Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2010, 03:28 AM

71 posts, read 232,228 times

Advertisements

Dear Clark Street Kid And Coney,

Sonny Fox wanted his version of "Wonderama"to be presented to the kids in

a manner.Where he acted like a mature,intelligent but caring and witty adult.

He once said at a lecture"I am not your buddy..I'm not going to wear a paper

hat and act silly and act like you.(He said this to the kid)but I don't want you to

act like me because you're a kid and you should act like one".

(I may not be saying his qouate right)but he made sure that he acted properly

before the kids on the show and made "Wonderama"informative,engaging and

fun.

Those clips from the show with Sonny and The kids speak for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 08:36 AM

Dear Clark Street Kid,

Actually..Sonny and his young co-hosts from CBS TV's "Let's Take A Trip"..Ms.Ginger MacManus,

Mr.Brian("Pud")Flannagan,Ms.Joan Terrance and Mr.Jimmy Walsh hosted the series from 1955 to

1958..they didn't mc the program for one season on CBS.

Fun City Man.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:01 PM

12,999 posts, read 18,808,945 times
Remember "Beany and Cecil?" How about "Rocky and Bullwinkle" which had all those allusions to the Cold war which most modern kids wouldn't understand. Remember when AM stations played music, mostly top 40? FM existed, but mostly it was classical or religious programming. And, am I mistaken or was there an ad in Times Square that had smoke coming out of someone's mouth?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 PM

19,054 posts, read 16,864,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Remember "Beany and Cecil?" How about "Rocky and Bullwinkle" which had all those allusions to the Cold war which most modern kids wouldn't understand. Remember when AM stations played music, mostly top 40? FM existed, but mostly it was classical or religious programming. And, am I mistaken or was there an ad in Times Square that had smoke coming out of someone's mouth?
I remember all of it! Listening to 77 WABC, Imus in the morning. Thesmoking billboard you remember was the Marlboro man in Times Square. People today don't even remember this advertising icon...

Old 10-10-2010, 06:53 PM

19,644 posts, read 20,457,118 times
I remember people actually smoking in department stores. You weren't supposed to, but they did anyway, and nobody really busted chops about it. This was in the 70's. The good ole days before this country became a watered down "PC" nightmare.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 PM

19,054 posts, read 16,864,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I remember people actually smoking in department stores. You weren't supposed to, but they did anyway, and nobody really busted chops about it. This was in the 70's. The good ole days before this country became a watered down "PC" nightmare.
As a smoker I don't mind going outside or a designated area but I agree the PC police have become an out of control nightmare.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:23 AM

This coming Wednesday November 24,2010 marks the 50th anniversary of the debut of one of

NYC kids tv's most popular and enduring holiday tv specials.

It was on Thursday November 24,1960 that WPIX TV Ch.11 in NYC first aired"The Thanksgiving Day

Jamboree". A Thanksgiving day children's party hosted by "Officer"/"Police Chief Joe"Bolton,"Captain Jack"McCarthy..and for a time Ms.Carol Corbett.

"The Thanksgiving Day Jamborees"were set against the backdrop of the living room of a private house and

The hosts/performers would engage the kids in the studio and those at home would entertain and inform the kids

in the studio and those at home..inbetween the reruns of old movie and tv cartoons and movie comedies.

If any of the users of this website have any memories of watching these former NYC based kids

holiday tv specials?..or If they appeared on those specials..Please share those memories with all of

us.

"Fun City Man".

Old 11-13-2010, 10:56 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,207,300 times
I guess I don't remember these, Fun City Man . I was more in the Herb Sheldon era.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-22-2011, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 7,141 times
This past Sunday February 20,2011 marked the 100th birthday of Kids TV's first educator:Paul Tripp.."Mr.I Magination!".If any of the users of"The Blast From The Past"site have any memories of seeing Mr.Tripp's tv shows,seeing him in person at any of the many venues in the NYC/NJ/Ct./LI area or..if they've ever appeared on his tv shows?

Please share them with all of us.

NYC Kids TV

Old 02-22-2011, 12:36 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,207,300 times
No, when was this show on? I don't remember it at all & we got our first TV in 1948 or something.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island