Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 02:32 PM

413 posts, read 599,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually, that IS a perfect example of an opinion rather than a fact. Some items may be more expensive but many are not and the New York area supports much more competition for the dollar and good shoppers can use that to their advantage. Stress and aggravation are 100% in the eyes of the beholder. You're stressed and aggravated? Well, that's too bad for you but doesn't translate to everyone. A lot of people are aggravated and stressed by the slow pace and personal intrusion found in other areas as illustrated above.

Wow, Captain Literal. Do I really need to dredge up the economic figures on COL and how it relates to stress?! Any 3 second Google search will do it. If economic security, traffic, taxes, "competition for the dollar" aren't clearly more stressful than someone annoyingly saying "howdy" or asking what church you belong to then I guess you've just got me nailed on this one. Start that survey on whether people think LI or life down south is "more stressful" (regardless of preference) and see how it comes out. THAT'S opinion for you. Oh, and if exorbitant taxes isn't a passive aggressive means of "personal intrusion," I don't know what is. Try to get a permit for a shed lately?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 02:45 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
I'm not from Long Island, or the Northeast for that matter, but can someone please tell me what NYers see in Florida? I will never get it.

Much more laid back life style, year-round boating, motorcycling, water activities, cheaper COL, housing etc. Low taxes. etc. etc.

My parents and sister love it there. For me more than a decade was enough. I could also come up with an extensive list of negatives but I will leave it as positive to answer your question.

Old 06-18-2014, 02:53 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually, that IS a perfect example of an opinion rather than a fact. Some items may be more expensive but many are not and the New York area supports much more competition for the dollar and good shoppers can use that to their advantage. Stress and aggravation are 100% in the eyes of the beholder. You're stressed and aggravated? Well, that's too bad for you but doesn't translate to everyone. A lot of people are aggravated and stressed by the slow pace and personal intrusion found in other areas as illustrated above.
I have found this to be true. You can get much better deals in our area on things such as jewelry, clothing, soda ("pop" or "CoCola"), even cars, than in Ye Olde Southland. You can get better deals on supermarket items too, including fresh produce (even that which was actually grown in the south) when you compare LI supermarkets to Piggly Wiggly, etc. The only outlier is the SuperWalmart groceries down south. They kill LI prices with the exception of the weekly sales on certain items and then LI can compete. When it comes to services, like the cost of having cable television and internet service, auto repair and maintenance, veterinarians, dentists, doctors, haircuts, cleaners, etc., you get NO bargain down south either as the prices are about the same as around here, and if there aren't many providers of a certain service in the area, you can actually pay more than we do here for them.

As for stress when it's TOO SLOW ... believe it or not, marigold, but some people DO get stressed when other people are moving at a glacial pace compared to yourself, when it takes WAY TOO LONG to conduct simple business because the "more relaxed" person refuses to move at a faster pace PLUS is so laid back they keep forgetting things or doing things wrong which must be done over again, when you go to a business that is supposed to be open, but it's not and you see a sign on the door that says, "Gone to the Beach!" on it, etc. And fast drivers can be WAY STRESSED by slower paced traffic. I know a transplanted NY'er who goes absolutely NUTS because down there when a driver is waiting to make a left turn, they will stay behind the crosswalk line and NOT pull up into the actual intersection, which results in many missed lights and taking a LOOONG time for a lineup of cars to make their left turns. Wouldn't that drive you nuts? But in some places that's how they are used to doing things, just like those people think it is normal to intrude on your personal life in terms of religion. And the transplant just has to deal with it.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis XVI View Post
I'm not from Long Island, or the Northeast for that matter, but can someone please tell me what NYers see in Florida? I will never get it.
Because it's where Grandma and Grandpa is for many, many Long Islanders. I agree with you that Florida is horrible.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:29 PM

118 posts, read 160,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Much more laid back life style, year-round boating, motorcycling, water activities, cheaper COL, housing etc. Low taxes. etc. etc.

My parents and sister love it there. For me more than a decade was enough. I could also come up with an extensive list of negatives but I will leave it as positive to answer your question.
But I went to school with people from places like NYC, San Francisco, Los Angeleles and the ones that do move, they always end up so many different places - London, Seattle, Portland, Boulder, Vermont, Boston, etc. A bit more adventurous. But Long Islanders its always Florida and the rest - North or South Carolina. But guess my question was answered -- thats where grandma and grandpa live .

