Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2014, 06:41 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warren zee View Post
I'll never understand how so many Long Islanders think they will find happiness in the south.

Other than a winter home in FL, which we are thinking about; I'd never move there.

Here's why -

1. they don't like us.

Not true at all, but if people from LI try to go down there and impose the NY way of life on everyone then yeah there may be issues, and rightly so! Lived 12 years in FL and encountered some of the nicest people I've ever met

2. monolithic politics

Compared to Long Island??! You're joking right??

3. monolithic religion

So there are more churches big deal. I don't understand why people get so wound up about this. We have freedom of religion in this country not freedom from religion

4.the heat

You got me here, the heat was absolutely brutal. Couldn't stand it in the summer.

5. the accent

most in FL didn't have much of an accent sans the more rural areas, and guess what to them WE have the accent

6.racism

What is this 1955? I can tell you this schools I went to in FL were WAY more integrated and diverse then up here.

7. Antisemitism

what??

8. hunting and meat culture (barbecue) rodeo etc.

Barbecue is awesome, how is this possibly a negative. It's one of the biggest things I miss about down south. As far as the rest who cares? No one says you have to hunt or attend the rodeo.

9. a dearth of ethnic foods

As good as NY? No , but plenty of the largest cities have a lot more than you may think.

10.lack of respect for education

having attended school on LI and down south I do believe the schools here are better (at least where I attended), but no where near the difference some make it out to be.

I first tried PA. Our part was provincial and not at all open to outsiders.

We went further west and found that northern Ohio is kind of like "Long Island light".
More ethnic diversity.
They actually LIKE New Yorkers and have no per-conceived negative idea about us.

Close to the North Coast. Very beachy. Wineries. Antique shops.Art Galleries.

Good schools. Probably average by LI standards, but our daughter is in AP classes so it's all good. (property taxes $1200 per year)

Way warmer than much of NY State and New England. Less humid.

No. I really do not miss Long Island. I wish I'd thought of the mid west earlier.
Responses in bold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2014, 06:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
I'll never understand how so many Long Islanders think they will find happiness in the south.

Other than a winter home in FL, which we are thinking about; I'd never move there.

Here's why -

1. they don't like us.

I don't find this to be true - at least not the area of NC that I moved to.

2. monolithic politics

IMO, LI is more political than where I moved to

3. monolithic religion

I am not in the bible belt, so not true in my area

4.the heat

I can't refute this. I cannot take it. It's not that it's just a little hotter in NC than on LI. It's SO much hotter. It's hot in the morning, sweltering in the late morning and afternoon, and still hot at night. And when it's humid, I don't even want to go outside. It just sucks the life right of you. The sun is also much stronger here.

5. the accent

Meh - that is not very prevalent where I am given the large # of migrants from all over the country.

6.racism

LI is EXTREMELY racist! I have seen no racism in my area.

7. Antisemitism

I think this is a stereotype. I have not experienced this at all, and I am Jewish.

no one is forcing anyone to hunt, or buy a gun. Is NY a vegan state? I don't get this one at all.

Naturally, NY has more of everything.

Quite the contrary where I live. Teachers here make squat and residents are all up in arms about it. It is a serious problem here, and it is being addressed. If people didn't respect education, teachers pay wouldn't make the news here almost weekly.

We went further west and found that northern Ohio is kind of like "Long Island light".
More ethnic diversity.
They actually LIKE New Yorkers and have no per-conceived negative idea about us.

Good schools. Probably average by LI standards, but our daughter is in AP classes so it's all good. (property taxes $1200 per year)

No. I really do not miss Long Island. I wish I'd thought of the mid west earlier.
I have only lived in NC for 5.5 weeks, so take my replies (in bold) for what they're worth. Despite how I answered, I am miserable here. I am horribly homesick and wish that I had never left NY.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:36 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,146,742 times
Well...
Quote:

Here's why -

1. they don't like us.
I don't like us either, so they may be onto something.

2. monolithic politics
Very true, unlike the Great State of New York.

3. monolithic religion
Yes, as the Mosques, Hindu Temples, Catholic Churches, Synagogues and Baptists Churches show.

4.the heat
Yeah, but girls in Daisy Dukes are awesome.

5. the accent
Wha accent yous tawking abowt?

6.racism
True, but at least you can see them by the sheets they wear.

7. Antisemitism
Ummm Eric Cantor?

Uh, rodeo is out West, but BBQ rocks!

