Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 10:37 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Because when you aren't shoveling money into the unions and legacy pensions, income/property/sales tax can go a long way. In my Pennsylvania school district the average teacher earns $47,000 per year, while in Suffolk County the average teacher earns over $90,000 per year. Why should the Suffolk County teacher earn 2x as much as their Pennsylvania counterpart, when the average SAT/ACT in my PA school district out performs that of many Suffolk County districts? Higher taxes also have the unintended consequence of scaring those away who actually do pay taxes. On my block, half the people are senior citizens. They aren't being driven out to Florida or Arizona. When senior citizens move out, who do you think moves in? Drive around such places as downtown Hicksville and find out. Now, sit back and think back to yourself what that does to tax base. Medicaid/3 families to a house.
I understand the reasons why the taxes are lower in some places- that's not what the OP was talking about. What I'm curious is how much does it cost your state to educate each student vs how much does the average household pay in property taxes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2014, 10:39 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
No such thing. Educate yourself. No baby born in the US to illegal immigrant parents can provide (i) a right of residency, (ii) a right of permanent residency or (iii) citizenship to their illegal immigrant parents. Its a made up term that means nothing. While the baby himself is a US citizen, there is no anchoring, period.

Don't get me wrong, I think "undocumented immigrants" is also a misleading term. Its like going to some quack and saying "Yes yea he didn't go to medical school, no degree certificate - but its ok he's just an undocumented doctor"
But they do let the illegal parent(s) stay here as caretaker(s) of the new little US citizen and collect all TANF benefits from soup to nuts, so many are getting better benefits and services out of our tax money than us worker bee people who actually have residency, permanent residency or citizenship. I think the loophole in the law for this used to be under the term PRUCOL (Permanent Residence Under Color of Law). Read up on it:

Prucol - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Permanent Residence Under Color of Law (PRUCOL) is not recognized as an immigration status by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS); this category was created by the courts and is a public benefits eligibility category. For a person to be residing "under color of law," the USCIS must know of the person’s presence in the U.S., and must provide the person with written assurance that enforcement of deportation is not planned. A person residing under PRUCOL status cannot directly apply for U.S. citizenship or sponsor family members to obtain U.S. Citizenship. A person from any country, who resides in the United States without current legal immigration status including, but not limited to, citizenship, permanent residency, unexpired immigrant visa, is an undocumented person. Though they are not U.S. citizens, they are considered to have the same rights as legal residents ‘for welfare eligibility purposes’.

Sometimes the derogatory term "anchor baby" is wrongly used to describe a child under PRUCOL status. The confusion stems from the fact that, because children born in the U.S. of one or two undocumented parents are U.S. citizens; once they become adults they may petition for their parents to gain legal status but if the family member entered the US without a visa, a return to and wait in the country of origin is mandatory. The person under PRUCOL status is the parent, not the baby.
You don't consider that anchoring?

Do you think they're crying a river because they're not permanent "residents or citizens?" Hell no, they're laughing all the way to the bank since they have full "welfare eligibility purposes."

What do you think, the US deports the momma (and daddy if applicable) immediately after the little newborn citizen is born and puts the child in foster care to be raised? Nooooooo.

I think the way to solve this mess is to take DNA from the illegal alien offspring and then deport them and their parent(s) and tell the former anchor baby that it can come back to the USA at age 21 and claim US citizenship if so desired.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-16-2014 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 10:46 AM

791 posts, read 1,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
But they do let the illegal parent(s) stay here as caretaker(s) of the new little US citizen and collect all TANF benefits from soup to nuts, so many are getting better benefits and services out of our tax money than us worker bee people who actually have residency, permanent residency or citizenship. I think the loophole in the law for this used to be under the term PRUCOL (Permanent Residence Under Color of Law). Read up on it.

What do you think, the US deports the momma (and daddy if applicable) immediately after the little newborn citizen is born and puts the child in foster care to be raised? Nooooooo.

I think the way to solve this mess is to take DNA from the illegal alien offspring and then deport them and their parent(s) and tell the former anchor baby that it can come back to the USA at age 21 and claim US citizenship if so desired.
You're completely incorrect here. Parents of U.S. citizens actually are deported, all the time. The kid either goes with the parent back to the parent's home country, or goes to the custody of a family member with legal permission to be in the US. You are correct that the kid generally isn't placed in foster care, but mom and/or dad most certainly aren't allowed to use the baby as leverage to get to stay here if they're otherwise deportable.

Read here: Undocumented parents are deported while their children struggle - CNN.com
And here: Deportations of parents can cast the lives of U.S.-citizen kids into turmoil - The Washington Post
And here: Nearly 205K Deportations of Parents of U.S. Citizens in Just Over Two Years - COLORLINES

Turn off the Rush Limbaugh and try reading once in a while.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:49 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeygorilla View Post
I understand the reasons why the taxes are lower in some places- that's not what the OP was talking about. What I'm curious is how much does it cost your state to educate each student vs how much does the average household pay in property taxes?
In my old Long Island school district, it was about $15,600 per pupil per year. Here, it is $10,200 per pupil per year. I need to research what the average property taxes paid per year were, but I imagine they are less here as the houses are much cheaper and aren't as artificially inflated and propped up as they are on Long Island.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:53 AM

Interesting...since North Carolina has been mentioned here as having superior schools to Long Island, a quick google search shows that the schools are actually severely underfunded.

EDUCATION POLICY POINTS: North Carolina's Public School Funding System: Underfunded, Unclear, and Unfair | NC Justice Center

From other articles, it seems as though the situation has actually gotten worse since that article was written.

Sorry, I just don't buy it that NC's schools are even on a level with LI, much less superior.

