Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:17 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I had to register just for this post.

I graduated from West Islip HS in 2006, I still live here and I have lived here my whole life and I intend to if possible buy a house/apartment and start my own family down the road. I have traveled to many different parts of our country and West Islip is the best place I know of, I would not trade it for anywhere else in the world. I thank my mom and dad everyday for giving me this opportunity. We have an excellent school system, hard working residents, a low crime rate (that unfortunately seems to be increasing slowly). That being said there is a reason why this is the way it is, it is very obvious by looking at Long Island's crime rates, poverty rates, etc why certain areas are worse then others.

PS: I dont hate minorities, I dont want to send them off to gas chambers or anything like that so dont accuse me of being Hitler reincarnated. I just want to provide my kids (when I get married and start a family) with the same life I had when I was growing up here in West Islip. Why should my kids not be granted that wish?

PS: I never knew Kyle Bell but I did know his brother. However, this mentality of "opening up" and "desegregating" West Islip is very common among the more left leaning residents and school students here. It seems to me that Kyle Bell is very naive ....

Just like the tv show, it's a "Different World" !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 11:43 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Could the Federal Government "rezone", as you kindly put it ?

In order to change the borders of gov't public school districts, the Federal Gov't would first have to take over all the gov't public school districts.

I doubt that this would be politically doable as most, if not all, of the better school districts are dominated by Liberal Democrats, who, if they could not prevent such an event from occurring, would faster, than you could say, "Jack Robinson", change their registration from Democrat to Republican.

Old 02-26-2009, 11:58 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
In order to change the borders of gov't public school districts, the Federal Gov't would first have to take over all the gov't public school districts.

I doubt that this would be politically doable as most, if not all, of the better school districts are dominated by Liberal Democrats, who, if they could not prevent such an event from occurring, would faster, than you could say, "Jack Robinson", change their registration from Democrat to Republican.
You know, at the rate they have been going "down there", this first 100 days, it's like they don't remember the 2010 Congressional elections are coming up !

They are acting like drunken sailors, on shore leave !

Old 08-17-2009, 09:06 AM

17 posts, read 45,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transpl View Post
Perhaps we can learn from them. If having a 3rd world mentality dovetails in to being a succesful entrepreneur in the US, would it be such a bad thing to have bit of that rub off on our kids?

I empathize with those who had happy, homogeneous childhoods wanting their kids to have as good or better life. It's an admirable quality most parents have. I think the mistake is when equating homogeneous to happiness.

I hope my children develop the wisdom to judge people on their actions, avoid those of questionable character, and live a principaled life. I don't believe teaching a kid to fear or dislike minorities benefits anyone.
So living in filth and treating your wife and kids like crap is OK as long as it "dovetails in to being a succesful (sic) entrepreneur in the US"?

Old 08-17-2009, 10:11 AM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sizedeep View Post
So living in filth and treating your wife and kids like crap is OK as long as it "dovetails in to being a succesful (sic) entrepreneur in the US"?
Is this a non-sequitur or are you implying that entrepreneurs who are immigrants mistreat their kids and live in filth? Either way, what an absurd statement.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Is this a non-sequitur or are you implying that entrepreneurs who are immigrants mistreat their kids and live in filth? Either way, what an absurd statement.
Perhaps we can learn from them. If having a 3rd world mentality dovetails in to being a succesful entrepreneur in the US, would it be such a bad thing to have bit of that rub off on our kids?

The only absurdity here is your paraphrasing of my original statement. My post was in response to the above reply posted by transpl. If you can't grasp my point perhaps you should move on. However, if you are trying to rephrase my post to make me sound uneducated and racist you have sorely failed and I take exception to it. I didn't see you call out transpl when he asked the question "if having a 3rd world mentality dovetails.....". Did you not infer that he meant all people with 3rd world mentalities will become successful entrepreneurs? I didn't think he meant that, but if we go along with your train of thought then....

Old 08-18-2009, 07:22 AM

532 posts, read 1,269,892 times
[quote=sizedeep;10315565]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmuzik View Post

Art, sorry it took me awhile to respond and I hope I didn't come across as bigoted in my original post. The last thing I want to do is offend anybody on this board, which I have found to be most informative and generally filled with decent people. But man, I find some people that post on here a little amusing sometimes with their "pie in the sky" attitudes. I'm not trying to cause trouble with anyone here but working with a nice black guy 10 years ago doesn't make you an authority on black/ white racial relations. The point I'm making here on this board is that, unfortunately, until "black people" (en masse, and I really hate saying it like that but I don't know how else to say it without maybe coming off a little bit insensitive) can come up with a way to "destigmatize" (sic) themselves they will never gain acceptance into a middle/ upper middle class white neighborhood. It's a fact of life. And again, I don't know how to quite say this without coming off like a complete racist idiot but I'll try: The track record really does speak for itself. People, just take a look at what has occured in neighborhoods that have become black in the last 30-40 years. I'm a Nassau guy and honestly, there is no way I would raise my kids in Elmont, Uniondale, Roosevelt, ehhh maybe Baldwin I don't know though. Those towns (at least in my opinion, for me and my family, are not desirable places to live) And you know what? An intellegent black man who is concerned about raising his family in a desirable neighborhood who is posting on this board agrees with me. And I'm sorry, but any white person on this board that says something to the effect of "Ohhh I would raise my family there as long as the people I live near to are good people" are full of sh*t. OK fine, so sell me your house in Seaford and move to Uniondale. Put your money where your mouth is.
Sizedeep, I paraprhase your posts to point out the absurdity. Recognize the post you made on the West Babylon thread yesterday? I do not need to "make you sound uneducated". You do a nice job of that yourself. For future reference the enter key is on the right hand side of the keyboard, paragraphs are our friends, they help you convey your point as well as minimize the risk of a reader being injured by a wall of text falling on them.

Secondly, when you judge a persons character, personal hiegiene, or aptitude by their country of origin or the color of their skin you are a racist. At least stand up, be a man and admit your conviction rather than hide behind the "I'm not a racist but..." BS

As far as your comment "I don't know how to quite say this without coming off like a complete racist idiot"

Epic fail!

Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM

In your opinion.... which is quite sunny and liberal. Cheers and have a good weekend. Quite elitist.... And very out of touch. If my statement(s) come of as racist to you perhaps you are a bit too sensitive. I hope you had fun attacking my grammar to make yourself feel better! I'm sorry, I didn't know I was being graded in English class! Break out the red pen!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island