Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 05:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
You can also hit up Roosevelt Fields in Garden City for Nordstrom ...

The Roosevelt Field mall is in the Hamlet of East Garden City ("Garden City, NY 11530" mailing address).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 07:12 PM

56 posts, read 244,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Thanks for the info...good to know it doesn't have a food court! I can definitely see that keeping out teenagers!
I grew up in Nassau County & when we moved out here many many moons ago Huntington (& the Walt Whitman Mall) seemed like the end of the earth to me, but it really isn't. Walt Whitman Mall is as safe as any place can be given the lunatics abound. It is all one level & at least 1/2 the size of Roosevelt Field. For someone that hates shopping & malls like me it is very easy to go to & get around in. I never ever had a problem parking & there are enough upscale shops to make it interesting. For some unknown reason my 17 yr old hates it & prefers the Broadway Mall. I think it used to be because there is no Hot Topic at Walt Whitman. I just asked her- she's off Hot Topic (thank God!) & onto H & M. Alas no H & M either at Walt Whitman.

ps- there are many lovely areas in Huntington Station.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:09 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
The Walt Whitman Mall is in a nice area, you should have no real problems. Huntington Station gets a bit of a bad rep. It has some sketchy areas, no question about it, but those areas are generally small. Also even in the tougher parts of Huntington Station, unless your involved in gangs you should have no problem. Their are some problems with gangs in certain areas of Huntington station (away from the mall) but its pretty much gang on gang, and the gangs really only cause problems with other gangs and not ordinary citzzens.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:15 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Walt Whitman Mall is in a nice area, you should have no real problems. Huntington Station gets a bit of a bad rep. It has some sketchy areas, no question about it, but those areas are generally small. Also even in the tougher parts of Huntington Station, unless your involved in gangs you should have no problem. Their are some problems with gangs in certain areas of Huntington station (away from the mall) but its pretty much gang on gang, and the gangs really only cause problems with other gangs and not ordinary citzzens.
Good to hear this...coming from the UWS of Manhattan, gangs are something I luckily never have to deal with. I wouldn't want to move to a suburban area where gangs are a bigger problem than where I currently live.

Old 12-11-2007, 10:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
Thank you!!!! I admit, I am quite excited about the Saks!! We're considering moving to the area & I wanted to make sure the mall wasn't sketchy...you'd figure w/ Saks & the other upscale stores it would be fine, but you never know!

The mall is NOT sketchy at all. Even though it is in Huntington Station, not all of HS is "bad" and this is in a busy commercial area.

Very upscale mall. In fact, no real lower cost stores here so do the math. They even have the only SAKS on LI, so that mall is certainly attractin high end shoppers who live in the surrounding towns.

I have been there just recently. Send me a private message if you prefer.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:57 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Actually, the mall is in South Huntington, not Huntington Station. Interestingly, they have the same zip code 11746. So does the tony Dix Hills. Walter, take it away!!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:19 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Actually, the mall is in South Huntington, not Huntington Station. Interestingly, they have the same zip code 11746. So does the tony Dix Hills. Walter, take it away!!
Already did:

//www.city-data.com/forum/2227277-post2.html

To which, I can now add the map of the Hamlet of South Huntington:

Old 12-12-2007, 04:22 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
I think it used to be because there is no Hot Topic at Walt Whitman.

no Hot Topic. I love it already.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:54 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents -

I've never even given it a second thought about going to WW Mall - in fact, I stop off there at Lord & Taylor quite often - they have their own covered parking in the back of the store. It is definitely South Huntington where the mall is.

You may want to take a look at West Hills if you want a nice place to live that's close to that area. Driving around the streets such as Chichester, West Hills Road south of Jericho, Sweet Hollow, and some of the other side streets, you'll see some upscale houses (there's a horse farm too, tucked in there). It's sort of an oasis. Plus there's a Suffolk County park - good for hiking. Definitely put it on your browsing list.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:46 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The mall had a terrible fire about sixteen years ago and all of the shops were closed and the mall totally redone. It deliberately does not have a food court (to keep out teenagers and riff -raff ). As a result, it isa a very safe place with The Cheesecake Factory right there that has just opened. Can't wait to go.
I was working at A&S when the fire happened in McCrory's. After that the mall was in decline for years so it's good to hear that it's back on it's feet again. I'll have to check it out on my next trip up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island