Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:35 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
Walter, I know you mean well with your data, but how is it valuable or to be used by someone who's not from the area and looking for information regarding a location or neighborhood?

I find that your information only confuses people or puts them to sleep.
Within the context of this forum Walter's information is a wealth of data for people who may not know a lot about LI. Which includes most Lawn Gi-landers.

I know I can see a post and say mmm I bet Walter has posted "Well in case you didn't know" lol - love it. This is an highly informational web site about geographic locations worldwide.

Forums are only as good as their content. As such this is a perfect venue for Walter's contributions. As the years go by you will never know how much his information may have helped 1000's or maybe even just one person. And that's at least good enough for me.

Have a Happy and safe Holiday season, from a former Gilander.

Last edited by BovinaCowHateWindTurbines; 12-11-2007 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM

20 posts, read 102,283 times
As far as the school districts, Cold Spring Harbor would probably be considered the best. Of course it's huge bucks to live in the district, and even if you can find a way in if you don't have the money to live the lifestyle, it might be uncomfortable for your kids.

Harborfields would be considered next best, it's top 5 overall in Suffolk County. Elwood would be right after Harborfields, it's another very good school district.

Huntington and South Huntington(Walt Whitman) would be considered less desirable.

And of course there are various private schools including St Anthonys High School which has an excellent reputation.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:57 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorny View Post
As far as the school districts, Cold Spring Harbor would probably be considered the best. Of course it's huge bucks to live in the district, and even if you can find a way in if you don't have the money to live the lifestyle, it might be uncomfortable for your kids.

Harborfields would be considered next best, it's top 5 overall in Suffolk County. Elwood would be right after Harborfields, it's another very good school district.

Huntington and South Huntington(Walt Whitman) would be considered less desirable.

And of course there are various private schools including St Anthonys High School which has an excellent reputation.
If choosing b/w South Huntington and Huntington, most people say that South Huntington is much preferable.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM

17 posts, read 24,855 times
I would put Half Hollow Hills just behind Cold Spring Harbor but ahead of the others.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 AM
VTP

200 posts, read 957,419 times
South Huntington SD used to be a very popular "escape hatch" for those who were looking to get out of the Huntington SD, and couldn't afford something like Cold Spring Harbor or Harborfields. Alas, South Huntington has falled on bad times and now the schools are no better than Huntington's and many argue they are worse. Lots of non-English speakers and like concerns. Don't let Huntington's appearance fool you. Most of the nicest parts, such as the pretty streets around the village, the very expensive areas around Huntington Bay, and the attractive streets (some of them) around Cherry Lane are in the Huntington SD, which is definitely not worth the move, unless you like to pay for private school. If you like being near Huntington, I would move either west to Cold Spring Harbor, or east to Centerport, or to the eastern part of Huntington that is in Harborfields SD #6 (and a good part of it is, but you need to make absolutely certain of this). Confused? I'd be happy to chat about the are if you want to PM me.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:54 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
South Huntington SD used to be a very popular "escape hatch" for those who were looking to get out of the Huntington SD, and couldn't afford something like Cold Spring Harbor or Harborfields. Alas, South Huntington has falled on bad times and now the schools are no better than Huntington's and many argue they are worse. Lots of non-English speakers and like concerns. Don't let Huntington's appearance fool you. Most of the nicest parts, such as the pretty streets around the village, the very expensive areas around Huntington Bay, and the attractive streets (some of them) around Cherry Lane are in the Huntington SD, which is definitely not worth the move, unless you like to pay for private school. If you like being near Huntington, I would move either west to Cold Spring Harbor, or east to Centerport, or to the eastern part of Huntington that is in Harborfields SD #6 (and a good part of it is, but you need to make absolutely certain of this). Confused? I'd be happy to chat about the are if you want to PM me.
We don't have kids yet, so even kindergarten is at least 6 years away. I guess we can wait & see if South Huntington SD has improved or declined by then? At that point, we may be ready for a bigger house anyway, so we'd probably consider Cold Spring Harbor SD at that point (or even private schools). Is there any reason I should consider getting into a good school district right away?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:13 AM

56 posts, read 244,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
We don't have kids yet, so even kindergarten is at least 6 years away. I guess we can wait & see if South Huntington SD has improved or declined by then? At that point, we may be ready for a bigger house anyway, so we'd probably consider Cold Spring Harbor SD at that point (or even private schools). Is there any reason I should consider getting into a good school district right away?
You should buy the best possible house you can afford in the best possible location you can afford based on what characteristics you want & what compromises you're willing to make.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:49 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
A "Good" school district certainly helps your home's resale value when you are ready to sell. The problem is, school districts change over time, as do people's perception of them.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:32 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,604 times
Take a look at Lloyd Harbor - but be prepared price-wise. All of the lots there are 2+ acres, it's in the CSH school district (what you want), prices are very high. But you can find normal houses there that aren't priced through the roof.

And your beloved village of CSH is about 5 minutes away - so is Huntington Village.

A very beautiful spot if it's within your financial reach.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:00 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Take a look at Lloyd Harbor ... And your beloved village of CSH is about 5 minutes away - so is Huntington Village.
You can also check out the Village of Laurel Hollow in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County, because it, too, is in the Cold Spring Harbor Central School District (it's one of 3 bi-county school districts, being partly in Suffolk and partly in Nassau County: the other two are the Farmingdale Union Free School District and the Amityville Union Free School District). For sports teams, the Cold Spring Harbor Union Free School District is considered "Nassau County".

While Lloyd Harbor and Laurel Hollow are villages, Cold Spring Harbor and Huntington are hamlets, not villages.

For the NYS definition of city, town, village, hamlet and postal zone, please see:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island