As an outsider, I much prefer NY. Granted, I've only been to the wealthy parts of LI (Hamptons and North Shore) but they seemed nicer than Charlotte or Raleigh. My favorite part of the NY metro (outside of the city) is Northern Westchester - beautiful.

Old 06-18-2014, 03:29 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I have found this to be true. You can get much better deals in our area on things such as jewelry, clothing, soda ("pop" or "CoCola"), even cars, than in Ye Olde Southland. You can get better deals on supermarket items too, including fresh produce (even that which was actually grown in the south) when you compare LI supermarkets to Piggly Wiggly, etc. The only outlier is the SuperWalmart groceries down south. They kill LI prices with the exception of the weekly sales on certain items and then LI can compete. When it comes to services, like the cost of having cable television and internet service, auto repair and maintenance, veterinarians, dentists, doctors, haircuts, cleaners, etc., you get NO bargain down south either as the prices are about the same as around here, and if there aren't many providers of a certain service in the area, you can actually pay more than we do here for them.

As for stress when it's TOO SLOW ... believe it or not, marigold, but some people DO get stressed when other people are moving at a glacial pace compared to yourself, when it takes WAY TOO LONG to conduct simple business because the "more relaxed" person refuses to move at a faster pace PLUS is so laid back they keep forgetting things or doing things wrong which must be done over again, when you go to a business that is supposed to be open, but it's not and you see a sign on the door that says, "Gone to the Beach!" on it, etc. And fast drivers can be WAY STRESSED by slower paced traffic. I know a transplanted NY'er who goes absolutely NUTS because down there when a driver is waiting to make a left turn, they will stay behind the crosswalk line and NOT pull up into the actual intersection, which results in many missed lights and taking a LOOONG time for a lineup of cars to make their left turns. Wouldn't that drive you nuts? But in some places that's how they are used to doing things, just like those people think it is normal to intrude on your personal life in terms of religion. And the transplant just has to deal with it.
I really don't understand where you've experienced this type of living other than LI - you're conveniently nonspecific... and certainly don't understand where the "glacial pace" is seen. It just seems like generalizations gone awry.

I've found in my experience of living on LI and in "the south" that the people who generalize about things like church just simply did not do their proper due diligence and research - or talked to a guy who knew a guy and think they know. You won't find an issue like that where I live and I'll bet you twingles doesn't have that issue either... I could drop you at a backyard BBQ in my neighborhood and bet the ranch that not a single person will ask what church you go to let alone bible thump (I've never seen it in going on 4 years now)... There's mostly part-time Catholics here just like my experienced on LI. Religion aside - the discussions won't be about NASCAR or their gun racks in the pickup either. Speaking of drivers they are just as insane and stupid as they are on LI. It's the suburbs - just cleaner.

None of this is to say that YOU would like it... not any more than you would enjoy living in the child rearing suburbs further out on LI. But as a direct comparison to those suburbs, you're way off the mark.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
I really don't understand where you've experienced this type of living other than LI - you're conveniently nonspecific... and certainly don't understand where the "glacial pace" is seen. It just seems like generalizations gone awry.

I've found in my experience of living on LI and in "the south" that the people who generalize about things like church just simply did not do their proper due diligence and research - or talked to a guy who knew a guy and think they know. You won't find an issue like that where I live and I'll bet you twingles doesn't have that issue either... I could drop you at a backyard BBQ in my neighborhood and bet the ranch that not a single person will ask what church you go to let alone bible thump (I've never seen it in going on 4 years now)... There's mostly part-time Catholics here just like my experienced on LI. Religion aside - the discussions won't be about NASCAR or their gun racks in the pickup either. Speaking of drivers they are just as insane and stupid as they are on LI. It's the suburbs - just cleaner.

None of this is to say that YOU would like it... not any more than you would enjoy living in the child rearing suburbs further out on LI. But as a direct comparison to those suburbs, you're way off the mark.
After 5.5 years... Not one person has asked me or my wife what religion or Church we attend. If anything I think these people need more religion in their life. I lmao every time I read that.

Last edited by BigMike50; 06-18-2014 at 04:42 PM..

