U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2014, 07:39 PM

88 posts, read 129,602 times

Advertisements

Looking to finish the basement and need more space to store what will have to be temporarily moved while work is being done. Went to the PODS website, but to get a quote, you have to enter e-mail, etc. Was curious if anyone has used them, or similar lesser known companies, and what is the approximate cost. I am thinking we will need a 10-12' long container for 1 month, 2 months max. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 01:29 AM

10,288 posts, read 5,512,378 times
PODS gave good service for dropping a container in NJ, picking it up full and storing it on LI for a month, delivering to new LI home and picking it up empty a few days later. Price was tons cheaper than a moving company. If you're going to keep it on your own property look into Cassone trailer rental for a steel shipping container.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 AM

1,666 posts, read 3,530,905 times
You can use PODS without having them transport it to another location. My experience with them was good.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:55 AM

9,514 posts, read 20,636,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
You can use PODS without having them transport it to another location. My experience with them was good.
Still have a PODS sitting on my front lawn while "Sandy" house repairs come (hopefully) to a conclusion soon.
The guy who delivered it was very considerate of location, made some suggestion re access, etc. - all in all a good experience. Now if only it would cost less...

Old 04-28-2014, 10:48 AM

166 posts, read 490,795 times
Did PODS as well when I moved. Got a 16' container. Stored with them for many months. Guys who do drop off and stuff were nice. I ran at least 20 different quotes to find the best quote for what I want. The most spam I got was an automated follow up email if I needed help with quoting. I used the various coupons online to find the best deal. You can start with retailmenot.com. You should really base your decision on after-coupon prices.

Prices are: $99 per drop-off / pick-up. Containers are $189/month for the 16'. I got free drop-off and pick-up if I stored for more than 3 months.

You need to understand all the gotchas. They make their money from drop-offs and pick-ups. There is no pro-rating of monthly dues, so if you go over by 1 day, then you get hit with next month's bill. You need to schedule things ahead of time (at least 2 days.) As long as you can play by their rules, its a cheap option compared to old fashion storage facilities.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:45 AM

2,370 posts, read 3,564,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkind77 View Post
Looking to finish the basement and need more space to store what will have to be temporarily moved while work is being done. Went to the PODS website, but to get a quote, you have to enter e-mail, etc. Was curious if anyone has used them, or similar lesser known companies, and what is the approximate cost. I am thinking we will need a 10-12' long container for 1 month, 2 months max. Thanks in advance.
I just used POD. I paid $400 for everything, for 1 month. They only rent by the month. So, if you need 5 weeks, you need to book it for 2 months. I was very happy with them!

Old 04-28-2014, 12:51 PM

10,288 posts, read 5,512,378 times
Unit2go is based on LI and claims they beat PODS and PackRat in price and service. They were NOT good in trying to get the NJ to storage to LI move accomplished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island