Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2014, 09:12 PM

30 posts, read 44,762 times

Advertisements

Is this a safe area for young children with a good school? How is the travel to the train station and parking? Any downsides? I would love advice on PW areas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2014, 12:47 AM

166 posts, read 532,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allnotes2 View Post
Is this a safe area for young children with a good school? How is the travel to the train station and parking? Any downsides? I would love advice on PW areas!
When you mean safe.. you mean you are worried if kids get hit by cars? If so, then I think it's as safe as any other street in the suburbs since its not a cut through street... although Port Washington BLVD is a major street that most families might want to avoid. A few streets away, and I think you are golden. If you meant if your worried if there are drug dealers at nights at the parks like at Washington Sq Park or Thompkin Sq Park of Manhattan when I was growing up as a kid? Then, no.. you won't need to worry about those types of safety issues in most good towns across Long Island. Children safety has very different meanings depending on where you are currently living, so I wasn't sure.

School wise. If you are concerned about if Port Washington School District is the best? Then no, it is not, but I would put it in the lower top ten in Long Island (based on SAT scores alone.) If you have a different criteria of what is good, then let me know. Elementary School? You are zoned for Guggenheim (see attendance map link below.) Out of the 5 elementary schools, it isn't the most desired ones (Sousa and Salem tend to be more desired... strictly because most of the homes it's zoned for are in the upper price brackets... so I am sure there is some correlation to why the scores a little different) Some parents care (tiger moms/dads out there), but its a wash up since they all feed into the same middle and high school (located next to each other.)

Attendance map:
Elementary Attendance Zones / Overview

You will need a car to get to the Port Washington station. People complain about crowded parking, but in all honesty, it's far superior then most other stations that have terrible parking situations with a fast commute (like great neck, manhasset, and plandome.) At least you will find parking, just not smack next to the train... you may need to park a block away. See link below.

Parking map:
http://web.mta.info/lirr/images/stat...washington.pdf

Downsides to living way up Port... is that it is way up north... you will going down south almost entirely... It's a matter of how far away you want to be from the heart of long island. Most like to be closer in (unlike some people like me.) Thus why the homes in that area are about 25-50% less then the more desirable areas (where most people upgrade into): Flower Hill, Port Washington Estate/Heights, Baxter Estates, Beacon Hill / Monfort Hills... Sands Point is for the ultra rich. See link below for RE market trends for each area:

Dnaiel Gale Port Washington Market Report:
http://www.danielgale.com/briefcase/Market_Reports/Port%20Washington.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island