Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 06:29 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I found the original comment very funny at the time for a few different reasons and then you flat-out contradicted yourself. South Huntington did just fine in all the stats I've read so I wouldn't sweat it.
I didn't contradict myself- I was talking about two entirely different things. Anyway, if you look back far enough I'm sure you *will* find posts that actually *do* contradict things I say today because I am fairly new to this whole school ranking thing so it's a learning process. And I'm sure in a few months I will learn something new & I will say something that contradicts something I said today. But what I said in the two posts you are comparing are actually not at all contradictory when taken in context like I explained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 06:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
Keeping the tradition alive, I have compiled this year's list of Long Island High School ranks based off the report cards released by NYSED a few weeks ago. This methodology was devised by a user here named Pequaman who has done them in the past. I sent him a message to see if he was still around and would like to do it again but got no response. So I took it upon myself to generate this year's list using his identical methodology which you can see at the bottom of the post. I also added a number at the end of each school. This number represents what % of graduates from that school had an Advanced Regents Designation which requires a score of 65 or above on the following
  1. Global History and Geography;
  2. U.S History and Government;
  3. Comprehensive English;
  4. All three mathematics exams;
  5. Two science exams, including Living Environment
The standard Regents diploma only requires 1 math exam and 1 science exam. I felt this was the most important number in the methodology and wanted to include it.

Obviously you should take as much stock in these ranks as to how good of a methodology you think was used. I like them, though I would probably want to swap out the History results with Life Sciences, personally.
Thank you for taking the time to carry on Pequaman's tradition.

One thing I would note is that the Global History results shouldn't be swapped out -- as tempting as it might be -- it's one constant across all graduation requirements. With respect to the advanced Regents designation, the students (last time I had a child through this) had to take 1 physical science Regents exam and 1 life science Regents exam.

All in all, it's good fun reading how schools change from year to year.

Old 05-08-2014, 06:54 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Thanks for doing this.

Surprised Hicksville hasn't picked it up still with the large indian population coming in year after year.

Anyway, here's last year's list for comparison: //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ks-2013-a.html
Interesting- the 2014 rankings are almost spot on with how I would rank the reputations of the top schools, whereas the 2013 list wasn't (a couple of exceptions, but very close- much closer than the 2013 list). Maybe it's just coincidence that the 2014 list is so close to how I would rank the schools. Do you have a 2012 list? I'd like to compare that as well.

Just out of curiosity- how does common core affect these rankings? Or does it not affect the rankings in any way? Were the exams revised to be in line with common core?

Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 PM

258 posts, read 456,596 times
I'm really disappointed Pat-Med isn't improving. The village is improving, North Patchogue and the areas of Medford the district covers always seemed like a decent enough place, I wish I knew what was going on with the schools.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarot View Post
I'm really disappointed Pat-Med isn't improving. The village is improving, North Patchogue and the areas of Medford the district covers always seemed like a decent enough place, I wish I knew what was going on with the schools.
Rome wasn't built in a day. As the village continues to improve and young families who will be involved in their childrens educations move in, you will start to see improvements.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:20 PM

196 posts, read 418,685 times
I meant to include the list from last year, and forgot. Looks like I can't edit my original post.

Here is the 2013 list:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...ks-2013-a.html

Here is 2012:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-rankings.html

Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post

Just out of curiosity- how does common core affect these rankings? Or does it not affect the rankings in any way? Were the exams revised to be in line with common core?
I believe the Regents are aligned with Common Core this school year, so these rankings aren't affected by those changes. Next year's list should be.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
There are some missing. Where's Uniondale SD?
yikes you are right! I used the list from last year as a guide, apparently there are some missing. I count 110 on my list and I googled the real number of districts and it seems there 127? Here is Union dale

44.9 - Uniondale (Uniondale) 24

If anyone catches more that are missing I'll do them.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:20 PM

244 posts, read 633,958 times
Surprised SWR is so low. I hope we didn't move into the wrong town...

Old 05-08-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
I believe the Regents are aligned with Common Core this school year, so these rankings aren't affected by those changes. Next year's list should be.
My youngest is in 9th, and they have to take two math finals -- 1 a CC final, the other is the Regents. I bought dd the Regents review book, and she said that they haven't learned a number of the things in it. It would appear that the math class has been teaching to the CC test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island