Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 02:09 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIQUEST View Post
We saw a few two bedroom two baths that a right off of Mill River Road and although small if we had to move into a home like that we would because we love the area and we like living closer to the city rather than further out east. We look at homes a lot just to kind of see what we could aim for and what the possibilities are at this point in time and Oyster Bay is a place that we really like and agree on that there are homes that we can live in that will be substantial for what we're looking for at this point in time.

There are no decent homes in Oyster Bay for your price of $200,000. None.

Mill River Rd. and Pine Hollow Rd. are two of the worst streets in Oyster Bay. If you purchase a home on either of those areas, you will have a difficult time reselling it.

Pine Hollow Rd. is mixed use commercial and residential. It has a seedy reputation.

Mill River Rd. is mostly comprised of rental properties. It's a busy two lane street. Many house hold workers live there and always have.

Currently, there is no house for sale on Mill River Rd. that are are $200,000. None.
Mill River Rd. also has low income housing. That will further depress the value of your house, but NOT apparently in your price range, as there is no house that you can afford there.

As of this minute , because I just checked; the least expensive home in Oyster Bay is on the very busy Lexington Ave. (108 Lexington Ave). Not as bad an area as Mill River Rd., but still many rental
The asking price is $309,000.

There is a one bedroom co-op on Lexington Ave. that is $169,900. Maintenance is over $811 per month. With your mortgage payment that's over $1600.
But that's a one bedroom Co-op.

If your heart is set on the seedy parts of the village of Oyster Bay, here are the are some areas where servants of the wealthy have traditionally lived.

Lake Avenue. This street has a series of houses built as investment properties. There is one for sale now that has 2 bedrooms and one bath on 50 X 100. If you want to shake your neighbors hand out of the kitchen window, you can do that!

This bungalow 16 Lake Ave, is on the market for $319,000. Taxes are $510 per month. The one next door - identical to it - is $339,000. Same taxes.

The "seedy" areas of Oyster Bay are as follows - Pine Hollow Rd. Lake Ave. Mill River Rd. Tooker Ave. Hamilton Ave. Orchard St. and anything near the rail road station.

And you STILL can't afford them.

If you want to live near NYC, why Oyster Bay? It has a horrible train line. (you need to change at Jamaica) and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the LIE.

You *may* be able to afford Valley Stream, Elmont, Freeport, Baldwin, Levittown or Massapequa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2014, 04:18 PM

480 posts, read 669,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
There are no decent homes in Oyster Bay for your price of $200,000. None.

Mill River Rd. and Pine Hollow Rd. are two of the worst streets in Oyster Bay. If you purchase a home on either of those areas, you will have a difficult time reselling it.

Pine Hollow Rd. is mixed use commercial and residential. It has a seedy reputation.

Mill River Rd. is mostly comprised of rental properties. It's a busy two lane street. Many house hold workers live there and always have.

Currently, there is no house for sale on Mill River Rd. that are are $200,000. None.
Mill River Rd. also has low income housing. That will further depress the value of your house, but NOT apparently in your price range, as there is no house that you can afford there.

As of this minute , because I just checked; the least expensive home in Oyster Bay is on the very busy Lexington Ave. (108 Lexington Ave). Not as bad an area as Mill River Rd., but still many rental
The asking price is $309,000.

There is a one bedroom co-op on Lexington Ave. that is $169,900. Maintenance is over $811 per month. With your mortgage payment that's over $1600.
But that's a one bedroom Co-op.

If your heart is set on the seedy parts of the village of Oyster Bay, here are the are some areas where servants of the wealthy have traditionally lived.

Lake Avenue. This street has a series of houses built as investment properties. There is one for sale now that has 2 bedrooms and one bath on 50 X 100. If you want to shake your neighbors hand out of the kitchen window, you can do that!

This bungalow 16 Lake Ave, is on the market for $319,000. Taxes are $510 per month. The one next door - identical to it - is $339,000. Same taxes.

The "seedy" areas of Oyster Bay are as follows - Pine Hollow Rd. Lake Ave. Mill River Rd. Tooker Ave. Hamilton Ave. Orchard St. and anything near the rail road station.

And you STILL can't afford them.

If you want to live near NYC, why Oyster Bay? It has a horrible train line. (you need to change at Jamaica) and it takes about 30 minutes to get to the LIE.

You *may* be able to afford Valley Stream, Elmont, Freeport, Baldwin, Levittown or Massapequa.
Good points and thanks for sharing. Levittown and Massapequa are definitely two places that we would consider living. I was unaware that Millriver Road is a bad area.

