Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2014, 10:41 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,710,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbathedog View Post
I forget where I read the survey (either marketwatch or businessinsider.com) but New York was on the list of 10 most expensive places to live (no kidding). It was #2, right behind Hawaii. They made the point the salaries are somewhat higher than the nation average, but the cost of living is so HIGH, the salary differential was not great enough to make a dent.

To clarify, by New York, they were referring to metro NY, including NYC, LI, parts of NJ and Westchester. As they say, escape while you still can.
Two years of posting the same drivel-- have you left?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 11:12 PM

622 posts, read 847,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
No less than the two years of your drivel. Hope you've left.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:21 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,754,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
Yeah, I'm out. Same Long Island, same drivel.

I come back to visit family periodically. With each visit, it seems nothing really improves, it only decays.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowmylawn View Post
No less than the two years of your drivel. Hope you've left.
Unlike many of the posters here who endlessly complain but do nothing about it, I decided to better my life and move to a city I've dreamed of moving to since high school.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:

I come back to visit family periodically. With each visit, it seems nothing really improves, it only decays.
Well best of luck on your move.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 PM

852 posts, read 962,791 times
Quote:
....With each visit, it seems nothing really improves, it only decays.
If I were to sum-up my observations of the place, after 39 years in NY.....that would be it!

Funny- I was away for a year once, and came back- and it was pure culture shock- I was ready to turn right around and leave immediately. Now I've been away for 13 years. Could you imagine what it would look like to me now?! (Between being used to a sane life 1000 miles away; and having had 13 years to decay even further!)

Old 07-08-2014, 06:36 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,268,562 times
Everyone is free to dislike it here and that's fine but there are a lot of places that have nothing close to what we have here. I love that the beach is 10min away, mall is 15mins, restaurants & bars I enjoy are in walking distance. I spent a lil time upstate and in NC and to get to a beach or mall was a like an hour drive. I love the abundance of everything in close proximity and I'm willing to pay more for it.

Of course the bigger factor is that all my family is here.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:35 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,182,361 times
Quote:

Still pretending that you moved? LMAO!

Let's see, supposedly he moved to Salt Lake City before 8/2013 as per these posts:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post30774061

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
He moved to SLC. now we are supposed to be jealous...

Very good! Frankly I don't care whether you're jealous or not. In fact, I'd prefer fewer people move here. It's called the draw bridge principle
//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post32693147
Quote:
I live on the other side of Wasatch, at about 5400 ft above sea level. No inversions there.
But, hilariously, he "slips" time and time again and admits living on LI. Here's just one example -- this post about school budget voting made in 5/2014:

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l#post34904089
Quote:
When I voted in my district it was 8:30 PM. Most of the pages in the voter's record were blank of signatures. For some crazy reason, very few seem to vote.

I would imagine it's required voting of teacher's union members, administrators and probably others sympathetic to scam.
The truth? He once lived in SLC for a very short time, a couple of decades ago:

//www.city-data.com/forum/salt-...l#post25582004

Quote:
I lived in Utah for 2 years in the late 90's, moving back to NY in time for the .com boom. All I can say is my two year stay was way too short.
What is up with the tall tales, pal? Don't we have enough trolling on here already?

Old 07-09-2014, 02:59 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,855,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Everyone is free to dislike it here and that's fine but there are a lot of places that have nothing close to what we have here. I love that the beach is 10min away, mall is 15mins, restaurants & bars I enjoy are in walking distance. I spent a lil time upstate and in NC and to get to a beach or mall was a like an hour drive. I love the abundance of everything in close proximity and I'm willing to pay more for it.

My wife and kids moved upstate (suburban Buffalo) last week. She found a job immediately, paying the same wage as in LI! Much less traffic, aggrevation and our town beach right on Lake Erie is 5 minutes from where our new home will be. Mall-5 minutes away, Wegmans-5 minutes away, Bills Stadium-5 minutes away, Downtown/Elmwood Village cultural district 15 minutes away, skiing 30 minutes away. Cost of home -1/3 of the cost as my home in Nassau County, twice the size and 1/2 the taxes!

I'm still down here in Long Island, waiting for my house to sell, can't wait to leave!

And by the way I love snow and I WONT let the door hit my a** on the way out! AND I don't want to hear the negative crap Long Islanders always have to say about upstate, especially about Western New York. So happy to be rid of the high cost, attitude, hot tempers, elitism and other garbage on this overcrowded sandbar!

Old 07-09-2014, 03:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,855,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

And you are single with no kids, so you don't understand the tremendous pressure that middle class parents with children are under here.

Sure, when I was single this place was a breeze but things change with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island