Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:04 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
It still is not making sense, and I took quite a bit of math. 1500 dollars is very little money considering you pay for everything out of it. I pay 6 grand and feel I am grossly underpaying for what I get. Also, I live in a working class/middle class blended community and my child gets a wonderful education.
I don't know what else to tell you, we pay the property tax rate I posted. When you look outside the NY metro especially away from the northeast salaries for teachers drop significantly. Our schools are none union and we are a right to work state. If you want DM me and I can provide links to for our taxes and schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Interesting you should say that. I thought the ex-pat war cry was that people make as much or more in other areas of the U.S. so people in the tri-state area are actually stupid for staying here.

Are there actually any $60K teachers by you?
Here the pay scale for our teachers, my county is next to Mikes http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/Pdf/Hum...sationPlan.pdf . Our war cry is actually "can you pick me up some bagels and challah on the way down"....

Old 05-22-2014, 07:41 PM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Here the pay scale for our teachers, my county is next to Mikes http://www.henrico.k12.va.us/Pdf/Hum...sationPlan.pdf . Our war cry is actually "can you pick me up some bagels and challah on the way down"....
It seems like your teachers are relatively well paid compared to other workers- and some make well above the median household income for the county! Do people in your area complain that teachers are overpaid?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:43 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/jobs/Sa...tructional.pdf

My niece's HS is in an area somewhat similar economically to mine. Home prices range from 200K (poor people on the mainland) to well into the millions on the beach. Their teachers are living in much the same conditions we are here, are paid a fraction, and in turn have county HS's which are outperforming some LI HS. Why are we paying out the wazoo when there's proof that highly paid doesn't always equate highly effective?

Old 05-22-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
http://www.stjohns.k12.fl.us/jobs/Sa...tructional.pdf

My niece's HS is in an area somewhat similar economically to mine. Home prices range from 200K (poor people on the mainland) to well into the millions on the beach. Their teachers are living in much the same conditions we are here, are paid a fraction, and in turn have county HS's which are outperforming some LI HS. Why are we paying out the wazoo when there's proof that highly paid doesn't always equate highly effective?
I think you said it yourself- 'teachers are living in much the same conditions we are here, are paid a fraction'. Well- to have that be possible, teachers in a higher cost of living area would have to be paid considerably more, no? You can't compare teacher's salaries in wildly different COL areas- what you have to do is compare teachers' salaries to the salaries of other professions in the same area.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
It seems like your teachers are relatively well paid compared to other workers- and some make well above the median household income for the county! Do people in your area complain that teachers are overpaid?
No I don't hear complaints and I work for a school district (none teacher). The compensation seem adequate and for a 20 something coming out of college they can afford to live, pay their loans if applicable and start their careers. Those that don't like the compensation in the long haul move on to other careers. There are always others waiting to take their place and many choose to make their careers as teachers, same as every location.

Overall I feel my tax dollars are well spent and far lower than I have paid in other locations.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
No I don't hear complaints and I work for a school district (none teacher). The compensation seem adequate and for a 20 something coming out of college they can afford to live, pay their loans if applicable and start their careers. Those that don't like the compensation in the long haul move on to other careers. There are always others waiting to take their place and many choose to make their careers as teachers, same as every location.

Overall I feel my tax dollars are spent and far lower than I have paid in other locations.
Just curious- what professions do they move on to if they want to make more money?

Old 05-22-2014, 09:44 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I think you said it yourself- 'teachers are living in much the same conditions we are here, are paid a fraction'. Well- to have that be possible, teachers in a higher cost of living area would have to be paid considerably more, no? You can't compare teacher's salaries in wildly different COL areas- what you have to do is compare teachers' salaries to the salaries of other professions in the same area.
The costs aren't "wildly different" when comparing 11733 & 11790 in 3 Village with Ponte Vedra Beach in St John's County Public schools. Housing is on the high side, food prices are comparable. They do have much cheaper electric and don't use heating oil. The only thing that's "wildy different" is there is no union stranglehold on the taxpayers like the northern counterpart has.

So please tell me: how is it that these St John's County schools pay their teachers half of what they're paid in NY, yet they manage to produce results surpassing Plainview-Old Bethpage and many other districts {3V included)?

Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Not according to the ex-pats on this board when it comes to the "recommended" alternative areas for LI like NC and VA. They tell stories about how they (ClarkStreetKid, Prudhazy, MikeyKid, etc.) or their wives (BigMike50, etc.) make more money than they ever did on LI and make more money than is currently average for LI. They're always trying to bang it into our heads that their pet areas have better pay than "old and done" LI does! So do you really think you're correct in the bolded statement and I should assume they are just liars?
Easy now - I wouldn't put me in bigmike bragging territory... good luck going back and finding posts from me about the size of my johns---... <er> house or paycheck. You won't. I also didn't come into this thread to hype my particular area.

I joined this discussion because of the fallacy of perception that continues unchecked. That LI is a state. That all LI schools are great. That there is value left in the CoL for starting a family now. I replied to that last particular post because that person is your problem - a person who seems to honestly think they need to pay as much as they do in taxes. These people are the ones passing the budgets because they think they need to pay that much to get public schools and cops. Oh, the little snowflakes in Farmingdale need the money to get edumacated. Meanwhile costs are escalating unchecked and they don't even know why.

... so let's be frank and honest about the "old and done" 51st state that is LI. The paradigm continues to shift away from expensive commercial office space that puts everyone in cubicle farms. Technology makes remote folks more effective every day for countless private sector jobs and that is not going to reverse any time soon - it will just escalate. LI is self devouring itself on a civil workforce that takes the retirement package and gets out of dodge. This is not a long term winning strategy, completely unsustainable, and I know you agree with that.

Old 05-23-2014, 06:12 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Easy now - I wouldn't put me in bigmike bragging territory... good luck going back and finding posts from me about the size of my johns---... <er> house or paycheck. You won't. I also didn't come into this thread to hype my particular area.
Why do you empower her delusional posts with a reply? Her reading comprehensions skills are highly questionable...acts on emotions which doesn't help!

Now that everyone has drag my name into this......

She's was talking about my wife .....Like I said years ago ( everyone always remembers my posts) my wife in her field makes good money even more so then her counter parts up in NY but there is also a reason. My wife started of course in basically an entry level position in her field but came with 25 years of experience... She saw that things where being done half-assed backwards and suggested policy change to streamline and cut costs. In time her supervisors opened up to her suggestions and they all saw the results.

Being a minority and a female has helped( upper management were basically all of one color) but also the NY work ethic she brought down with her also help her advance very quickly. So with costs going down 30% and net income going up 400% and the rate she was getting new accounts were sky rocketing, they offered a lot to stay and run a Dept. The salary increase,car,computer,paid training, expense account, travel, phone and a three day weekend(every weekend) has helped both her and the family.. We're all proud! Just this week she was honored(company dinner) not only for her 5 years but for what she has accomplished in her short time there.

You can't find individual success story when comparing cities on C-D. And would this have happened anywhere else? It might have or it might not of? Your results may vary

As far as I go...I'll make the same no matter where I live( as long as I live on planet Earth) Yes I have a big house but the most important things is I can afford it and I don't complain about taxes,unions,teaches,civil servants,weather,traffic,neighbors,NIBYS,buses,LIR R,COL,snow,budgets,retirement, infrastructure etc,etc. Things have worked out well for me and the family....if you want to knock it, feel free go ahead...it's not going to change anything on my end and yours either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island