Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:44 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,406,455 times

Advertisements

Rockville Centre does have good schools. But nevertheless the school taxes are like double or even triple the school district next door Oceanside. Nevertheless, why are the school taxes so high? Also lots of folks in Rockville Centre send their kids to Catholic schools and dont even use the public schools so shouldn't that make school taxes lower.

Also exactly what is the Rockville Centre incorporated taxes for? I mean I see they have some cops. But the rec center is open to everyone, the few little parks anyone can walk in and unlike lets say Atlantic Beach which is incorporated where you get beach rights I dont really see many perks to paying these village taxes.

Finally, the town of Hempstead taxes in RVC seem like a big rip off. I only say that cause identical sized houses in lets say Island Park or Baldwin pay sometimes 1/3 the tax yet get the same services.

I know all towns in the Town of Hempstead need to chip in. But when you base it just on property value alone not size of house or amount of people in house towns like RVC surrounded by Malverne, Baldwin, South Hempstead get clobbered as their homes are assessed at triple.

Yet somehow RVC still can charge triple for homes. Ok I get it the schools are good, really good for southshore.

But is it just me, but when I see an 80x100 house paying 30K in taxes in RVC and see same 80x100 house in Oceanside paying 10K I wonder where the heck the extra 20K in taxes are going to?

What do you folks think of the taxes in RVC?

Anyone live in RVC so you can tell me what you folks do with all huge amount of property tax money you get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:02 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,792,536 times
- top 15 school in all of LI (Baldwin and Oceanside are nowhere comparable)
- it's west, closer to Manhattan like Roslyn/Manhasset/Great Neck
- lesser commercial tax base?
- and of course teacher salaries

A good way to look at it is - why do you want to be there as opposed to its surrounding towns?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM

56 posts, read 88,615 times
You do realize that whether you send your child to Catholic School or not that you still have to pay taxes?

Old 04-29-2014, 03:22 PM

519 posts, read 594,323 times
Why are Rockville Centre Taxes so High?

They have their own police department.

The assessed values are high.

They have a decent commercial base and lots of co-op buildings. The taxes are very high, but not as high as you are stating. $30,000 is into the 1.5 million $ range. There is nothing comparable in Oceanside at those prices.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:27 PM

69 posts, read 89,088 times
The school is rated better than Oceanside, but not enormously so. They have larger commercial base than many other towns. It is more expensive because of the extra layers of village government you need to pay for in addition to the county. Add in the well compensated school employees and superintendent and high legacy costs from employees no longer providing services to the residents (though most towns have that problem). They also have their own private police force (which requires high salaries and pensions).

There is also the housing density there (apartments) which means more families, which translates into more school taxes to cover it (apartments do not provide the same taxes per family as a single family home). There are also "affordable" housing projects there which are subsidized in good measure by the increased property tax rates on single family homes (again, the rest of the residents have to cover the costs).

The bottom line in NY state, the more government you have the more you will pay. It does not necessarily translate into more services or better infrastructure (have you seen the condition of the roads there? Try driving down maple ave, it is smoother on the moon).

Some people feel it is worth it for the downtown, easy commute, and some beautiful older homes, but there are probably better choices if your budget isn't unlimited.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:40 PM

570 posts, read 1,209,813 times
One big reason is that the wealthier the district, the less state aid it receives. Look up your district's CWR, Combined Wealth Ratio, in your district's state aid reports. If it's higher than 1.0, your district receives less aide than those with less wealth. So if RVC has higher taxes, they are making up the difference theoretically.

Of course, with parents wanting the best in education for their kids there, the increase in taxes covers programs and staff for those "perks". Older staff cost more, paying admin more because of the perception of them being the best costs more, advanced coursework like IB and others adds cost, etc.

There are many factors that cause high school taxes, but no one mentions the CWR!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
- top 15 school in all of LI (Baldwin and Oceanside are nowhere comparable)
- it's west, closer to Manhattan like Roslyn/Manhasset/Great Neck
- lesser commercial tax base?
- and of course teacher salaries

A good way to look at it is - why do you want to be there as opposed to its surrounding towns?

I understand all of that. But why does it cost so much in property taxes?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekat123 View Post
You do realize that whether you send your child to Catholic School or not that you still have to pay taxes?

I do. I only brought it up as in five towns the Lawrence School district tons of Orthodox do not send their kids to public schools. Lawrence has less teachers and school buildings because of this and school taxes have fallen.

I figured since so many catholics in RVC send their kid to catholic shool unlike nearby Oceanside I would think it would help lower school taxes but it does not.

I forgot about the state funding ratio. For instance Oceanside when they recently issued a 30 million dollar bond to fix all the schools NYS matched it 50 cents on a dollar so they get 45 million for price of 30 million.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:26 PM

56,830 posts, read 25,771,452 times
The school and village budgets are extremely high, look at the salaries. Beyond the teachers and police that are extreme they have some very highly paid fire department employees, mayor and staff. They also have their own power company, cheap power but they pay in other ways. All those pensions and health care benefits add up over time, it's catching up.

Go look at those salaries, no surprise

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM

622 posts, read 847,699 times
Ok, you may as well be asking why are property taxes so high on LI....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island