Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 03:12 PM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times

Advertisements

How is Walt Whitman Mall? It seems to have a lot of nice shops, but its in Huntington Station, which I've heard people say is an an area to avoid. Are there area safety concerns at the mall?

Everyone here is so helpful...we're thinking about moving to Long Island & I cannot tell you how helpful this board has been!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 03:25 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Walt Whitman Malln is in the Hamlet of South Huntington ("Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address).

For those who may not be familiar with South Huntington:

South Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of South Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; on the east by the Hamlet of Dix Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of Dix Hills and the Hamlet of Melville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Hills.

South Huntington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of South Huntington have either a "Huntington Station, NY 11746", a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" or a "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 12-11-2007, 03:55 PM

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Walt Whitman Malln is in the Hamlet of South Huntington ("Huntington Station, NY 11746" mailing address).

For those who may not be familiar with South Huntington:

South Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of South Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; on the east by the Hamlet of Dix Hills; on the south by the Hamlet of Dix Hills and the Hamlet of Melville; and, on the west by the Hamlet of West Hills.

South Huntington is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of South Huntington have either a "Huntington Station, NY 11746", a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" or a "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Thanks for the detailed info...but do you happen to have any info regarding my original question (are there any safety concerns at the Walt Whitman Mall)?

Old 12-11-2007, 03:58 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
That part of Huntington is all retail. I've never had any sort of issue or felt uncomfortable in any way at that mall. It has a Saks for christsakes.

Across from the mall there is a REALLY good buffet called East. It's around $30/pp for dinner and their food is delicious, try it out if you're in the area.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:03 PM

Default Thanks!!:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
That part of Huntington is all retail. I've never had any sort of issue or felt uncomfortable in any way at that mall. It has a Saks for christsakes.

Across from the mall there is a REALLY good buffet called East. It's around $30/pp for dinner and their food is delicious, try it out if you're in the area.
Thank you!!!! I admit, I am quite excited about the Saks!! We're considering moving to the area & I wanted to make sure the mall wasn't sketchy...you'd figure w/ Saks & the other upscale stores it would be fine, but you never know!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:04 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
It's not sketchy at all, has a Bloomies, Saks, Macys and good shops. You can also hit up Roosevelt Fields in Garden City for Nordstrom, and there are is a mall nearby that has a Saks off Fifth Outlet and a Nordstrom Rack in the same complex.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:12 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Thanks for the detailed info...but do you happen to have any info regarding my original question (are there any safety concerns at the Walt Whitman Mall)?

The mall had a terrible fire about sixteen years ago and all of the shops were closed and the mall totally redone. It deliberately does not have a food court (to keep out teenagers and riff -raff ). As a result, it isa a very safe place with The Cheesecake Factory right there that has just opened. Can't wait to go.

Old 12-11-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

The mall had a terrible fire about sixteen years ago and all of the shops were closed and the mall totally redone. It deliberately does not have a food court (to keep out teenagers and riff -raff ). As a result, it isa a very safe place with The Cheesecake Factory right there that has just opened. Can't wait to go.
Thanks for the info...good to know it doesn't have a food court! I can definitely see that keeping out teenagers!

Old 12-11-2007, 04:58 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,399,244 times
WW Mall is fine, no issues of a bad element.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
WW Mall is fine, no issues of a bad element.
Thank you so much!! I'm very happy to hear this!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island