Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

bigger administration isn't always better....NYC school system is massive yet its too big...also I think its a mess

the "upper management" added up is small in terms of % of the total operating budget. As noted, its the teacher's salary & pension is crushing the homeowner's school tax bill.

many of the homeowners I notice seem to pass the school budget year after year. I conclude residents throw as much money as possible to the system. Personally, what I dislike the most more than anything is the nepotism & buddy system within the LI hiring of public employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM

149 posts, read 317,369 times
People bought their homes and made their investments based in large part due to school district. I think the uproar that would result from such a measure would be a hot potato no politicial would dare handle.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
Personally, what I dislike the most more than anything is the nepotism & buddy system within the LI hiring of public employees.
At the voting booths too. There are a LOT of teachers within our communities. If not LI then teachers who work in NYC. Ultimately they support their kind at everyone's expense. This is not to say their vote counts more than others' but they obviously vote yes.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:57 AM

883 posts, read 3,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
People bought their homes and made their investments based in large part due to school district. I think the uproar that would result from such a measure would be a hot potato no politicial would dare handle.
Yeah, no way merging districts would ever happen on LI. It would have no benefit to those who have chosen to live in top districts- these are people who paid a lot for their houses & would rather be in a top district than to save a bit on taxes.

I personally spent a very long time finding the right district for my family- and I'm very happy that I had the choice of at least a dozen great districts, all with their own strengths & weaknesses. I like having choices.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:19 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,479,708 times
Short of an executive order from the governor ordering centralisation due to a fiscal crisis, it's not going to happen. I dream of the day such an order comes down, hopefully concurrent with a mandate for the abolition of the incorporated village.

The fairest way to organise is ultimately to go with 1 school district for the county.

But we've organised ourselves on the basis creating our little cordon sanitaire against other racial/socio-economic groups.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
At the voting booths too. There are a LOT of teachers within our communities. If not LI then teachers who work in NYC. Ultimately they support their kind at everyone's expense. This is not to say their vote counts more than others' but they obviously vote yes.
but if those teachers live in your district & approves the school budget...then they also pay more too. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:06 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,255,436 times
North worth the hassle. The main problem is that most senior teachers are grossly overpaid (the exceptions are the senior teachers that are adored by the kids and remain passionate about teaching). Administrative savings are a drop in the bucket.

Long term, the way to solve this problem is to stop the madness of giving every teacher a raise. Once you hit 100K, that's it, because that's 100K for a part-time job with a life-time pension and health benefits.

The teachers' union has steamrolled the local school boards. And that is a shame.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
but if those teachers live in your district & approves the school budget...then they also pay more too. Correct me if I am wrong.
They pay the same but wind up with some of it back in return. It behooves them to vote yes, rather than risk voting no and subjecting themselves to whatever cuts might loom as a result.

Old 05-27-2014, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They pay the same but wind up with some of it back in return. It behooves them to vote yes, rather than risk voting no and subjecting themselves to whatever cuts might loom as a result.
As noted, the voters overall rarely ever vote no in my experience. I feel LI residents in general love to throw money at the system without question. I feel there are diminishing returns of student performance once salaries get THAT high.

I know I maybe flamed for this. Also the budget for special needs students are really out of control. SD in general are obsessed with testing kids & catering to every little issues with ever ballooning budgets. I remember reading how special needs students easily cost 100k plus per child....sometimes far far more. I heard as high as 150k per child. All this is very burdensome for the school budget.

Old 05-27-2014, 01:50 PM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:
As noted, the voters overall rarely ever vote no in my experience. I feel LI residents in general love to throw money at the system without question.
/thread

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island