Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 11:49 AM

4 posts, read 18,322 times

Advertisements

Our family is relocating very soon to Stony Brook, and because of time constraints, we may need to rent a home temporarily before we buy. Our realtor has suggested that there are several houses for rent in the S section of Stony Brook. Is this a nice development for a family, or is it over-run with Stony Brook students? What about purchasing in this neighborhood? We have two children, ages 6 and 12, and do not want to be in a neighborhood that has problems with student rentals. We have heard that there are issues with this recently, but are unsure of the areas to avoid. We were mainly looking to live North of 25A, but are open to other options. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,629,311 times
I think for a rental you'll survive in the S section until you get a grip on the area and do some diligent house-hunting north of 25A while you're renting. Your kids will still be in the TVCSD and will be eligible for any and all programs there.

There have been problems with enterprising landlords who don't follow the law, in that the rentals are supposed to be 1-family rentals, not rooming houses stuffed with single people (i.e., University students). This translates into too many cars parked in the street, parties, etc. If I owned a house there, I wouldn't want to have to live with that. But, if you're only renting until you get settled, I think you could rough it for a while.

Just be sure to ask neighbors who already live there if there's a house filled with students nearby. I think they'll be honest enough to tell you the truth.

The S section is a large (850 houses) family neighborhood. It has a couple of parks and an organization called the Sycamore Circle of Friends. Pretty much it's middle class - school teachers, accountants, IT people, small business owners, etc. - not as snazzy as north of 25A (although the taxes are the same), and certainly not as snobby as Old Field/South Old Field which is filled with doctors from University Hospital and other assorted well-heeled individuals. They even have their own resident billionnaire. Almost none of the houses have basements in the S section (there are something like 50 houses with basements scattered through the Strathmore neighborhoods), and as a result they can be very damp and musty during the summer, which is something to consider if someone in your family has bad allergies.

Also, Murphy Junior High is just across Nicolls Road from the S section, and as a result, the students who live within a half mile (or is it a mile?) of the school aren't entitled to bussing, and have to get there either by shoe leather express or mom or dad drives them. This is where Brooke Ellison was hit, right on Nicolls Road crossing to get back to her house in the S section. Nicolls Road is a 4-lane highway, 55 mph with some stop lights. There is a crossing guard and that's about it. So, if you do rent there, take a house that's more at the back of the neighborhood.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:14 PM

Thank you very much. I didn't know that busing was an issue in that neighborhood, nor did I realize that someone was hit. In addition, is there really a difference in the quality of education between Gelinas and Murphy junior high schools? My realtor seemed to suggest that one was better than the other.

There were also a few rentals around Christian ave, north of 25A, but I did hear there was a frat house in that area? We are starting to worry a bit about these rentals...Is Setauket any better?

Old 05-08-2014, 03:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,572,926 times
Hi wcon14 -- I live in Stony Brook and there are either one or two members of this board who live in the S-Section. It is very family oriented and they have a host of events throughout the year.

The area you want to avoid if you're concerned about student rentals is Stony Brook Road and several of the side streets off of that.

150 Christian Ave is the house you're referring to; the landlord was taken to court, received fines of about $28,000, and is been ordered to return the house back into a home -- all the illegal bedrooms must go. It was not, nor ever was, a frat house.

Christian Ave is mostly owner occupied homes in both Stony Brook and Setauket.

I live near Christian and if you have any questions about the rentals or homes for sale around there, feel free to dm me and I can tell you what I know about a given house or neighbors.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:39 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,085,269 times
The S-section seems very nice but you can always check rentals at Find Real Estate, Homes for Sale, Apartments & Houses for Rent - realtor.com® or Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate

Old 05-08-2014, 08:43 PM

Thank you. We actually would prefer to purchase North of 25A. Are there any family-friendly areas that have a neighborhood feel that you would recommend, in either Stony Brook or Setauket, aside from the S-section? Our realtor also recommended Island Estates...any thoughts on that?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:24 PM

Island Estates is south of 25A, nice area, don't really know if it has the neighborhood vibe that the S-Section does. If one is not careful, you can wind up with a house which is a cut-through for people going from Bennets Rd to Gnarled Hollow Rd trying to avoid Lower Sheep Pasture Rd.

There's a pocket in Stony Brook bordered by Christian Ave to the south, the Woodfield Loop to the North, Lubber and Quaker to the east. Nice neighborhood, limited traffic.

North of Christian and just off Mt Grey is Hillside. It loops to the west and has beach rights. Small neighborhood, limited traffic.

A little further up Mt Grey and you've entered Old Field South, which has a community group, some sort of an HOA, and community activities.

All of the streets which dead end north of Christian in Stony Brook are very nice.

There are nice homes in the triangle formed by Christian/Hollow/Cedar.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:30 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,381,566 times
I live in s section, and couldn't be happier. There are a few issues with college rentals, but a committee was started last year to monitor the situation. I personally haven't had any issues. I love the area, and it's a great place to raise a family. My opinion is north of 25a is definitely a bit snobby, but then again, most of Long Island is snobby.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
I live in s section, and couldn't be happier. There are a few issues with college rentals, but a committee was started last year to monitor the situation. I personally haven't had any issues. I love the area, and it's a great place to raise a family. My opinion is north of 25a is definitely a bit snobby, but then again, most of Long Island is snobby.
Hmmph! *tosses nose in the air* Your invite to the N25A gala has been rescinded! lmao

The snob factor increases further north of Christian. Those of us by the SBS are anything but.

The Concerned Citizens group has over 1,000 members and has had an impact which is starting to be seen.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:21 AM

36 posts, read 141,534 times
Im in the M section (albeit its the only S road in the M section) and we love the area. Maybe (and this is a big maybe) a student rental or two but definitely not an issue over here. Plenty of children in the area as telling by the basketball hoop in front of every other house. People walking, jogging, biking, the neighborhood all the time. Absolutely no through-traffic due to no exits to main roads on the backside. Property size average half an acre around here. Mount is the closest elementary school and has a fantastic reputation and staff. Murphy Middle is only two streets over. Coed Lane Park is an easy walk and nice area to sit and watch the kids run around. And to top it off, the neighbors are wonderful people. When we first moved in a year and a half ago, I was outside raking leaves and probably had no less than 10 neighbors from the immediate area drive by or walk by to greet and welcome us. It was an amazing feeling. To touch on the LI "snobby" topic, it really doesnt show in the M Section. Welcome to Stony Brook and I hope you enjoy it here as many of us do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island