BBQ isn't an ethnic food?

True, wish I had a mastery of punctuation and sentence structure.

When did PA become part of the South? Good for them if they did.

More ethnic diversity.
I'm sure my friends in Cleveland and C-bus would love to be considers Lite Islanders.

Old 07-06-2014, 01:52 PM

852 posts, read 969,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
I have lived in the United Kingdom (4 years) and Australia (18 months). I am moving to New Zealand in late September. I am not inclined to write an essay describing the differences between California, Switzerland, AUS, NZ, Canada, and the rest of the 1st world. To disdainfully brush aside several countries as "being the same" reveals your own provincial sensibilities to anyone with the most meagre critical thinking skills.
Unbelievable.

All of those places are over-taxed, over-regulated nanny-states which seek to control their citizens lives and finances to the Nth-degree; and engage in social engineering- just like the current US.

A few eggsamples:[sic]:

You can't bring a power tool into Switzerland, because such are a regulated commodity there. They are afraid that if people have the ability to do things for themselves, it will take business away from the tradesmen.

The UK? It's an Orwellian surveillance-state, with facial-recognition cameras and microphones on the street, which keep tabs on all citizen; while the politicians are using their citizen's resources to fill the country with third-worlders [just like in the US]; and where parents are arrested and children taken away for being overweight!

Canada? Mennonites are being forced to flee, because of constant state interference with their families. Several Christian preachers are currently in jail there, for merely preaching the Biblical view on homosexuality.

Australia and New Zealand? Same BS as NY and CA. -The pervert-sexual agenda is being promoted by the state, wioth all who oppose it being punished. In AU. a guy was arrested for merely sitting in his car on his own property listening to the radio, because he had had a few drinks.

These are some of the least free places on earth; with big, over-blown governments which are seeking to control every human endeavor; interaction; and movement.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:21 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Unbelievable.

All of those places are over-taxed, over-regulated nanny-states which seek to control their citizens lives and finances to the Nth-degree; and engage in social engineering- just like the current US.

You can't bring a power tool into Switzerland, because such are a regulated commodity there. They are afraid that if people have the ability to do things for themselves, it will take business away from the tradesmen.

The UK? It's an Orwellian surveillance-state, with facial-recognition cameras and microphones on the street, which keep tabs on all citizen; while the politicians are using their citizen's resources to fill the country with third-worlders [just like in the US]; and where parents are arrested and children taken away for being overweight!

Canada? Mennonites are being forced to flee, because of constant state interference with their families. Several Christian preachers are currently in jail there, for merely preaching the Biblical view on homosexuality.

Australia and New Zealand? Same BS as NY and CA. -The pervert-sexual agenda is being promoted by the state, wioth all who oppose it being punished. In AU. a guy was arrested for merely sitting in his car on his own property listening to the radio, because he had had a few drinks.

These are some of the least free places on earth; with big, over-blown governments which are seeking to control every human endeavor; interaction; and movement.
Speaking of liberties, the US has one of the highest percentage of its citizens behind bars.

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Speaking of liberties, the US has one of the highest percentage of its citizens behind bars.
that's because of drugs, most of which is probably cannabis. I really wish this country would decriminalize cannabis. it's a PLANT, like basil or parsley that can be consumed when dried out. it is so hypocritical to criminalize cannabis and not tobacco or alcohol, which by the way are lethal, while cannabis actually helps sick people.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:58 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Unbelievable.

1. One cannot bring Kinder eggs into the US. Children may choke on the inside prize. One may not ship alcohol via the USPS, for some reason (holdover from the Prissy Era?). Countries around the world sport all manner of seemingly bizarre importation laws.

2. After the Snowden revelations, no American can criticise the UK's surveillance culture while the NSA goes largely unchallenged. We're the country that systematically cheered as civil liberties were decimated post 9/11. As for the seizure of obese children, that was an extraordinary example incited by allegations of physical abuse. A similar incident occurred in New Mexico, by the way.

3. Those arrests pertain to "hate speech" laws. These are rather interesting laws to protect minority groups from undue harassment. The vocally anti-gay Christians have resorted to very underhanded tactics to drum up support, such as depicting gays as animal-like sex addicts and pedophiles. All societies set limits to free speech, and Canada has decided that this sort of slander merits a limitation. The Menonites' chief problem in Canada seems to stem from their intransigence towards cooperating with Quebec's education ministry.

