Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 02:54 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
BINGO!

Was OK at 1st & just ignored, but it just got to be way more than I wanted to deal with. Found it hard being just the 2 of us. If had friends & family that felt the same as us I suppose we could have managed living there & enjoying all the area has to offer.
"Well bless yer little heart, loribell, but if yew and yer better half had a personal relationship with Jaysus and came to our church ev'ry Sunday, yew'd have plenny o friens! Ah'll pray fer y'all! Have a blessed day!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetties View Post
it is so good to rehash this topic yet again.
ita!

Old 06-17-2014, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Dude, I didn't start this thread and what I stated is clearly an opinion. Did that really need to be spelled out for you?

(see, I still got some of the ole 'tude)

I couldn't care less if someone is thrilled to death to live on a 40x100 and thinks the people on LI are the bee's knees as far as humanity. Someone made a post (and I kind of agree with jetties, but it's an alleged newbie who posted the thread) so I responded to it with my experience, taking the OP at face value. Trust me when I tell you I have a laundry list of comparative experiences, I just don't have time to write 10 paragraphs, nor am I all that interested in doing a lot of encouraging to get anyone to move here, if I'm being perfectly honest You can trust me on that. I'm very happy that you're very happy where you are.
LOL! You'll never lose it, girl!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,172 times
I wanted to enjoy city life for a few more years, so I'm right outside DC. So far, I'm loving it! When it's time to buy a house and have kids, it'll be time to hit the suburbs somewhere.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:15 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,207,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
"Well bless yer little heart, loribell, but if yew and yer better half had a personal relationship with Jaysus and came to our church ev'ry Sunday, yew'd have plenny o friens! Ah'll pray fer y'all! Have a blessed day!"
Here we go again. All I did was answer OP question honestly. You are fishing. To each their own will ignore your posts in the future. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Including me. You as well.

Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 AM

413 posts, read 598,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Well that should teach you not to go to central Florida! Don't go; you won't have a traffic problem coming back!

"Badge of honor?" Well upon learning someone is from "New Yawk" many locals get out the shotguns and ALL state troopers get out the traffic ticket book ... heavy is the head that wears the crown (or badge)!
Just because my Mom (rest her soul) moved down there and nearly started a fist fight in a deli when she ordered a pastrami sandwich and they asked if she wanted lettuce, tomato and mayo on it...doesn't mean all ex-pats have an attitude!

Old 06-18-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Here we go again. All I did was answer OP question honestly. You are fishing. To each their own will ignore your posts in the future. Everyone has a right to their opinion. Including me. You as well.
It's called ... SARCASM!

I was making fun of the overzealous proselytizing southerners, not you.

Old 06-18-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
Just because my Mom (rest her soul) moved down there and nearly started a fist fight in a deli when she ordered a pastrami sandwich and they asked if she wanted lettuce, tomato and mayo on it...doesn't mean all ex-pats have an attitude!
I'm surprised she was even ATTEMPTING the "pastrami" down there ...

Old 06-18-2014, 11:57 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post

Everything is a little bit more stressful, expensive and aggravating in NY Metro/LI area. That isn't an opinion, that is a simple fact of life. To some it's worth it, to some it's not. To some it's worth it most of the time or part of the time, some not so much. Its part of the badge of honor ex-pats wear when they go somewhere else and say they're from NY and people get out of their way...and they grin about it.
Actually, that IS a perfect example of an opinion rather than a fact. Some items may be more expensive but many are not and the New York area supports much more competition for the dollar and good shoppers can use that to their advantage. Stress and aggravation are 100% in the eyes of the beholder. You're stressed and aggravated? Well, that's too bad for you but doesn't translate to everyone. A lot of people are aggravated and stressed by the slow pace and personal intrusion found in other areas as illustrated above.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:22 PM

118 posts, read 160,772 times
I'm not from Long Island, or the Northeast for that matter, but can someone please tell me what NYers see in Florida? I will never get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island