Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 AM

111 posts, read 167,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
Yes if we are not yet ready moneywise and if we cannot own something to the degree of what we wish to own and if we find it we can only rent we can decide either to live with each other at either house and to continue to save money. There is no time limit for us to move out although I would like to buy something after the time we are married. Her parents feel that it's good that we focus on the wedding in 2016 and then look for a home. To enjoy the time now.
I see. Does the money you are being helped with have to be paid back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:34 AM

480 posts, read 669,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebleu View Post
I see. Does the money you are being helped with have to be paid back?
Nope. Doesn't need to be paid back.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:04 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Nope. Doesn't need to be paid back.
I'm not judging but I kind of feel like by 34 you shouldn't have to be relying on your parents for $.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm not judging but I kind of feel like by 34 you shouldn't have to be relying on your parents for $.
Her parents are paying for wedding. Mine will down payment. Noting wrong with that especially if LI prices screw over people. Ill take help if offered.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:16 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Exactly. I was surprised to see the OP is 34. I thought he was about 24 given the way he talks about money.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Exactly. I was surprised to see the OP is 34. I thought he was about 24 given the way he talks about money.
I am 31. Will be 34 in 2016. My past is my past and I haven't been so great with money. Was lost for years. Parents and I didn't have a good relationship until I woke up last year and decided to do something about it and get a full time job rather than freelance and have nothing. So that's why it seems like I have little to nothing because I do and am working my way up. Her and I have 35,000 saved together so far. A good start.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:16 PM

111 posts, read 167,060 times
Quote:
I am 31. Will be 34 in 2016. My past is my past and I haven't been so great with money. Was lost for years. Parents and I didn't have a good relationship until I woke up last year and decided to do something about it and get a full time job rather than freelance and have nothing. So that's why it seems like I have little to nothing because I do and am working my way up. Her and I have 35,000 saved together so far. A good start.
With your age, I can see why you want to own in the near future. Don't worry, most people in this country are living paycheck to paycheck, especially in their 20s and early 30s. So 35K is not bad at all. Hope you know how lucky you are that your parents are willing to give you 70K for a home. With that kind of money, I'd say get out of NY and buy a newer home somewhere else, but that has been discussed already.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Yes if we are not yet ready moneywise and if we cannot own something to the degree of what we wish to own and if we find it we can only rent we can decide either to live with each other at either house and to continue to save money. There is no time limit for us to move out although I would like to buy something after the time we are married. Her parents feel that it's good that we focus on the wedding in 2016 and then look for a home. To enjoy the time now.
I think if things become too crazy here then we may have to consider moving away from Long Island. I think by 2016 we should have 100k saved. That is my goal. Hopefully a little more. Depends.

Old 05-21-2014, 12:47 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
Quote:
I think if things become too crazy here then we may have to consider moving away from Long Island. I think by 2016 we should have 100k saved. That is my goal. Hopefully a little more. Depends.
I'm sorry, but you are just sharing WAY too much about your personal life on here. Does you soon to be fiance appreaciate you posting all of this information?

I can almost predict what I'm going to read when I scroll to one of your posts. You jump all over the place on where you want to live and have all of these lofty goals about where you're going to be in 2 years.

What if something happens in those 2 years that you're not prepared for financially? To be making all these long range goals you must be one hell of a fortune teller.

Please give it a rest for a while

Old 05-21-2014, 12:55 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Her parents are paying for wedding. Mine will down payment. Noting wrong with that especially if LI prices screw over people. Ill take help if offered.
LI prices are not screwing over a lot of people. LI prices are screwing over you. Instead of borrowing $$ from mom & dad like a child, do something pn your own like an adult to better your situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island