4. Australia is hardly progressive on the "pervert-sexual agenda". Their courts struck down the first statute allowing for gay marriage in the Australian Capital Territory. As for the "arrested in car while drinking" episode, similar statutes exist in the US. "Operating" a vehicle under the influence is considered an offence.

You come off as extremely homophobic. Most of your stated quibbles stem from the relatively recent shifts in law that emancipate LGBT persons from legally condoned discrimination (or worse). As a gay person, that thrills me.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:44 PM

Quote:
1. One cannot bring Kinder eggs into the US. Children may choke on the inside prize. One may not ship alcohol via the USPS, for some reason (holdover from the Prissy Era?). Countries around the world sport all manner of seemingly bizarre importation laws.

2. After the Snowden revelations, no American can criticise the UK's surveillance culture while the NSA goes largely unchallenged. We're the country that systematically cheered as civil liberties were decimated post 9/11. As for the seizure of obese children, that was an extraordinary example incited by allegations of physical abuse. A similar incident occurred in New Mexico, by the way.

3. Those arrests pertain to "hate speech" laws. These are rather interesting laws to protect minority groups from undue harassment. The vocally anti-gay Christians have resorted to very underhanded tactics to drum up support, such as depicting gays as animal-like sex addicts and pedophiles. All societies set limits to free speech, and Canada has decided that this sort of slander merits a limitation. The Menonites' chief problem in Canada seems to stem from their intransigence towards cooperating with Quebec's education ministry.

4. Australia is hardly progressive on the "pervert-sexual agenda". Their courts struck down the first statute allowing for gay marriage in the Australian Capital Territory. As for the "arrested in car while drinking" episode, similar statutes exist in the US. "Operating" a vehicle under the influence is considered an offence.

You come off as extremely homophobic. Most of your stated quibbles stem from the relatively recent shifts in law that emancipate LGBT persons from legally condoned discrimination (or worse). As a gay person, that thrills me.
You seem to misunderstand. I'm not saying the US is any better than the mentioned places. I'm saying that they are no freer than what the US has become; and are not a good alternative for those like myself who are seeking freer places with less intrusive governments.

And why shouldn't I be able to "discriminate" against whomever I want to? (as long as I am not a representative of the gov't). To restrict my choices and ability to control my assets and property as i see fit, for whatever reason, while protecting certain classes ability to make their own choices/shielding them from the cultural consequences of those choices, THAT is just as discriminatory!

And my examples were just to show practical examples of the general degradation of freedom in the aforementioned countries. I could into much more detail. (But won't).

And of course they are "recent shifts in law". 30 years ago, Australia was the place to go. Then again, 30 years ago, LI was pretty nice, too. What does that have to do with the present? I don't know about you, but I live in the present- so the way things used to be in any country, really doesn't mean anything.

Sheesh- even Pitcairn Island, with it's 50 inhabitants and thousands of miles from anywhere, is governed by New Zealand and a council of outsiders...... The freest places seem to be some of the South American countries...where even if their laws don't seem so "free", they are not enforced/people ignore them, and carry on life as it always was- and that's the way it should be.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grilba View Post
Yep, you got that right. Disgusting, isn't it?

In CO. someone is behind bars for collecting rainwater on their own property!

A teenager in TX. is facing LIFE in prison for selling pot-brownies.

Armed goons with guns and badges smash into people's homes; often killing the inhabitants and/or their pets; often based on the word of some criminal who is enticed to snitch for a more lenient sentence; often just to execute a search warrant; often at the wrong adress....all because someone may have chosen to use a plant or a powder as an intoxicant, instead of the government-approved and heavily-taxed alcohol.

I don't use intoxicants, period- but I thought being "free" was supposed to be about making one's own choices and dealing with the consequences or rewards of those choices? Those armed goons with the guns and badges are the ones who should be behind bars, like the vicious animals they are.

I know quite a few people who have left the US in the last 10 years. Some to Chile; some to Panama; one to Honduras [none of those would be my choice] and they are all very happy, and amazed at how free life can be, and how little government interference there is in most other places, compared to here.

The US is done! When the dollar crashes, there will be chaos and Martial Law...and if you think it's bad here now......

Old 07-08-2014, 08:09 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
. The Menonites' chief problem in Canada seems to stem from their intransigence towards cooperating with Quebec's education ministry.

That's an odd statement as there are basically no Mennonites living in Quebec. Are you perhaps thinking of another province or another group?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island