Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2014, 08:54 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
When we drive north, I get excited when I see signs "NY ___ miles").

I used to feel that way coming home from college.

Got over it pretty quickly once I was out of college. In fact I used to get a stressed out feeling in my stomach every time we returned from a vacation as an adult.

Now I breathe a sigh of relief every time we get onto the NJTpke. Like NYC2RDU, we wonder how we did it for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
do you know what I was told when I used to complain about high property taxes in NY? some people said "it's a shame you can't afford to live here"
Hahaha! Yeah, I used to hear that one all the time, too!

Never mind the fact that I wouldn't pay that kind of ransom to live in what is supposed to be my "own home" to anyone, no matter how much I was worth.

Think of the absurdity of our system: I live alone and provide for all of my own needs on the free-market; yet I have to pay thousands of dollars a year to live in my own home (In NY...); and yet a neighbor, with a dozen kids (actually knew of such, there!) pays no Federal income tax (the tax stops after 9 kids); gets his rent paid for; and all of his kids get a free dumbing-down...errr...I mean "education"....at our expense. Such a system is certainly much closer to Karl Marx or Joseph Stalin, than the ideas of the men who founded this country- who in-fact would be taking up arms to fight such a system if they were alive today.

Funny thing is, though, I think more NYers have "had it"; and are fed-up, and have started seeing the light, because I notice lately I don't hear the "Oh, you just can't afford to live on LI" line anymore. Now, more and more I hear "If I could sell the house for enough to pay it off, I'd be out of here, too!".

I'll tell you, when the last of the good people are gone (which is going to be very soon!) the NY metro area is going to be Detroit on a huge scale!

Believe me, once you're settled in and established where you are, in a few years you'll look back, and be very thankful that you got out while the getting was good. Very shortly, as the economy tanks further, there are going to be a lot of people on LI who will want to get out, and not be able to.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:15 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Mumbly Joe:

Same here except for Phoenix which is every two years. I had four vehicles to be inspected while I lived in New York what a hassle and rip off. Sometimes the machine would break down on the day the inspection had expired and you were SOL until it was fixed. Since the inspection stickers were dated I didn't want to bring them in the week before as you would lose days on the sticker. In other words you wouldn't get the full 365 days. It used to be that you would have a time frame of a month to get it done. New York's government is always looking for ways to screw people and make life miserable. I've got a 2500 HD and it cost a small fortune to register it because it has a GVW of 9200 lbs. Progressives don't like that so they figure out ways to make it expensive to drive them, they'd rather we drive around in "smart cars" to "save the planet". I'd rather save my life than be crushed to death in one of those things especially after a minor accident. I prefer to drive a truck as my everyday vehicle because of it's size and usefulness especially when you own a home. Let's just thank God we don't live in that terrible state and count our blessings that we are outta there.
I couldn't have said that better!

I'm the same way- I've always driven big, heavy safe vehicles. The ONE accident I had in my entire life, wouldn't you know it, I was driving a little S-10 pick-up, when someone pulled out of a stop sign right in front of me in Holtsville! I couldn't have been going more than 15MPH as I had just started out- and the little truck folded like a cheap card table. (Luckily, I walked away). I'll gladly pay for gas rather than hospital bills or undertakers! I'm not sitting in some emasculating Prius, 2 inches off the ground. (Heck, my bicycle is superior to that!)

Old 06-30-2014, 07:17 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post

I'll tell you, when the last of the good people are gone (which is going to be very soon!) the NY metro area is going to be Detroit on a huge scale!

Believe me, once you're settled in and established where you are, in a few years you'll look back, and be very thankful that you got out while the getting was good. Very shortly, as the economy tanks further, there are going to be a lot of people on LI who will want to get out, and not be able to.
I've heard the Detroit analogy many times but I don't believe that will happen to NY. Detroit's only economy were car mfg. NYC has a wide variety of industry, not just finance.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:37 AM

7,934 posts, read 9,156,295 times
IMO NYC will be fine. Wealthier people are flocking there as gentrification occurs. It is the suburbs that are in trouble. As the former residents of NYC relocate out to LI and change its demographics, people will have to decide if the neighborhood and its new onset of ESL students who lower the school results still warrant the 10K property tax bill.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:53 AM

LI's economy is in pretty big trouble. Companies keep moving out of state resulting in job loss. Private sector high paying jobs on LI are a dying breed. To get the big $, you have to spend 3 hours of your day commuting on the LIRR.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:56 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Mumbly Joe:
I went to trucking school and from the cab of an 18 wheeler those little cars look like matchbox cars that could be crushed under one wheel or wedged under the steer axle. Not that any vehicle would fare well in a collision with a semi but there's less chance of having one roll over you in a high clearance vehicle. I'm not talking about ones that are jacked up higher than stock they present their own problems regarding steering geometry and poor handling especially on winding roads.

Old 06-30-2014, 07:59 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
Quote:
I've heard the Detroit analogy many times but I don't believe that will happen to NY. Detroit's only economy were car mfg. NYC has a wide variety of industry, not just finance.
The bigger threat to NYC (and all major metropolitan work centers) is the accelerating trend of onshoring. Large companies, particularly financial ones, are relocating back office and administrative functions to cheaper parts of the country. Why pay a developer $100k in NYC when you can get an equally skilled one in Iowa for $60k?

NYC won't go bankrupt any time soon (or maybe/likely ever), but it's commercial landscape is changing at more than a gradual pace. It already isn't the same place I knew from pre-9/11 and it continues to transform. Even so, it's still far and away my favorite city to visit; there's still not another one quite like it anywhere I've traveled.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:01 AM

1,961 posts, read 2,709,514 times
As long as a Long Island neighborhood is safe and has good schools, it will always be in demand and people will pay (out the azz) to live there.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The bigger threat to NYC (and all major metropolitan work centers) is the accelerating trend of onshoring. Large companies, particularly financial ones, are relocating back office and administrative functions to cheaper parts of the country. Why pay a developer $100k in NYC when you can get an equally skilled one in Iowa for $60k?

NYC won't go bankrupt any time soon (or maybe/likely ever), but it's commercial landscape is changing at more than a gradual pace. It already isn't the same place I knew from pre-9/11 and it continues to transform. Even so, it's still far and away my favorite city to visit; there's still not another one quite like it anywhere I've traveled.
NYC is more crowded than ever. Every time I have gone there in last couple of years, it is WALL TO WALL tourists and people are just everywhere. NYC will be just fine. It's not going anywhere.

as for LI - I have mentioned this previously, it's also more crowded than ever. Traffic is just a nightmare - all the time. Unless you're out in Suffolk. I lived the last 14 yrs in Suffolk and would visit my folks on weekends in Nassau. There is such a huge disparity between the 2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island