Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2014, 07:21 PM

83 posts, read 169,616 times

Advertisements

So, in my house hunt, I've been looking at homes in Lynbrook and a few have been on blocks where there is only 1-hour parking for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I would, of course, be able to park my own car in the driveway, but how do people handle this when they have guests over?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 07:50 PM

26 posts, read 69,035 times
Are there parking fields nearby? That could help.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:15 PM

50 posts, read 87,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekinchief View Post
So, in my house hunt, I've been looking at homes in Lynbrook and a few have been on blocks where there is only 1-hour parking for 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. I would, of course, be able to park my own car in the driveway, but how do people handle this when they have guests over?
Where is this? I have lived in Lynbrook my whole life
and they do have restrictive parking regulations but I have never encountered this.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:19 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
It's usually pretty obvious to the police if people are parking there to get free parking for the train station and who is parking there because they are guests of a resident. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Now overnight parking in any village can be a problem. No matter what you need to think about that. When I lived in Garden City they would let you call and give the plate number of the car that would be parked overnight.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:54 PM

49 posts, read 160,875 times
I live in the Lynbrook Village and my street has 2 hour max parking limit. There are days when my spouse and I have left our cars out on the street for more than the allowed time limit and were OK, we see our neighbors doing the same. Our theory is that the village police can tell which cars belong to residents (maybe by scanning the registration sticker), and then choose to let it slide.

We feel that the parking regulations are there to ensure commuters don't abuse street parking for when the take the LIRR to and from work. If the police can tell you're a resident parking in front of your own house, they may be less strict.

You can also call the police department and tell them ahead of time if you plan to have an event, or have people over. Another resident told me they notified the village police about their friends who stayed over for a few days after hurricane sandy--their car was parked on the street in front of the house and didn't get ticketed because the police already had the license plate number on file. You can also notify police about your need to park on the street if you're having your driveway re-done.

Old 06-16-2014, 12:26 PM

38 posts, read 52,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklyn2lynbrook View Post
I live in the Lynbrook Village and my street has 2 hour max parking limit. There are days when my spouse and I have left our cars out on the street for more than the allowed time limit and were OK, we see our neighbors doing the same. Our theory is that the village police can tell which cars belong to residents (maybe by scanning the registration sticker), and then choose to let it slide.

We feel that the parking regulations are there to ensure commuters don't abuse street parking for when the take the LIRR to and from work. If the police can tell you're a resident parking in front of your own house, they may be less strict.

You can also call the police department and tell them ahead of time if you plan to have an event, or have people over. Another resident told me they notified the village police about their friends who stayed over for a few days after hurricane sandy--their car was parked on the street in front of the house and didn't get ticketed because the police already had the license plate number on file. You can also notify police about your need to park on the street if you're having your driveway re-done.
I've lived in Lynbrook for about 20 years and worked there for about 10 years before that. I love Lynbrook, know many of the store owners, waiters, bartenders etc.
What you're saying about letting the PD know about events or construction work for parking allowances is true however, Lynbrook PD (and parking enforcement) DO NOT know your license plates or care if you are a resident. If you violate a parking regulation THEY WILL give you a ticket. In front of your own residence or not! You have just been lucky that you haven't been ticketed for parking for more than 2 hours.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:03 AM

49 posts, read 160,875 times
Thanks for the heads up Mr. G, like you said, I must have been lucky.

Old 10-25-2018, 10:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,160 times
Hey!

Anyone who lives near the train station and is interested in renting or sharing their driveway? My daughter is attending daycare near the train station, and I'm looking for options for parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: