Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I live in South Floral Park (Nassau) and in my tiny village ...
Tiny really does not do South Floral Park justice.

Originally incorporated as the Village of Jamaica Square, the Village of South Floral Park encompasses (this may be too powerful a verb to be using here) an area of only 64 acres!

According to my quick calculation, 64 acres = 0.1 square miles (yep, that's a 1/10th of a square mile). In other words, if the Village of South Floral Park was a perfect square, then each of its sides would be slightly less than 1/3rd of a mile (actually each side would be 0.316 miles and the perimeter of the village would be 1.265 miles).

The Village of South Floral Park in the Town of Hempstead in Nassau County is the smallest village in either Nassau or Suffolk counties in terms of acreage because it is also the smallest in New York State. (The Village of Dering Harbor in the Town of Shelter Island and the Village of Saltaire in the Town of Islip, both in Suffolk County, are the 1st and 2nd smallest in New York State in terms of population.)

For those who may not be familiar with South Floral Park:

South Floral Park is a village (first incorporated in 1925 as the Village of Jamaica Square, but the name was changed to South Floral Park in 1931) in the northwest part of the Town of Hempstead, in the central-west part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of South Floral Park in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north, east and west by the Village of Floral Park; and, on the south by the Hamlet of Elmont.

South Floral Park is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the South Floral Park have a "Floral Park, NY 11001" mailing address.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/15/South-floral-park-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 12-12-2007 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Added map
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:18 AM

999 posts, read 2,357,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Here are a few observations (with generalizations of course)

Another interesting (but not really noteworthy) thing - it seems perfectly normal to park facing the "wrong way" on residential streets in Suffolk county. Doing this in Nassau will guarantee you a ticket almost immediately. Has anyone else noted this ?
Property taxes would plumet if they ticketed all the cars parked the wrong way in suffolk county

Old 12-12-2007, 11:58 AM

706 posts, read 3,762,817 times
I think the difference for some areas of Nassau would be $$

Old 12-12-2007, 12:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noc View Post
I live in South Floral Park (Nassau) and in my tiny village we can park on the opposite side of the street. The reason for this is b/c everyone knows it is not permanent parking. Also every vehicle MUST be off the street at 2am anyway or you will get a ticket. One of the great things I like about my village. My roads are empty at night and in the early morning.
Everyone is facing in the same direction, though, yes?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Property taxes would plumet if they ticketed all the cars parked the wrong way in suffolk county
LMAO!

What a source of revenue it would be! I supposed our elected officials park backwards, too, or else they would have passed that into law!

Old 12-12-2007, 03:04 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
If you are parking on the wrong side of the street you had to drive on the wrong side to get there and drive on the wrong side to get out of there, so you should be ticketed.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:40 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
4. Both counties were once heavily Republican, and have trended heavily Democratic in recent years, however Suffolk has long been the more GOP county. For example while it may not be the only thing to look at; on the Presidential level the last time Nassau was more GOP than Suffolk was 1924.
It's all about perspective to a degree...having come from the city when I first moved here (to Nassau county at the time) the entire island felt awfully republican. My mother in-law was casually mentioning one night that she registered Republican once she moved from the city to the island so she "could vote". The chatter amongst the residents had always been that in order to get goverment services and have a say you had to be Republican. But when moving to Suffolk I believe the Suffolk County Exec had been Republican for something like 46 years straight at the time...Levy is the first Democrat in a very long time. As far as the differences go...I no longer need to get into the city on a regular basis so I could never move back to Nassau...I got used to the elbow room.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
It's all about perspective to a degree...having come from the city when I first moved here (to Nassau county at the time) the entire island felt awfully republican. My mother in-law was casually mentioning one night that she registered Republican once she moved from the city to the island so she "could vote". The chatter amongst the residents had always been that in order to get goverment services and have a say you had to be Republican. But when moving to Suffolk I believe the Suffolk County Exec had been Republican for something like 46 years straight at the time...Levy is the first Democrat in a very long time. As far as the differences go...I no longer need to get into the city on a regular basis so I could never move back to Nassau...I got used to the elbow room.
Compared to the city LI is obviously more Republican (though actually votes more Democratic than Staten Island), and for a long time was Republican period. For example from 1916 to 1988, Nassau County only voted for the Dem Presidential candidate once and that was Johnson's 64 landslide, but hasn't voted for the GOP on the Presidential level since. Gore won by almost 20 in 2000. Even when it was staunchly GOP, Long Island was not exactly the most conservative place on earth, not exactly liberal, but a good chunk of that GOP vote were the old school moderate Rockefeller type Republicans, who have left the party in recent years.

Not sure how far back you moved out here, but LI at one point was extremely Republican on the local level. Their are some areas they still are especially Hempstead and Oyster Bay, but as a whole not nearly as strong as it once was. Suffolk the same thing, Brookhaven and Islip the GOP has large massive ground (did gain back the majority on the town council in Brookhaven this past election, but Dems still have the Supervisor seat.

The GOP once controlled everything on LI, but look at recent elections, Dems have won LI on the Presidential level, Senate level, Gov level. Four of the five LI Congressman are Democrats, the only Republican left faced the toughest challenge, and had the closest race out of the five last year. Both counties have Dem County Execs, Majority Dem Legislatures, Dem DA's. The only thing the GOP has held onto on LI is the State Senate, which till recently they held all nine seats. Had a special election earlier this year for Balboni's old seat, which they lost, have several possible very competitive state senate seat's next year which they need to defend.

Anyway I didn't mean to turn this into a political debate, but when you look at where LI was politically 10-20 years ago or so, compared to where it is now, its night and day. As a Democrat in my mid 20's I am much better off now on LI (from a political standpoint) than I would have been 15 years ago.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:55 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
From reading threads here, it seems like there's a huge difference...people seem to have very strong opinions on Nassau vs. Suffolk. Coming from NYC, I'm trying to figure all of this out. Thanks!
Besides county you also should look at North Shore, South Shore and the nether region in between. Back when I lived on the Island I found that was more of a difference than which county you lived in.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:12 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Besides county you also should look at North Shore, South Shore and the nether region in between. Back when I lived on the Island I found that was more of a difference than which county you lived in.
There are counties in Long Island?? I never hear them mentioned!! What are some?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island