of other schools with good reps not ranked. North Shore, Commack, Massapequa, Northport. Probably more.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Unless you're using these rankings for something official, does it matter considering you can see the scores are that similar.
I like to know what rankings are based on. Think how many ppl go by rankings when buying a house. If so many good schools don't get ranked b/c of who knows what reason, why even bother with rankings. There should be an explanation or it's misleading.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslanderNS View Post
No, a lot of the rankings seem off to me. Rockville Centre much higher than Syosset? Roslyn well below Harborfields? I dont think so. Some of the rankings are very very different than general perception.

Makes sense that maybe some schools didn't submit all data therefore no ranking...
The top ten seem about right (relative to each other is another matter): JER, MAN. GNS, GC, SS, CSH, WH, SYO, HER, HAR....of course there is going to be some nibbling about the edges and relative ranks....some are so closely ranked not worth quibbling about order.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
The top ten seem about right (relative to each other is another matter): JER, MAN. GNS, GC, SS, CSH, WH, SYO, HER, HAR....of course there is going to be some nibbling about the edges and relative ranks....some are so closely ranked not worth quibbling about order.
Rockville Ctr & Harborfields are good, but not top 10. Top 20, sure. But not top 10. No way, no how. Roslyn should be in the top 10- it def has a better rep than others on the list. Very wonky rankings.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:18 PM

7,787 posts, read 15,169,535 times
Quote:
Rockville Ctr & Harborfields are good, but not top 10. Top 20, sure. But not top 10. No way, no how. Roslyn should be in the top 10- it def has a better rep than others on the list. Very wonky rankings.
Can you explain why Roslyn is considered to be a better district? I'm not really familiar with the district, but I never heard it mentioned along with the likes of Jericho, Syosset or CSH.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Can you explain why Roslyn is considered to be a better district? I'm not really familiar with the district, but I never heard it mentioned along with the likes of Jericho, Syosset or CSH.
I had the same question....Roslyn does just fine so why quibble about a relative ranking here and there...depending on the criteria Roslyn and others will shift here and there...this is commonplace among the top 10 - 15 Long Island Schools. Plus high schools such as South Side have moved up in the rankings over the last five years or so and not everyone realizes this. Now if a school nosedives over a few years I would be a little concerned. Roslyn has not done that and they are still well regarded. Relax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island