Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 05:49 AM

519 posts, read 597,372 times

Advertisements

^ Barrier island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of Long Island is not ocean front...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 06:17 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsAll View Post
So, for instance, if choosing to live on Long Island at all (instead of going further inland to the west or north from Long Island), instead of living in oceanfront communities such as Long Beach or Babylon Village or South Amityville or Patchogue or Riverhead (all fronting the Atlantic Ocean) or even in one of the Long Island Sound-fronted communities (remember that Long Island Sound is not an enclosed lake like the Great Lakes but rather an inland extension or inlet of the Atlantic Ocean itself), I would instead choose to live closer to the center median strip of Long Island such as in communities like Melville, Farmingdale, Commack, East Northport, Garden City, Mineola, East Meadow, Westbury, Hicksville, and so on. In other words, it is that much lesser chance that ocean levels rising or even tsunamis going further inland beyond the beach communities will flood the center strip of the island.
Another benefit of living closer to the center is getting on the main arteries quicker. Having to drive 15+ minutes just to find the entrance to a highway so you can head out east or west is not for me.

The island is only 6 miles north to south I believe. Getting to the beaches from the center of the island even once a week is still a breeze.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:37 AM

519 posts, read 597,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Another benefit of living closer to the center is getting on the main arteries quicker. Having to drive 15+ minutes just to find the entrance to a highway so you can head out east or west is not for me.

The island is only 6 miles north to south I believe. Getting to the beaches from the center of the island even once a week is still a breeze.
closer to 20 miles

living closer to the ocean has its benefits. You're closer to the beach and the bay. within walking/biking distance. It's cooler in the summer. you don't get that nice ocean breeze if you're too far north of sunrise.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:22 AM

31 posts, read 48,406 times
After NY Rising assists me with raising my house 4-6 feet, I dont think there will be an issue with sea level with my house for a few hundred years; I'll be above the 500 year floodplain. Many of my neighbors are considering the same thing.

Cheers!

Old 05-21-2014, 08:48 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:

From Oct-jun it may be a breeze but, summer months unless you leave early its not so breezy. I agree though if you go once a week it doesnt really matter. Most people that live in these communities do so because of the quick access, especially boaters.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:50 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
closer to 20 miles

living closer to the ocean has its benefits. You're closer to the beach and the bay. within walking/biking distance. It's cooler in the summer. you don't get that nice ocean breeze if you're too far north of sunrise.
Don't forget much less snow/ice/cold.

Old 05-21-2014, 08:54 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
closer to 20 miles
oh yeah it was just my distance to the coast as quoted by my insurer. We're nearly center.

Old 05-21-2014, 02:26 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:
^ Barrier island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of Long Island is not ocean front...
All the waters surrounding Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) on all sides are Atlantic Ocean-originated, including Long Island Sound (which is an inland extension or inlet of the Atlantic Ocean with a wide-enough opening to the Atlantic Ocean on its eastern end). I'm not sure that all of the rather narrow "barriers" that Long Island has along its south shore would serve as an altogether effective protective "barrier" to tsunamis or rising ocean levels of consequence, though some of them have a lbay to the north of them with a larger north-to south dimension between the barrier island and the south shore mainland which might mitigate the damage or destruction to some degree. After all, these barriers appear to be rather slender or thin in their north-to-south dimension and a powerful tsunami would very likely wash over the entirety of the barrier islands and possibly move further on onto the Long Island mainland. I am surmising that, if we asked geophysical and climatological scientists, they would likely concur with this speculation put forth by myself.

Last edited by UsAll; 05-21-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 02:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:

What are you talking about? Rocky Point is right on the water, and according to expert sources (residents of RP) it only takes 10 minutes to get to the LIE from there!

Old 05-21-2014, 02:41 PM

2,625 posts, read 3,411,439 times
Quote:

Quote:
closer to 20 miles

According to Google Maps-derived measurements of north-to-south dimensions on Long Island (from Long Island Sound to the south shore), it is from ~16 miles at its narrowest dimension to ~25 miles at its widest dimension from north to south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island