Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times

Advertisements

I really like the look & feel of these 2 neighborhoods...can anyone give me some feedback on what its like to actually live there? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 06:49 PM

56 posts, read 244,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I really like the look & feel of these 2 neighborhoods...can anyone give me some feedback on what its like to actually live there? Thanks!
We live in CSHarbor but I've sold alot of houses in both places & have friends there. They're both in the same SD (13). The houses in West Hills for the most part are more wooded & secluded- 2Acre lots by Chichester. You can sometimes find some good buys in Audobon Woods (not really "West Hills") that are one acre. CSHills has a Civic Association so you can get more involved in a community feeling if you want. Some of the houses back Cold Spring Hills Golf Course. You can hear the CSH train if that bothers you- but you can hear it from further away then that in actuality. If you commute you can find a house where you can walk to the station. In general CShills is more "manicured". Some of the houses back Jericho Tpke in both locales.
There is a mix of people in both (young & old). They're both lovely neighborhoods. I love the lamplights in CShills.

Old 12-11-2007, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kate View Post
We live in CSHarbor but I've sold alot of houses in both places & have friends there. They're both in the same SD (13). The houses in West Hills for the most part are more wooded & secluded- 2Acre lots by Chichester. You can sometimes find some good buys in Audobon Woods (not really "West Hills") that are one acre. CSHills has a Civic Association so you can get more involved in a community feeling if you want. Some of the houses back Cold Spring Hills Golf Course. You can hear the CSH train if that bothers you- but you can hear it from further away then that in actuality. If you commute you can find a house where you can walk to the station. In general CShills is more "manicured". Some of the houses back Jericho Tpke in both locales.
There is a mix of people in both (young & old). They're both lovely neighborhoods. I love the lamplights in CShills.
Thanks so much! Your comments are very helpful!! I actually *adore* the Main Street area in Cold Spring Harbor!! Its one of the main reasons I'm considering this area!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:41 PM

thank you- we live right off Main St - on Goose Hill- Walter's messages are very confusing to me with all the "hamlet" references. No one on LI calls anything a hamlet in real life. Suffice it to say when it comes to buying a house West Hills & CSHills are just different names for areas in Huntington in S. Hunt School District just like Halesite & West Neck are names of areas in Huntington also but in Hunt. SD#3. Both SDs have children from lower income parts of Huntington Sta. which can bring down scores. One reason Hunt. SD# 3 has a bad rep is because Huntington Elementary School is located on Lowdes Ave. which is a very low income area. But despite the location I have known people who sent their children through both districts & were happy.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:12 PM

Quote:
thank you- we live right off Main St - on Goose Hill- Walter's messages are very confusing to me with all the "hamlet" references. No one on LI calls anything a hamlet in real life. Suffice it to say when it comes to buying a house West Hills & CSHills are just different names for areas in Huntington in S. Hunt School District just like Halesite & West Neck are names of areas in Huntington also but in Hunt. SD#3. Both SDs have children from lower income parts of Huntington Sta. which can bring down scores. One reason Hunt. SD# 3 has a bad rep is because Huntington Elementary School is located on Lowdes Ave. which is a very low income area. But despite the location I have known people who sent their children through both districts & were happy.
2Kate, thanks again for your information. It is very helpful & addresses points I haven't heard anyone mention before. You are so lucky to live where you do...Cold Spring Harbor Main Street is one of the most quaint town centers I've seen anywhere on Long Island!

Old 12-11-2007, 10:55 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
2Kate, thanks again for your information. It is very helpful & addresses points I haven't heard anyone mention before. You are so lucky to live where you do...Cold Spring Harbor Main Street is one of the most quaint town centers I've seen anywhere on Long Island!
There are many other towns in LI like this actually, all on the Norht Shore. What is your budget and can I ask how you wound up with Cold Sprills Hills/West Hills?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
There are many other towns in LI like this actually, all on the Norht Shore. What is your budget and can I ask how you wound up with Cold Sprills Hills/West Hills?
I really like the Cold Spring Hills/ West Hills neighborhoods...I can't quite figure out why, but they feel *right* to me (I think maybe because they have a similar look & feel to the Chicago burbs I grew up in). Our budget is flexible now, but we don't want to spend a ton on a huge house until we have kids. Any other areas you'd recommend? Thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I really like the Cold Spring Hills/ West Hills neighborhoods...I can't quite figure out why, but they feel *right* to me (I think maybe because they have a similar look & feel to the Chicago burbs I grew up in). Our budget is flexible now, but we don't want to spend a ton on a huge house until we have kids. Any other areas you'd recommend? Thanks!
I don't know your other parameters but Old Chester Hills has a similar Currier & Ives "feel" to both West Hills & Cold Spring Hills. Similar price range too. Do you know where that is??? It's another part of Huntington TOO. Much further East & it's in Elwood SD (1)- borders Jericho Tpke on the South Side, Warner Rd on the East Side & LIttle Plains Rd on the North Side.
There has been alot of new construction (post Modern) in recent years but the older charming homes are mostly Farm Ranches all on acres. 11743 ALSO!!!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:27 AM

Quote:
I don't know your other parameters but Old Chester Hills has a similar Currier & Ives "feel" to both West Hills & Cold Spring Hills. Similar price range too. Do you know where that is??? It's another part of Huntington TOO. Much further East & it's in Elwood SD (1)- borders Jericho Tpke on the South Side, Warner Rd on the East Side & LIttle Plains Rd on the North Side.
There has been alot of new construction (post Modern) in recent years but the older charming homes are mostly Farm Ranches all on acres. 11743 ALSO!!!
I have never even heard of Old Chester Hills...will definitely check it out!! You hit the nail on the head about the "Currier & Ives" feel!! Thanks!!

Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Yes Old Chester Hills is in the Elwood school district, which is much better than Huntington or South Huntington districts.

search for homes

www.mlsli.com

You can search by school district or by town (or both).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island