Old 05-16-2014, 10:54 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfoSeeker52 View Post
You're completely incorrect here. Parents of U.S. citizens actually are deported, all the time. The kid either goes with the parent back to the parent's home country, or goes to the custody of a family member with legal permission to be in the US. You are correct that the kid generally isn't placed in foster care, but mom and/or dad most certainly aren't allowed to use the baby as leverage to get to stay here if they're otherwise deportable.

Read here: Undocumented parents are deported while their children struggle - CNN.com
And here: Deportations of parents can cast the lives of U.S.-citizen kids into turmoil - The Washington Post
And here: Nearly 205K Deportations of Parents of U.S. Citizens in Just Over Two Years - COLORLINES

Turn off the Rush Limbaugh and try reading once in a while.
Read the rest of my post instead of conveniently ignoring the facts and cites you don't like.

None of these parents are getting deported BECAUSE THEY ARE HERE WITH THEIR ANCHOR BABIES. They have a pass on that. The only time that starts to happen on its own is when the baby becomes a legal adult and there is no need for a PRUCOL caretaker, and even then a minority are actually deported anyway. They are getting deported BECAUSE THEY COMMITTED CRIMES or did something else to trigger Homeland Security. The ones who don't get into trouble don't get deported just because they are here with their anchor babies and cost us billions in taxpayer dollars.

PS: I hate Rush Limbaugh!

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 05-16-2014 at 11:02 AM..

Old 05-16-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
In my old Long Island school district, it was about $15,600 per pupil per year. Here, it is $10,200 per pupil per year. I need to research what the average property taxes paid per year were, but I imagine they are less here as the houses are much cheaper and aren't as artificially inflated and propped up as they are on Long Island.
I don't see how LI house prices are 'artificially inflated'- they are high because of demand, which is a very really thing, no? LI will always be in demand because of it's proximity to NYC. Or do you think house prices in NYC/Westchester/NJ/CT are also artificially inflated?

So state spending per pupil in your state is about 2/3 what it is on LI. I would bet that the average taxes are less than 2/3 of what they are on LI. Please let me know if you find out the actual number!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Interesting...since North Carolina has been mentioned here as having superior schools to Long Island, a quick google search shows that the schools are actually severely underfunded.

EDUCATION POLICY POINTS: North Carolina's Public School Funding System: Underfunded, Unclear, and Unfair | NC Justice Center

From other articles, it seems as though the situation has actually gotten worse since that article was written.

Sorry, I just don't buy it that NC's schools are even on a level with LI, much less superior.
The issue for people making the decision to move though, isn't "schools" generally - yes, if you air-drop a kid into any random location on LI, you're statistically more likely to have air-dropped into a "good" school district than if you did the same thing in NC. But no one's deciding where to live by randomly air-dropping themselves into a general area and hoping for the best. The fact is, if you're a skilled professional, there's a real probability that you could relocate to NC without taking all that much of a pay cut, and could take advantage of the much-lower COL to buy your way into a much better school district than what you'd be able to afford on LI.

So, on the statewide level, do NC schools perform worse than LI schools? Probably, yes. But for someone trying to decide whether or not to relocate, you're not comparing "average" to "average" - you're comparing what you can afford in one place to what you can afford in the other. And those are likely to be drastically different options, considering how the high COL and even higher property taxes on LI significantly limit what even middle- and upper-middle class parents can afford.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Read the rest of my post instead of conveniently ignoring the facts and cites you don't like.

None of these parents are getting deported BECAUSE THEY ARE HERE WITH THEIR ANCHOR BABIES. They have a pass on that. They are getting deported BECAUSE THEY COMMITTED CRIMES or did something else to trigger Homeland Security. The ones who don't get into trouble don't get deported just because they are here with their anchor babies and cost us billions in taxpayer dollars.

PS: I hate Rush Limbaugh!
I'd love to see your factual back-up for that, since I'm not aware of any governmental policy by which anyone who ends up in deportation proceedings gets a free pass because of a kid.

Do people go overlooked and therefore un-deported, because the system is disastrously overburdened? Sure. There are lots of places where, as long as you live a relatively quiet life, you may never end up on Immigration's radar. But I've never heard of a situation where someone actually ended up in deportation proceedings and said "no, but seriously, I have a kid who is a citizen," and the Immigration judge was just like "well okay then, go forth and collect welfare, have a nice life."

ETA: And if you don't want people making assumptions about your talk radio preferences, maybe try not using language popular with hateful bigots when discussing immigration.

Old 05-16-2014, 11:10 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,725 times
Quote:
I don't see how LI house prices are 'artificially inflated'- they are high because of demand, which is a very really thing, no? LI will always be in demand because of it's proximity to NYC. Or do you think house prices in NYC/Westchester/NJ/CT are also artificially inflated?

So state spending per pupil in your state is about 2/3 what it is on LI. I would bet that the average taxes are less than 2/3 of what they are on LI. Please let me know if you find out the actual number!
They are artificially inflated because of the fed or QE (whatever number we are on). Basically, that was a bail out of the finance industry, but as the QE bubble deflates, finance will continue to whither on the vine and continue its slow decline. The 2000's were an anomaly where finance and Manhattan jobs made up a greater percentage of GDP. That bubble has been on a slow decline and the big banks are already moving middle management jobs out of Manhattan and moving them to lower cost locales. What private sector jobs are going to be leftover to fund all the entitlements and unfunded pension liabilities? If Long Island housing values weren't artifically propped up, the whole house of cards would tumble down in that area.

State spending per pupil is 2/3rd less here, but also don't forget that teachers and administrators are making half as much, so students are benefiting more. The state is also able to help out with greater block funding through income and sales tax because they aren't being gouged by illegals and welfare types collecting TARP and Medicaid payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island