Old 05-17-2014, 07:39 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Just in case you are not familiar with the site Find a home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens | MLSLI.com - Long Island Real Estate. It is the real estate listings for Long Island.
Play around with that one, trulia.com and redfin.com to view the current listings and see what is out there.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:38 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
She's studying and getting her NY liscense for her field so we have to stay here for the time being plus she wants to live close to family.
As a married man let me give you a hint:

MOVE OFF THE ISLAND BEFORE KIDS.

No, really. Money issues are the #1 cause of failed marraiges and the strain living on Long Island puts on your finances is enormous compared to 98% of the country. Unless her income is directly tied to NYC: GO ELSEWHERE. Especially for a young couple. I've been looking to move out of our house since 2009ish and this past year decided that our fates don't end up on the island unless drastic changes in the state and local governments take place. The homes we priced in Manorville (2500-3000sqft, ~1acre, ~$400K) carried taxes between $10-12K/yr, some reaching $14K. Same houses in most other areas of the country in good school districts are between $200-350k and between $1-3K in taxes.

Now take those figures and calculate how much less you will need to make in mortgage alone to live. It's pretty staggering.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
As a married man let me give you a hint:

MOVE OFF THE ISLAND BEFORE KIDS.

No, really. Money issues are the #1 cause of failed marraiges and the strain living on Long Island puts on your finances is enormous compared to 98% of the country. Unless her income is directly tied to NYC: GO ELSEWHERE. Especially for a young couple. I've been looking to move out of our house since 2009ish and this past year decided that our fates don't end up on the island unless drastic changes in the state and local governments take place. The homes we priced in Manorville (2500-3000sqft, ~1acre, ~$400K) carried taxes between $10-12K/yr, some reaching $14K. Same houses in most other areas of the country in good school districts are between $200-350k and between $1-3K in taxes.

Now take those figures and calculate how much less you will need to make in mortgage alone to live. It's pretty staggering.
She's 25 turning 26. Don't want to have kids until she's 31. That should give us enough time in early 2017 when we close on a house to see it in three years we can do Long Island and have kids. There's really no rush.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:23 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
She's 25 turning 26. Don't want to have kids until she's 31. That should give us enough time in early 2017 when we close on a house to see it in three years we can do Long Island and have kids. There's really no rush.
Accidents happen.

You leave little room in case of fertility issues.

After you have a house here you are probably going to be stuck.

Your call, so good luck.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Accidents happen.

You leave little room in case of fertility issues.

After you have a house here you are probably going to be stuck.

Your call, so good luck.
To each their own. Some can make it work and others can't. Same to go for any place all over the United States. We have emotional and monetary support just in case things go south or in case were in a pinch. That's the good thing about having family here on Long Island. I understand your first-hand experience and I would think that my experiences and my lifestyles would be much different than others because everyone is different. We're not looking to live outside of our means. We have agreed that we would like a house that has a mortgage just around 1000 a month. If not lower than that. Anything higher than that we are not interested in getting and if we can get a really rundown house with a good foundation in a good neighborhood then we are going to utilize that as a work in progress for the following 10 to 15 years to build up and put money into.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:34 PM

11,635 posts, read 12,703,351 times
What does your fiancee's family think about it? That might influence her decision. Sometimes, there are no options and you have no choice but to live close to family. Otherwise, they might prefer that you live somewhere else in order to have a better standard of living.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Just throwing this out there: unless you have reliable family lined up to watch your little ones on the cheap, the cost of decent daycare is staggering. As in several hundred dollars per week. And it doesn't end when they start school either, if you need before- or after-school care and day camp during the summer. Honestly, we're in a similar income range, and a big part of why we never bought a house was because it came down to being able to afford a house or kids.

Quote:

Last edited by Ginge McFantaPants; 05-18-2014 at 01:01 PM..

Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
What does your fiancee's family think about it? That might influence her decision. Sometimes, there are no options and you have no choice but to live close to family. Otherwise, they might prefer that you live somewhere else in order to have a better standard of living.
I haven't spoken to her family about it but I know that my girlfriend wants to be close to her family and she thinks the places like Albany are too far. It's about three hours from Long Island. I would eventually move there but I think her ideas that worst-case scenario we rent or get a condo somewhere. But when it comes to getting a condo there seem to be houses in the same range from 180 and up. Also we are not being forced to move out or anything. We are still both living at home with our parents. I feel that we are in a good situation more so than many others could've possibly been in because of the fact that we are saving up and not really spending much on bills or anything such as that. We don't pay for rent. So our hope is to have 100,000 if not more by our wedding in the fall of 2016. That with a $70,000 down payment is a good start to having some sort of sufficient life on long island. I see that there are a lot of negative people on here and everyone's situation is different. Just because summer dinner about their mistakes and about a lot of the issues that are here on Long Island doesn't mean that I need to go about it in a negative way. We have options and we are in a good situation monetarily and family support wise. Obviously we can't own a home on our current salaries for anything over 250 with 70k down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island