Old 06-18-2014, 04:37 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
That's why these generalizations are ridiculous. One time I was doing a fieldwork placement for my masters degree and I was asked point blank what church I go to-- there was no prior context to suggest that I went to church. Know where that was? Brooklyn! Conversely, I've never gotten such questions the many times I've been down south.

It's just interesting that certain posters are getting riled up about posts that honestly weren't that disparaging of Long Island. The OP just wants to know where people who leave Long Island go and how they like it. So, yeah, you're going to get people talking about what they like better about their new place. Can't take the heat? Get out the kitchen!

Old 06-18-2014, 04:42 PM

483 posts, read 670,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
After 5.5 years... Not one person has asked me or my wife what religion or Church we attend. If anything I think these people need more religion in their life. I lmao every time is read that.
You are very, very lucky. In the states I was, esp the south central, they asked on a regular basis, a Jewish person I worked with her home was set on fire, and they are constantly in the news for anti reproductive rights and creationism in schools. Atheists have been often harassed.

Antiscience bill in Oklahoma | NCSE

– Atheist Oklahoma High School Student Protests Ten Commandments In Classrooms

Old 06-18-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

I have already explained my extensive Southern "pedigree" to you in the other times you have tirelessly and repeatedly questioned my experiences in the South. I have ancestors that actually fought in the Revolutionary War. My family has a homestead in South Carolina that is older than that ... and relatives still own it. I can trace my bloodline on my mom's side of the family back to England in the 1400s and know when the first ancestors immigrated to America (1600s) and they immigrated to ... drum roll ... the South. I have blood relatives currently living in the real Southern areas, not the "Southern areas that are turning into South Florida," such as where you moved to.

Yet of course that is never enough for you, as you think you are an EXPERT on the South because you moved to the "south" a couple of years ago. You don't know the real South. And if you did, you may even agree with me that the people are slower moving than you are finding living in a place chock full of Yankee transplants. And I swear I have seen a "gone to the beach!" sign on a store where it should have been open and the people inside should have been working! Slower pace!

I am talking about my experiences with southerners who live in the mainly untainted south, without a ton of Yankees moved in on top of them, like the "south" you ended up in. Even when I am speaking of Florida, I speak of the parts of Florida where Yankees like yourself do not move to. For instance, I bet you don't even know where the Redneck Riviera is. Real Southerners do and they go there for summer vacation and spring break. I have been there only by virtue of being related to real Southerners.

Did you ever hear the saying about Florida made up by a born Floridian? The saying is, "The more south you go, the more north you get." That is the type of "south" you live in ... similar to how southern Florida ended up. A "south" that is not itself anymore.

The pace is indeed slower in the non-Yankee-ized South. And, yes, I do find it annoying. My mom moved back to the Real South and she now finds it annoying because of being a LI transplant for so long.

I notice you're conveniently kvetching at me about my "HIGHLY DUBIOUS AND SUSPECT EXPERIENCE PERTAINING TO THE SOUTH" without giving me any of the ACTUAL PRICES you pay for things like groceries at grocery stores other than SuperWalmart, cable television and internet service, cell phone monthly service, auto repair and maintenance, veterinarians, dentists, doctors, haircuts, cleaners, etc. I bet is it NO BARGAIN and very similar to what you paid on Long Island in the Yankee-ized part of the "south" you live in just like it's no huge bargain in many parts of the Real South. I don't think I am too off the mark on that one, as I also know several Yankees who moved to southern NC. As a matter of fact, one just complain to me, "Why am I only paying $10.00 less for my cable TV and internet for the same services I had with [the same mega cable company they had up north] down here? Shouldn't it be cheaper considering the salaries they pay people down here?"

Maybe instead of attempting to pick me apart, you should go back to shilling in favor of the school redistricting in Union County ... aren't you conveniently one of the "in" people with an unfair advantage over everybody else, as you work for the school district so YOUR KIDS will not be affected, as they can follow you like little ducklings to attend the elementary school you work in, regardless of what your home is actually districted for? I see the rackets in the school districts are working out for you down there. Just make sure you continue not to post on Facebook about it since you don't have a union to hide behind and you're afraid people will complain to your boss and possibly get you dismissed and replaced by someone else salivating for a FT job down there. Which brings me to another point: there are POLITICAL RACKETS EVERYWHERE ripping off the taxpayers and making unfair rules to suit the "in crowd." And that includes the Real South. It's certainly not just Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island