Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 10:53 AM

6 posts, read 12,239 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are currently torn between building up on our home or moving to find a bigger home. We currently have a 3 bedroom ranch with a full finished basement, approx 1100 sq ft of living space. We live in N. Massapequa- Plainedge school district and love the area. We put a lot of money into our home renovating it and the notion of having to sell our home and start over with a new home is a little frightening.

If we built up we would want 4 bedrooms 1 bath and a half bath in the master. We also would want to make the main floor totally open, exterior siding...mainly an entire overhaul of the home. We haven't looked into prices for this yet, hopefully you guys can throw out some numbers. But overall should we stay and build up or move and find a bigger home . Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2015, 11:15 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
If you do choose the renovation route will your home be the only one that has been doubled in size or have others done it already? If you about the only one then it may be hard to sell down the road, just a thought. Also talk with an engineer/architect to see if you can have the wide open main floor you seek when the entire weight load of the new second floor must be carried through to the basement.

Good Luck

Old 05-18-2015, 11:17 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstice4U View Post
My wife and I are currently torn between building up on our home or moving to find a bigger home. We currently have a 3 bedroom ranch with a full finished basement, approx 1100 sq ft of living space. We live in N. Massapequa- Plainedge school district and love the area. We put a lot of money into our home renovating it and the notion of having to sell our home and start over with a new home is a little frightening.

If we built up we would want 4 bedrooms 1 bath and a half bath in the master. We also would want to make the main floor totally open, exterior siding...mainly an entire overhaul of the home. We haven't looked into prices for this yet, hopefully you guys can throw out some numbers. But overall should we stay and build up or move and find a bigger home . Thanks.
My biggest regret was selling our cape because we wanted larger. The home was in a great area, great SD, and I loved my neighbors. Looking back, we should've just dormered.

It depends on what your home is worth and what you owe on it, if you look at it from a purely financial aspect. You're looking at $150k-$200k for that second floor. My friend in Bellmore just added a second floor to his ranch and it cost him $180k.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:22 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,994,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jusstice4U View Post

Would you have all the bedrooms on the second floor? Or keep the 3 you have on the main level?

Old 05-18-2015, 11:29 AM

67 posts, read 150,755 times
Default Architect

Jusstice4U,

I sent you a DM.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,886,849 times
We did what the OP wants... putting 4 beds on the 2nd floor means having a huge open living area for the kids to move about and play on the 1st floor. Maybe keep a room for an office (we did) or guest bedroom. Cost estimate of $180k is probably very close (includes exterior work) unless things have changed in the last 5 years.

Another factor is - have you looked at bigger houses in another area? Does it fit your budget? Building up is stressful, but looking for a new place - you may never even find one that tops what you'd have. There are quite a few better schools than Plainedge - it's all about priorities and budget.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-18-2015 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-18-2015, 12:07 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Two things, if you increase square footage greater than 50% in Nassau you will be taxed as new construction. If you increase greater than 50% and you are in a flood zone you will lose your subsidized rates.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 PM

6 posts, read 12,239 times
There definitely homes in the area even my block that have done this renovation on the ranch style of home that I have so I dont think resale in the future would be an issue. I would like to have all bedrooms on the 2nd floor and possibly a den on the main floor but generally an open floor plan if possible. I do expect my taxes to go up I'm right around 11k now.

Old 05-18-2015, 03:42 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,402,582 times
Wow. The numbers you guys are throwing around $180k + to add a floor just seems astronomical. Do you even get anywhere near that return on investment when it comes time to sell? You can buy an entire house with a pool in many parts of the country for that amount of money.

Old 05-18-2015, 04:05 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,990,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Wow. The numbers you guys are throwing around $180k + to add a floor just seems astronomical. Do you even get anywhere near that return on investment when it comes time to sell? You can buy an entire house with a pool in many parts of the country for that amount of money.
It depends on what you bought the house for, how long ago, and what you owe on it to determine if it's worth it. Keep in mind, a lot of people don't think about resale, build on and plan to stay there until they leave feet first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island