Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:50 PM

26 posts, read 69,049 times

Advertisements

I'm interested in locating to the Valley Stream area, but it seems as if there are three distinct sections on the map. Valley Stream, South Valley Stream, and North Valley Stream. The demographics change significantly between Valley Stream proper and North.

What are the three areas like in terms of schools, shopping, pricing, and demographics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 03:49 PM

138 posts, read 379,326 times
I will comment on the gibson section of valley stream. Moved here about 2 yrs ago and it has been great so far. We are zoned for sd 14- hewlett woodmere and we love the school so far ( my kids are 4 and 6 and attend franklin early childhood center). One of the plusses of this school district is that the public school here has free 1/2 day pre-k program.

The area is very safe and convenient to commute to nyc for work via LIRR. Driving to other parts of ny not so much since we are not near any highways and sunrise can be a pain....

Home prices range in the mid 300Ks to 450Ks. Taxes are a bit high but that is most of LI these days...we pay $12k a year before STAR rebate.

We are a diverse community. There are quite a few interracial families and my neighbors are of all different cultures.

Lots of areas to shop. But I would say if you want to visit walmart/target/BJs on sunrise...go early.. crowds can get a little crazy after 11am....

No flood insurance as our area was removed from flood maps a year ago. There was no flooding during sandy in our immediate area.

feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 AM

62 posts, read 105,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie_LI View Post
I'm interested in locating to the Valley Stream area, but it seems as if there are three distinct sections on the map. Valley Stream, South Valley Stream, and North Valley Stream. The demographics change significantly between Valley Stream proper and North.

What are the three areas like in terms of schools, shopping, pricing, and demographics?
Your best bet is to buy within the Village of Valley Stream. In my opinion, the rest of Valley stream seems to be going down hill. At least with the village there are rules which prevent the neighborhood from deteriorating. Most minorities seem to avoid living in villages, which is unfortunate. I think it may be due to the higher costs associated with living in a village i.e. village taxes, or maybe they just don't like the rules (no parking on the street after a certain time, cutting & maintaining the grass, no renting to multiple people, no loud music etc). Trust me, in the long run you won't regret that decision. If you are a minority yourself I think you will appreciate the fact that the "ghetto" types will not follow you there.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:53 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,907,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovebiking View Post
Your best bet is to buy within the Village of Valley Stream. In my opinion, the rest of Valley stream seems to be going down hill. At least with the village there are rules which prevent the neighborhood from deteriorating. Most minorities seem to avoid living in villages, which is unfortunate. I think it may be due to the higher costs associated with living in a village i.e. village taxes, or maybe they just don't like the rules (no parking on the street after a certain time, cutting & maintaining the grass, no renting to multiple people, no loud music etc). Trust me, in the long run you won't regret that decision. If you are a minority yourself I think you will appreciate the fact that the "ghetto" types will not follow you there.
Hello,

All of the Valley Stream's are about equally diverse with sizable amounts of minorities.

And there are lots of villages in Nassau County with plenty of minorities such as the Village of Westbury, the Village of Freeport and the Village of Hempstead.

Honestly, most of the crime in Valley Stream (as well as Elmont) are not due to the minority residents of VS; but due to some volatile city residents who come out to the Green Acres Mall/Walmart and other commercial locations and ending up bringing drama with them.

Whenever most ppl see a news article involving VS, they ONLY see the race of the person and jump to the conclusion that it's the minorities moving into the village causing the trouble: and flip out. But if you keep up with the story, chances are they aren't even from VS.

However, I do agree that villages do have higher taxes which keeps things prettier. On another note, I like South Valley Stream and North Valley Stream the most since they have the nicest sized homes/lot sizes IMO.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-01-2014 at 01:10 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 01:02 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Then why was crime not an issue when the VS wasn't diverse?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Then why was crime not an issue when the VS wasn't diverse?
What evidence do you have that crime wasn't a big issue prior to it being diverse?

Old 05-01-2014, 01:22 PM

204 posts, read 297,024 times
What difference does it make where the people who are committing the crime are from? As long as the crime is happening in Valley Stream it's a Valley Stream problem.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,538 times
Im not doing your research for you. How about you just go google crime rates in VS and see for yourself.

The place is becoming another diverse sewer.

Ive said it before....its too bad we cant put up a fence to separate Nassau from the encroaching elements of Queens.

Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 PM

196 posts, read 418,861 times
As far as schools:

Hewitt-Woodmere is the tops in the area, followed by VS North, then VS South then VS Central.

Last edited by breetai3; 05-01-2014 at 01:44 PM..

Old 05-01-2014, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Im not doing your research for you. How about you just go google crime rates in VS and see for yourself.

The place is becoming another diverse sewer.

Ive said it before....its too bad we cant put up a fence to separate Nassau from the encroaching elements of Queens.
There is no long-term Valley Stream crime-rate data available.

If you do find some data then I will gladly admit that I am wrong and that will be the end of this topic.

HOWEVER, here is some data that I did find clearly stating that things have actually been improving:
Quote:
Valley Stream median household income is $85,179 in 2008-2012 and has grown by 34.69% since 2000. The income growth rate is higher than the state average rate of 32.93% and is higher than the national average rate of 26.32%. Valley Stream median house value is $393,900 in 2008-2012 and has grown by 97.15% since 2000. The house value growth rate is about the same as the state average rate of 98.59% and is much higher than the national average rate of 51.67%. As a reference, the national Consumer Price Index (CPI) inflation rate for the same period is 26.63%. On average, the public school district that covers Valley Stream is better than the state average in quality.
Valley Stream, NY

If you've done "your own research" yourself before commenting then you would have easily found these facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island