Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:00 AM

730 posts, read 1,301,314 times

Advertisements

Call me cynical, but IMHO until the percentage of retirees and childless/grown children households in a district is higher than the percentage of households with child(ren) in or about to enter the school system, the budgets will continue to be passed.

In their hearts, people know this; hence the low turnout: "Why should I bother voting? The soccer moms outnumber people like me by at least 5 to 1, probably more, and so voting No is just an exercise in futility. It won't change the outcome."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,874,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
Call me cynical, but IMHO until the percentage of retirees and childless/grown children households in a district is higher than the percentage of households with child(ren) in or about to enter the school system, the budgets will continue to be passed.

In their hearts, people know this; hence the low turnout: "Why should I bother voting? The soccer moms outnumber people like me by at least 5 to 1, probably more, and so voting No is just an exercise in futility. It won't change the outcome."
Actually according to census, seniors have the advantage in numbers in Nassau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/...xhtml?src=bkmk

2012 both sexes:
age 50-85+: 503k (age 50 usually means kids are starting college)
age 25-49: 423k

Same seems to hold true for Suffolk. You can see how "seniors" will have more age brackets covered. I'd bet some still vote yes because of their grandchildren.

Last edited by ovi8; 05-22-2014 at 11:45 AM..

Old 05-22-2014, 11:34 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Our district's budget passed by 72%. There were no other voters in the gym when I cast my vote at 2:15; one man walked in as I walked out.

On a local mothers FB page, a number of the women applauding the budget being passed were employed by a LI school district in some professional capacity. I can confidently aver that these mothers: teachers, social workers, guidance counselors, etc., all voted.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:47 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,404,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Our district's budget passed by 72%. There were no other voters in the gym when I cast my vote at 2:15; one man walked in as I walked out.

On a local mothers FB page, a number of the women applauding the budget being passed were employed by a LI school district in some professional capacity. I can confidently aver that these mothers: teachers, social workers, guidance counselors, etc., all voted.
Unfortunately, most majority of voters are working in the school district. Im amazed that eveyone doesnt vote. Its a shame. Its like leaving your savings out in the street for all to take. I really dont get it.

Old 05-22-2014, 01:09 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
When I voted in my district it was 8:30 PM. Most of the pages in the voter's record were blank of signatures. For some crazy reason, very few seem to vote.

I would imagine it's required voting of teacher's union members, administrators and probably others sympathetic to scam.
You "moved back" from Utah (again!) already or are you talking about your voting experience in Utah?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:37 PM

429 posts, read 852,664 times
I don't understand something that seems to be a common theme on this thread. Where are there teachers on LI making "close to 6 figures"? Also, what do you suggest we pay our teachers? They have to live on LI, too.

I'm not a teacher and I'm not saying there isn't a budget issue, but people who complain that teachers make too much money - I don't get it. If they live here on LI like the rest of us, how much should we pay them? They're not living in mansions on their teachers' salaries, are they?

Old 05-22-2014, 01:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csteen85 View Post
I don't understand something that seems to be a common theme on this thread. Where are there teachers on LI making "close to 6 figures"? Also, what do you suggest we pay our teachers? They have to live on LI, too.

I'm not a teacher and I'm not saying there isn't a budget issue, but people who complain that teachers make too much money - I don't get it. If they live here on LI like the rest of us, how much should we pay them? They're not living in mansions on their teachers' salaries, are they?
Everywhere on Long Island in all the school districts. Do you have children? Go to seethroughny.net and look up your children's teachers' salaries and see for yourself what's going on.

An actual mansion is an exaggeration as they cost in the millions here, but if it's two teachers married or a teacher and a LI cop married, they can and do afford upper middle class/expensive homes in Garden City, Rockville Centre, etc. For example, the NCPD officer who was caught stealing baby food from a supermarket was just a "regular" officer, no higher rank and he lives in Garden City. There are LI public school teacher couples living there also.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,754,804 times
Quote:

you're kidding right?

Old 05-22-2014, 02:14 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,662,232 times
Quote:

Once again, it is not only the salary. It is the contractually agreed upon 6-7 hours per day, the 180 day year, the pension, the lifetime health benefits, etc ...

Most importantly it is the absence of any market-based compensation discovery and the complete disregard for the taxpayer.

One thing I love about teachers, I have two in my family, is their hypocrisy - they don't want the government suggesting curriculum modifications (Common Core) but they sure as hell love having the government protect their union contracts.

Old 05-22-2014, 02:27 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
One thing I love about teachers, I have two in my family, is their hypocrisy - they don't want the government suggesting curriculum modifications (Common Core) but they sure as hell love having the government protect their union contracts.
Are you saying that teachers love some of what the government does and dislike some of what the government does?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island