Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
A student journalist at SBU wrote an article about students self-segregating on campus. As you've written, and what the young writer came to learn, was that humans like to be around their own kind. No amount of social engineering can change that.
Yikes, now i'm really glad I didn't go to SBU! lol, i'm a graduate of both SUNY-Buffalo and SCCC-Grant Campus.

Both were very diverse and I didn't see that much self-segregation. Well, of course a large amt of the groups you saw on campus happened to be same-race but there were still a high percentage of mixed groups. The only groups who mostly self-segregated were international South Asian students and to a somewhat lesser extent; international East Asian students.

It was common to see mixed groups all throughout campus (eating together, partying&shopping together off-campus, lifting weights together, studying together, chillin, etc); you would never even bat an eye.

I'm black and I had tons of white, east asian, arab and bangladeshi friends; more friends of other races than I had of my own race. I really wish you all can see my Facebook page, if you can then you would see my friends of all different backgrounds. Us partying, at food places, pics in the dorm, at the mall, school events, just enjoying life, etc... At no point did I observe any kind of tension on campus whatsoever (though I experienced a couple of issues when heavy alcohol was involved).

With SCCC: I still had a diverse amt of friends and saw mixed groups all throughout campus. This could partially be b/c all of the school districts around this school (except 1) were diverse so I guess ppl had their old HS friends. On another note, yeah the social life at usually CC's suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Anyone who's been to college (or jail, for that matter) can tell you that. There's actually research showing that increased diversity in a population increases distrust and tension.
Don't get me wrong!!! I do agree that most people in general tend to prefer to live in areas with their group majority represented. And many people subconsciously express preference for ppl of their own ethnicity (such as in hiring, dating and political topics): that is undeniable.

But however, I really can't identify with that behavior in colleges/universities. If you guys don't mind me asking, what decade&region did you guys go to college in?

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 06-11-2014 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2014, 07:27 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Yikes, now i'm really glad I didn't go to SBU! lol, i'm a graduate of both SUNY-Buffalo and SCCC-Grant Campus.

Both were very diverse and I didn't see that much self-segregation. Well, of course a large amt of the groups you saw on campus happened to be same-race but there were still a high percentage of mixed groups. The only groups who mostly self-segregated were international South Asian students and to a somewhat lesser extent; international East Asian students.

It was common to see mixed groups all throughout campus (eating together, partying&shopping together off-campus, lifting weights together, studying together, chillin, etc); you would never even bat an eye.

I'm black and I had tons of white, east asian, arab and bangladeshi friends; more friends of other races than I had of my own race. I really wish you all can see my Facebook page, if you can then you would see my friends of all different backgrounds. Us partying, at food places, pics in the dorm, at the mall, school events, just enjoying life, etc... At no point did I observe any kind of tension on campus whatsoever (though I experienced a couple of issues when heavy alcohol was involved).

With SCCC: I still had a diverse amt of friends and saw mixed groups all throughout campus. This could partially be b/c all of the school districts around this school (except 1) were diverse so I guess ppl had their old HS friends. On another note, yeah the social life at usually CC's suck.

Don't get me wrong!!! I do agree that most people in general tend to prefer to live in areas with their group majority represented. And many people subconsciously express preference for ppl of their own ethnicity (such as in hiring, dating and political topics): that is undeniable.

But however, I really can't identify with that behavior in colleges/universities. If you guys don't mind me asking, what decade&region did you guys go to college in?
I agree. I work at a college in the city and the younger generation are a lot less segregated than some people make it out to be. Long Island/ LI parents may instill these values in some.

Old 06-11-2014, 09:53 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post

You're jumping to conclusions re: SBU
I've placed what you've written in bold as that was what the student journalist observed and what people he interviewed spoke of. The article was written about 10 years ago.

I was an Albany and then an SBU student in the early 1980s and a returning adult in the late 1990s. My observation (between those periods) was SBU made an effort to increase minority students in that span. Students in the later grouping (1 generation younger) were more likely to have mixed clusters than the earlier group. As a young student, I started at SUNY Albany and I came from an almost 100% white suburban school, I was seeking out peers who were similar -- as were my black classmates who were from urban districts. Culturally, we were different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island